Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Might want to implement these here

IMG_7439.jpeg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure about the first but very much agree with the second and have suggested it myself previously. We had a period where refs only stopped the game for a head injury or for an obviously serious injury but now they do just when a player stays down which, 99% of the time is just to break up any flow in the game.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not sure about the first but very much agree with the second and have suggested it myself previously. We had a period where refs only stopped the game for a head injury or for an obviously serious injury but now they do just when a player stays down which, 99% of the time is just to break up any flow in the game.
Re 1 - Refs shoud just ensure players leave by the nearest touch line when being subbed off, not taking a slow walk across the pitch to waste time. The law is there that allows players to leave by the nearest touch line, just change it to state players will leave by the nearest touchline.

Re 2 - Seems like a very good idea. Currently players have to remain off the pitch for 30 seconds if they are treated, which is why so many now take the ploy of laying "injured" until the ref stops the game. Then after a bit of discussion with a team mate and a stretch they are fit to carry on and the physio is waved away after standing gormlessly on the touch line for a minute with his bag and magic sponge ready to go.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've thought on some rule like the second, before realising it adds a punishment to those genuinely injured. i reckon it'll add to dodgy tackles, especially at pivotal movments, to take a key player out for a few minutes.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I suggested similar measures in the Sin Bin Trial thread a few weeks ago, so I am in, and will claim I invented it if people like it, and deny ever having had the thought if people think it's pants.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

I don't quite get the second rule. Is the referee duty bound to stop the game after 15 seconds? If so, isn't the player lying on the ground achieving exactly what he originally intended, to get the game stopped? What if a team is counter attacking and the opposition striker is lying on the ground, does the game automatically get stopped and the attack not allowed to continue?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't quite get the second rule. Is the referee duty bound to stop the game after 15 seconds? If so, isn't the player lying on the ground achieving exactly what he originally intended, to get the game stopped? What if a team is counter attacking and the opposition striker is lying on the ground, does the game automatically get stopped and the attack not allowed to continue?
We were told a few years ago that the refs would only stop the game if there was a head injury but it now seems they stop for anything, even if the player is sitting up, centimetres from the touchline. Somewhere over the last few years they have now decided to stop play for any injury when a player stays down when to most it is clear that the player stays down to break up the play. Even now, I believe refs could insist a physio comes on to assess a player if they stay down which would mean a mandatory 30 seconds off the pitch. If they did that it would discourage the fake injuries. The OP is just taking that a step further with an extended period off the pitch. I hear what you say about genuine injuries but you could argue that extra time for assessment might reduce long term injuries for players returning to the pitch too soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why can't the physio come on and treat the 'injured' player on the pitch, like they do in rugby? It would stop the fake injury timewasting overnight.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Dunk went down Sunday needing a personal assistant to massage certain parts of his body. But no, he's up in seconds playing on. That man has (no) balls.
Having said that, I think we played our part in the delaying tactics as much as many but nowhere near the likes of Villa & Fulham. Amex fans may see our team differently when we play away. Steele or Bart holding the ball just before the ref gets his card out, and then handing the ball to Dunk who takes a few seconds more before passing it back to the keeper.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Rule 1 is un-necessary. Player leaves by closest touchline. This should be enforced
more than it is.

Rule 2 - bring it in now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here