Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MK Dons v Albion U21s, Bristol Street Motors Trophy round of 32, Tuesday December 5, 7:00pm

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think they have to play at least 7 players that played in the last competitive match or they get a fine (which I believe is quite disproportionate). It's done so the youngsters are able to play against proper teams.

Personally I'd be fuming if we were under this and whilst I want our youngsters to do well, it's a joke we have a team in this competition. Alongside all the other U21s teams.
They made 11 changes from their last match.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They made 11 changes from their last match.
I guess they can expect a fine then. I was wrong about the 7, but it is 4.

Guidance
‘Full Available Strength’ means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

Qualifying Player means any Player who:​

1. had started the immediately preceding First Team Fixture (as defined below);
  2. subsequently starts the immediately following First Team Fixture;
  3. is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
  4. has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
  5. is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Guidance
‘Full Available Strength’ means the EFL Club must include at least four Qualifying Players in the ten outfield Players named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet.

3. is in the list of ten Players at the Club with the highest number of starting appearances in First Team Fixtures in the same Season;
  4. has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season); or
  5. is on standard loan from a Premier League Club or any EFL Club operating a Category One Academy.
They may be aiming for point 2 and start them at their next fixture to avoid problems.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'm not 100% sure. The rules (https://www.efl.com/documents/efl-trophy-rules/) state that in the group stages the 'invited' teams (the 16 Prem / Championship academies) shall be the away team but then goes on to state that in the knockout rounds whoever is drawn first is the home team. In last years competition there were definitely U21 teams at home in the round of 32.

Having said that in last night's fixtures all the academies were away, maybe that was just the way the draw panned out #shrug

Academy sides are normally always the away team even though group winners are meant to be drawn at home in the last 32. Only West Ham of the academy sides won their group this season but the game was moved to be at Colchester's ground.

Last season Everton, Man Utd and Chelsea won their groups. Everton ended up playing their last 32 game against Mansfield at home, Chelsea had their game against Peterborough moved to London Road. Man Utd ended up drawing Wolves and it was decided that Wolves would get home advantage.

I think they have to play at least 7 players that played in the last competitive match or they get a fine (which I believe is quite disproportionate). It's done so the youngsters are able to play against proper teams.

Personally I'd be fuming if we were under this and whilst I want our youngsters to do well, it's a joke we have a team in this competition. Alongside all the other U21s teams.

It's not 7 players from their last competitive match. They have to name a minimum of 4 outfield players who match one of the following criteria.

• Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture.
  • Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who has made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions this season.
  • Any player with forty or more first-team starting appearances in their career, including International matches.
  • Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL Category One Academy club.
  • A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition.
  • Any player out on a long loan term at a National League, National League North, or National League South team can play as long as the loaning team agree to allow the player to return for the match.
Looking at the MK Dons starting line up Tommy Smith, Anthony Stewart, Johnathan Leko, Ellis Harrison and Mo Eisa all have well over 40 first team starting appearances. So they meet the requirements.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Guidance

Last night:
MK Dons Team (from the Albion Matchday page):
MK Dons Team last match (home to Grimsby, 28/11/2023:
  • 1MacGillivray
  • 2Norman
  • 5O'Hora
  • 3Lewington
  • 14Tomlinson
  • 11Payne
  • 6Williams
  • 16Grant
  • 21Harvie
  • 8Gilbey
  • 18Dean

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Yes he is. Look again.
Not in the link you shared, but yeah - he's there on the u18s. I won't be blaming the MK Dons commentators for not trawling through our website looking at our kids but you would have thought they'd have at least known Leon Knight was a black man!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not in the link you shared, but yeah - he's there on the u18s. I won't be blaming the MK Dons commentators for not trawling through our website looking at our kids but you would have thought they'd have at least known Leon Knight was a black man!
The Men's teams are literally next to each other on that link.
MU21 MU18.
Under 18s are allowed to play in the U21s team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here