Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Lots of Met Police there who will have missed the chance of hitting people - what with there being no fans at football - so they’ll have been loving the chance tonight. Add to that the militant left and no surprise it’s kicked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
And yet there are posts condemning the protesters instead of the attack.

Goes without saying doesnt it that the attack on Sarah Everard is horrific and is widely condemned. Does it need mentioning in every post though even when talking about the separate topic of protesters at an illegal gathering?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Goes without saying doesnt it that the attack on Sarah Everard is horrific and is widely condemned. Does it need mentioning in every post though even when talking about the separate topic of protesters at an illegal gathering?

If it's a separate topic why didn't you start another thread instead of derailing one about the tragic disappearance and death of an innocent woman.

You'll find the Post New Thread button in the middle left of the Big Board page when you navigate to it. HTH :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Cant the attack and an aspect of the ‘protest be condemned...I do.

When tensions are running high in a local area, the Police should act sensitively and proportionally. Personally I don't think institutionally they are capable of that and a higher authority should have stepped in much earlier.

It was clear a number of female MPs on all sides of the house were worried about the Police response yesterday.

They should have just let it go. I'm pretty sure a few women's interests groups would NOT have gone on a rampage on Clapham High Street afterwards. The Common is huge, it's cold and windy out there and the crowd would have dispersed.

The Police had helicopters over the Common from this afternoon, I saw them from my garden. There were also officers stationed outside Clapham South tube station.

Just as we seen many times at football, they are often better at stoking up tension prior to an event than dealing with the aftermath. They should have gone out of their way to make sure some form of vigil was realised, but they didn't.

Do they teach "context" at Hendon ?

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If it's a separate topic why didn't you start another thread instead of derailing one about the tragic disappearance and death of an innocent woman.

You'll find the Post New Thread button in the middle left of the Big Board page when you navigate to it. HTH :thumbsup:

Dont know if you have noticed but numerous people are mentioning the protest, including yourself.
Are they all derailing the thread?
If you want it to be a separate thread why dont you use the post new thread button in the middle left of the big board page and instruct people to use that instead.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When tensions are running high in a local area, the Police should act proportionally. Personally I don't think institutionally they are capable of that and a higher authority should have stepped in much earlier.

It was clear a number of female MPs on all sides of the house were worried about the Police response yesterday.

They should have just let it go. I'm pretty sure a few women's interests groups would NOT have gone on a rampage on Clapham High Street afterwards. The Common is huge, it's cold and windy out there and the crowd would have dispersed.

The Police had helicopters over the common from this afternoon, I saw them from my garden.

Just as we seen many times at football, they are often better at stoking up tension prior to an event than dealing with the aftermath.

They may well be valid points...but I’d hazard a guess that no matter what police do before/during/after ..there will be an element jumping on this ‘cause’ ...hence my comment.
As regards higher authority..there’s a fair amount of chatter on Twitter by various commentators that Patels influence is all over what’s happened...which might be true...or not

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Yes this article is good and what is said in it is correct. The issue is that during history there is normally one act, when people say enough is enough and all the anger they feel about an injustice finally manifests it’s self somehow. In this instance a women has been murdered and even more shockingly a police officer has been charged with her murder. It’s probably true that a lot of women there were not there just to show respect. They are probably just sick of reading about women being abused in their homes because of domestic violence and sometimes murdered because their partner sees them as their possession. The sick *unts that prey on children and the sexual assaults on women that regularly go unpunished. How do you make it stop?

Ultimately humans are flawed, lockdown has undoubtedly, massively had a detrimental effect on domestic life. Violence begets violence and abuse begets abuse. Stable loving families are vital. The law has to get tough on all violence. Women, children and men who experience abuse must be taken seriously and helped. There is no easy fix for any of this, I wish there was.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I really disagree. It's not the mad people, it's the everyday pissed men/youths who leer and block your way that most of us have experience and fear of that sometimes spills over into something more scary. We need to train our sons to stop.

Mothers (and fathers too) who are not doing that already are to blame. Right?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They may well be valid points...but I’d hazard a guess that no matter what police do before/during/after ..there will be an element jumping on this ‘cause’ ...hence my comment.
As regards higher authority..there’s a fair amount of chatter on Twitter by various commentators that Patels influence is all over what’s happened...which might be true...or not

Ok, so I've witnessed a number of "demonstrations" in London over the years, mostly in the West End. Never attended one voluntarily, just happened to be around at the same time.

Yeah, you always get the random few jumping on the cause, but this was a few hundred people (mostly women) gathering round the band stand in a HUGE open space up the road.

Helicopters ?

Should have stayed well back and just let it go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On a week when a police officer has been charged with killing an innocent woman I’m not sure wading into women blatantly breaking the laws which were made for good reasons is a good look for the police
Corrected for you. Are you so sure you're right now?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe labour will actually do something and vote down the bill to extend covid powers which has allowed this to happen.
Let's hope that Labour don't join the ranks of the stupid Covid deniers. I don't think it would be good for anybody if they came put in favour of Trump's views on the issue, do you?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dont know if you have noticed but numerous people are mentioning the protest, including yourself.
Are they all derailing the thread?
If you want it to be a separate thread why dont you use the post new thread button in the middle left of the big board page and instruct people to use that instead.

This.

This thread has evolved from concern then sadness for Sarah Everard, and a natural discussion about the safety of females.

To people slagging off the police at protests and others with a different viewpoint.

Your opinion is valid, you haven’t unilaterally derailed this thread.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And yet there are posts condemning the protesters instead of the attack.

Because they were deliberately breaking the law. Not accidentally - there had been legal to-and-froing, and the law had conformed it was illegal. The original organisers called it off. That obviously wasn't enough for some people who thought they were above the law.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because they were deliberately breaking the law. Not accidentally - there had been legal to-and-froing, and the law had conformed it was illegal. The original organisers called it off. That obviously wasn't enough for some people who thought they were above the law.

Bit more complicated than that I'm afraid. The courts left the decision to the Police who (as we will find out) weren't great at engaging with the organisers. There was no declaration from the Judge that the event was illegal, far from it. Only that it inappropriate for them to intervene.

It's a huge grey area whether peaceful protests are allowed under the law as it currently stands because it's been so badly drafted.

Anyway, it went ahead and the MET now have to deal with whether this is a good look.

[tweet]1370842262201110533[/tweet]

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Can anyone tell me when the last peaceful protest with zero trouble actually occurred?

Any peaceful protest, involving an emotive subject has potential to blow up because extremist groups will hijack these events that mostly have good intentions, and cause mayhem, we’ve seen this several times in just the last year.

Regardless of that, with all the restrictions currently on all of us, with outdoor gatherings, funerals, church etc, mass gatherings such as this should not be happening and the police were in a position where they had to be there to enforce

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can anyone tell me when the last peaceful protest with zero trouble actually occurred?

Are you serious ?

Peaceful protest take place all the time. Most don't make the news.

The MET had ample opportunity to allow something to happen and they bottled it.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Any peaceful protest, involving an emotive subject has potential to blow up because extremist groups will hijack these events that mostly have good intentions, and cause mayhem, we’ve seen this several times in just the last year.

Regardless of that, with all the restrictions currently on all of us, with outdoor gatherings, funerals, church etc, mass gatherings such as this should not be happening and the police were in a position where they had to be there to enforce

Are you suggesting there were 'extremist groups' on Clapham Common today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here