Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Will that stand up if they’ve got signed waivers from consenting adults acknowledging that if they get in there’s a chance they’ll die?

It’s not like hopping on a ferry where these things are regulated and you can just get a ticket and assume all the safety stuff is taken care of.

As soon as they saw the PS3 controller they must have known this was going to be a gamble.
Obviously this is an American case, but in the UK we have the Unfair Contract Terms Act which states:

"A person cannot by reference to any contract term ...... exclude or restrict his liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence."

Maybe the Yanks have a comparable act. In which case the waivers aren't worth the soggy paper they are written on.

But there again, Oceangate would have checked that thoroughly using professionals. As with everything else they did.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It doesn't piece up together with what some people are saying about the implosion.

Apparently it would have been heard by the bouys but nothing was.

Also what explains the knocking sounds every 30 minutes?
Oooh, I love a good conspiracy theory.

Maybe the 9/11 hijackers, who didn’t die in the fake attacks, have taken the explorers to the grassy knoll to locate the real gunman who shot JFK.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It doesn't piece up together with what some people are saying about the implosion.

It was said at the time the knocking sounds might not be from the sub. Besides the fact that it looks like the sub imploded long before the buoys were deployed the banging noises didn’t come from the area the debris was found.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Maybe the 9/11 hijackers, who didn’t die in the fake attacks, have taken the explorers to the grassy knoll to locate the real gunman who shot JFK.
I'm just picking up on what people are saying on news feeds and asking

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It's canoe man all over again. It'll turn out they were never there, they're all hiding out in a secret room back at home! It's an insurance scam.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Didn't the ship lose contact with the sub about 90mins into their voyage but didn't report it to the coastguard for another 5 hours or so? So that can easily explain the implosion not being picked up.

Knocking sounds, something from the debris, maybe something attached by a cable or piping or something getting lifted by a current then falling again. 2 pieces of debris knocking against each other consistently. There are likely several logical explanations.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Didn't the ship lose contact with the sub about 90mins into their voyage but didn't report it to the coastguard for another 5 hours or so? So that can easily explain the implosion not being picked up.

Knocking sounds, something from the debris, maybe something attached by a cable or piping or something getting lifted by a current then falling again. 2 pieces of debris knocking against each other consistently. There are likely several logical explanations.
Dolphin wanking in a tight space

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Wonder who is going to pay for the billionaire play thing investigation?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
To joke about death because the the victims were exceedingly wealthy isn’t good unless they’ve were Putin, Xi Jinping or Kim Jong Un.

Their wealth (or otherwise) isn’t the issue, it’s the arrogance of assuming that the rules didn’t apply to them.

For the guy running the show:

1. That if something went wrong, the world’s emergency services had nothing better to do than mount search and rescue operations in ever increasing multiples of Connecticut.

2. That certification and testing was for squares, and that little things like remote diagnostics, working comms and emergency recovery procedures were unnecessary expenses that would impact the bottom line.

For the paying customers: (with the exception of Suleman Dawood)

It’s the arrogance that nothing bad can happen to them, belief in their own invulnerability and infallible decision making. This disaster did not need to happen, it’s entirely due to the hubris of the organisation and the individuals who chose to be crew that it did.

Physics doesn’t care about wealth, you’ve either built it right or you haven’t. I have empathy and sympathy for the relatives left behind and Suleman, the rest of them knew exactly what they were getting into and did it anyway. They chose, it’s the libertarian dream.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on whether there is a certain black humour in (especially the coverage of) this incident, particularly if contrasted with the reporting of other maritime deaths today.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, gotta feel for the kid (and his mum/sister)...

Azmeh Dawood — the older sister of Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood — told NBC News that her nephew, Suleman, informed a relative that he "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.

But the 19-year-old ended up going aboard OceanGate's 22-foot submersible because the trip fell over Father's Day weekend and he was eager to please his dad, who was passionate about the lore of the Titanic, according to Azmeh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only thing missing from this sad event was Elon Musk offering to help then calling them pedo’s!
And what about that short English bloke who reckons he can find anyone in water….except when they’re right under his nose in the reeds? Where was he?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Their wealth (or otherwise) isn’t the issue, it’s the arrogance of assuming that the rules didn’t apply to them.

1. That if something went wrong, the world’s emergency services had nothing better to do than mount search and rescue operations in ever increasing multiples of Connecticut.

2. That certification and testing was for squares, and that little things like remote diagnostics, working comms and emergency recovery procedures were unnecessary expenses that would impact the bottom line.

It’s the arrogance that nothing bad can happen to them, belief in their own invulnerability and infallible decision making. This disaster did not need to happen, it’s entirely due to the hubris of the organisation and the individuals who chose to be crew that it did.

Physics doesn’t care about wealth, you’ve either built it right or you haven’t. I have empathy and sympathy for the relatives left behind and Suleman, the rest of them knew exactly what they were getting into and did it anyway. They chose, it’s the libertarian dream.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on whether there is a certain black humour in (especially the coverage of) this incident, particularly if contrasted with the reporting of other maritime deaths today.
Seriously? I highly doubt that they knew the ‘engineer’ behind this had cut corners.
What I do not understand is WHY you would want to do this in the first place. This must come down to money, and unbelievably boredom, they have ‘done’ everything, so where is the next ‘no one else who isn’t stupid rich can afford this’ thing?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yep. The whole thing reeks of hubris and carelessness. And entitlement.

But I could be wrong. Albeit after 294 other posts, repeating what they read earlier, and speculating without an ounce of insight, I'm not unique in possibly being wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here