Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Seriously? I highly doubt that they knew the ‘engineer’ behind this had cut corners.
Despite all the very public videos?

The French guy had been down in Titan several times too, I think, so would have known how basic it was.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep. The whole thing reeks of hubris and carelessness. And entitlement.

But I could be wrong. Albeit after 294 other posts, repeating what they read earlier, and speculating without an ounce of insight, I'm not unique in possibly being wrong.
Well, a company like Boeing can use all the aviation safety standards and certificates and still cock up the software systems so that two passenger jets with nothing wrong with them crash killing everyone on board.

The Tacoma bridge appeared to be an engineering marvel until the wind got it to its resonant frequency. Human beings are adventurous and innovative but they are never without mistakes or fallibility.

An innovator designing and building a proto-type submarine - yep going to have a fair amount of risk.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Despite all the very public videos?

The French guy had been down in Titan several times too, I think, so would have known how basic it was.
That makes no sense. This French bloke who had completed this trip several times? Each time this coffin tube successfully came back it became more ‘safe’.

What I cannot get my head around is the Co-owner already using language like ‘we must learn from this’. I mean WTAF? Surely you’d be destroying the company, shelving the entire disaster out of respect, but no, this sociopathic wants to carry on.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Very sad indeed but also strange they finally found the wreckage just a few hours after the oxygen ran out.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That makes no sense. This French bloke who had completed this trip several times? Each time this coffin tube successfully came back it became more ‘safe’.

Actually, can't find confirmation that Nargeolet had been on Titan before.

But he was very, very experienced and would know what he was (literally) getting into.

During an interview in 2019, Nargeolet, then 73, was asked whether he got scared diving 12,500ft below the water's surface to reach the Titanic.

'If you are 11 metres or 11 kilometres down, if something bad happens, the results are the same,' the mariner told the Irish Examiner at the time.

'When you're in deep water, you're dead before you realise that something is happening, so it's not a problem.'

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yeah, gotta feel for the kid (and his mum/sister)...

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.
This is the saddest part of it, a 19 yo trying to please his stupid father.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is the saddest part of it, a 19 yo trying to please his stupid father.
From a matriarchal culture. As a billionnaire too, I’m sure blind obedience probably expected. A 19year old ‘kid’ knowing his fathers one of richest men in the world, well, he was never going to say no when his Dads vanity got the better of him and he made the fatal decision.

It’s a very sad story, all of them should never have been down there or anywhere near it. I just hope they didn’t suffer, which at least seems likely now. That will be a small comfort to widow and other surviving family. RIP and hopefully these enterprises won’t be arranging further trips for a very long time to come. Not until required safety and science has sufficiently caught up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually, can't find confirmation that Nargeolet had been on Titan before.

But he was very, very experienced and would know what he was (literally) getting into.

During an interview in 2019, Nargeolet, then 73, was asked whether he got scared diving 12,500ft below the water's surface to reach the Titanic.

'If you are 11 metres or 11 kilometres down, if something bad happens, the results are the same,' the mariner told the Irish Examiner at the time.

'When you're in deep water, you're dead before you realise that something is happening, so it's not a problem.'
I read his quote elsewhere. My immediate thought was what a load of rubbish. I’m not as saltier a sea dog as him, but if you’re 11m down and get into trouble that’s very much survivable compared to 11km down. The results are in no way the same therefore. He’s talking shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What about the guy who paid a deposit to be on this very trip, saw the Xbox controller, and thought..."mmmnah".

Fair play. Almost like sumfink out of Final Destination.

I've been reading up on recent historical rescue missions here. It's a very mixed success rate.

Will be the sequel to ship hits iceberg and sinks
The sequel to that was the huge flop 'Raise the Titanic'. I still have it in the attic on Betamax 😀

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They found the wreckage when they got a ROV to the Titanic site.

I think we can assume 'oxygen ran out' on Sunday...
I think we can probably assume that the oxygen ran out - or became irrelevant - immediately after the implosion killed them all. RIP.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

We’ll have to agree to disagree on whether there is a certain black humour in (especially the coverage of) this incident, particularly if contrasted with the reporting of other maritime deaths today.
Yes. Black humour has always existed. When the Titanic originally sunk the satirical magazine 'Punch' published a cartoon. It was a polar bear going to the offices of the White Star line (Titanic's owners), and the caption read "Any news of the iceberg?"

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Maybe we should all reflect on the amount of coverage given to this story versus 600 odd dead in Med last week. A shameful reflection of our media.

Will there be a mini-series to follow?
The media is merely a reflection of society and what society wants

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Top 5 stories on the BBC this morning. Meanwhile 30 migrants feared dead off the canaries is the tenth story. The world has gone mad.
The billionaires could not have wished for an easier death either. Absolutely no suffering at all. Unlike the hundreds of migrants in the Med because no one will reduce them.

“Dr Molé said: 'It would have been so sudden, that they wouldn't even have known that there was a problem, or what happened to them. 'It's like being here one minute, and then the switch is turned off. You're alive one millisecond, and the next millisecond you're dead.'” Mail

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here