[News] Missing submersible.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
For anyone that prefers a happy ending - and can stomach the mail website - here's a story of some telecomms engineers that were rescued from the sea floor in a sub. An extract below. It's well worth a read to find out what happened to the bag of shite.

"Mallinson had another worry. His stomach, still unsettled from the pub’s meat pie, was wracked with cramps. At last he had to act. With no toilet, he used a plastic bag and knotted it.

The stench made the stuffy conditions worse still. The curved walls dripped with condensed vapour from their breath, and when a drop of water splashed on Chapman’s face his first thought, close to panic, was that the outer shell was starting to leak"

The tale of two Brits ho sat stranded on the Atlantic seabed https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Also what explains the knocking sounds every 30 minutes?

Classic chinese whispers.

The rescuers report underwater noise from an unknown source -> a talking head on the TV says "well, as an experienced submariner, Nargeolet would know that the drill is to knock on the hour and every 30 minutes after that" -> Media reports that knocking is being heard every half hour.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I have to say that I have little sympathy for 4 very wealthy individuals who participated in a vanity project, in a vessel where the owner had a less than stellar attitude towards safety - and a fifth who was being very well paid and should have known better - getting lost 4KM down in the North Atlantic. Contrast the media attention and the effort made there with the effort put into to trying to find the hundreds lost in the tragic refugee boat sinking a few days ago in the Ionian Sea.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/syria-migrants-boat-sinking-titanic-submersive-missing-rcna90336

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I stand to be corrected,but a couple of points hopefully the eight hours delay in Oceangate declaring that they had lost contact with the submersible will be disclosed along with what appears to reports that American Navy had recorded an implosion around the time (Sunday) and in the area of the missing submersible. Why keep these details secret?

Nicks

I stand to be corrected,but a couple of points hopefully the eight hours delay in Oceangate declaring that they had lost contact with the submersible will be disclosed along with what appears to reports that American Navy had recorded an implosion around the time (Sunday) and in the area of the missing submersible. Why keep these details secret?
OPSEC 😉

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't think the US Navy is in the speculation game. Wanted evidence.

Took a fair time for the ROVs to get to the scene, but apparently they went straight to the correct location.

Seems a few people knew what happened, but opted to stay quiet...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the interview with James Cameron sums it up.

"We celebrate innovation, right? But you shouldn't be using an experimental vehicle for paying passengers that aren't themselves deep ocean engineers," Cameron said.

When I read that I wondered what he thought a deep ocean engineer could have done when the sub imploded. The paying passengers knew the risk they were taking. They signed waivers that mentioned possibility of death three times.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How do you know they didn’t tell the only people that needed to be told ie family ? Everybody else is irrelevant.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When I read that I wondered what he thought a deep ocean engineer could have done when the sub imploded. The paying passengers knew the risk they were taking. They signed waivers that mentioned possibility of death three times.
I’m sorry that people died but this serves as a good reminder that those waivers mean something. Not something to go “yeah, yeah, sure, I might die” over.

No, you might actually die.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There has been criticism here about the rich victims paying £250K each for a ticket on the doomed sub, but if I was super-rich, really into the Titanic story and willing to take the risk of a deep-sea descent then I can see why they did it.

On the other hand, I feel a lot more antipathy towards those sheikhs who are paying an absolute fortune to a bunch of greedy players to kick a football around in a desert in a no-mark noddy league.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
How do you know they didn’t tell the only people that needed to be told ie family ? Everybody else is irrelevant.
Well of course that may be the case,who knows but we are well aware governments of all colours in many incidents keep much information out of the public domain.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Any recording equipment the military have in the area will be used to warn against hostile threats. The US Navy, understandably, wouldn't voluntarily want to divulge the location or capabilities of such equipment.

I read a report that said as soon as the Navy corroborated their recording with the subsequent later report by Oceangate then they informed the coastguard. The report didn't mention when on the timeline this was.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I'm not sure what people think would have been different if the Navy had identified and flagged the implosion earlier. They heard a sound. At the time they had no reason to suspect it was actually the Titan, which they did not know was missing and, to be fair, wasn't missing at that point. And they didn't even know the Titan was missing until hours later. With hindsight it was probably the Titan imploding. If they'd said straight away "hey! we hear a slightly unusual sound! (In a noise ocean)", it's not like you could immediately conclude that the Titan had been lost. It wouldn't change that you'd still have to search for it until you were certain, pretty much until you find debris. Nobody was going to take a random noise in the ocean and stop the search.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously this is an American case, but in the UK we have the Unfair Contract Terms Act which states:

"A person cannot by reference to any contract term ...... exclude or restrict his liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence."

You don't limit liability due to negligence, but in a dangerous mission like this it can end badly without their being negligence.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You don't limit liability due to negligence, but in a dangerous mission like this it can end badly without their being negligence.
Think I read somewhere that the waiver actually listed everything which could go wrong!

Guess we'll hear a lot more about that...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Channel 4 news giving up another hour for a 'search special'. Ffs. No other news has happened today, oh apart from a dinghy sinking en route to the Canary Islands killing at least 35 migrants.

35 migrants dying is sadder, but it's not as news worthy. A couple of hundred thousand people die every day. Thousands of those are avoidable deaths, so the 35 migrants and 5 tourists are not significant numbers. The difference is really that 5 tourists dying on route to the Titanic is different and more newsworthy. That's why this thread is as long as it is.

Try posting a new thread every time some migrants die, and you'll find not as many people reply. You can do the same with many of the other avoidable causes of death, and you'll get the same result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports