Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mixed Feelings About My Son's First Trip to The Amex

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Well done mate. Great piece of writing. My dad took me first when I was about 6, he loved football, my mum didn't understand it at all, my fondest and most vivid memories of my dad after all these years are us at the Albion together. He died in 1968 when I was 10 but left me with a love of the Albion infused with those early memories of him. I wish you at least 50 years of watching football together. All the best.

8ft_legs

Mar 2, 2009
Tun Wells
Been to many, many games with my folks over the years but as soon as me and my brother were old enough to pay for ourselves they used the money they werent spending on our tickets to upgrade to 1901 club without us and we are in WSU!!

kip

Aug 2, 2011
took my 5 year old to his first game last year, taking him to his second tonight and he can't wait

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just the right age to teach him "My old man said be a Palace fan" :thumbsup:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My uncle took me to my first game I can remember 48 years ago and I still hooked :fishing:and I am still in:love:with the:albion2: Have a good day:thumbsup:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I Hope you and your son have a good day, and there are lots of goals(Albion goals).

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Really good read that. Like you, my parents had no interest at all. It's my youngest's birthday today (14). He doesn't like football - in that he has no interest in scores of any team other than Albion, never watches on telly (even Albion) but he likes going to games. I have taken him home and away to a few games every season in the hope he gets the bug, but he takes the experience for what it is. Makes no sense to me, but I will keep trying.
The fact that he wanted to join me today (even though it is a long trip for us) may yet mean he sort of cares. I wonder what has to happen for the bug to take hold properly.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Lovely read - it's always a very poignant moment when you take your boy to the football for the first time. There are some excellent scenes in the film "Fever Pitch" that capture the emotions perfectly.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
I'll be taking my 6 year old son to The Amex for the first time tomorrow. Having always gone with my mates it's stirred up a few mixed emotions which I've summed up in my latest blog post. As this is actually about football and the Albion I thought I'd share it, though it's for a general audience so some of the Albion references may be a bit obvious for a long time die hard. Anyway [URL="http://slightlysuburbandad.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/boys-first-football-match/"]read it here.[/URL] Or not. Your choice.

I really enjoyed that. Nicely written. I'd go in the busier train without the waiting around personally, unless he gets easily claustrophobic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks again to everyone who had a read and left such positive comments.

The one good thing about last night was he had a blast and as of today we have another poor soul infected with the Albion disease. He even joined in with the "Albion, Albion" dirge. The trains which would have freaked him out a year ago were fine too.

Probably the most frustrating moment was our penalty.

Me: We've got a chance to score now so watch.

(I notice him jump up 5 seconds after everyone when it goes in)

Me: Did you watch?

Him: No but I knew something good happened because everyone stood up and cheered!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here