Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Will that stand up if they’ve got signed waivers from consenting adults acknowledging that if they get in there’s a chance they’ll die?

It’s not like hopping on a ferry where these things are regulated and you can just get a ticket and assume all the safety stuff is taken care of.

As soon as they saw the PS3 controller they must have known this was going to be a gamble.
I'm not a lawyer, but it might. You can't use a signed waiver as a get out of criminal negligence card.

I couldn't get you to sign a waiver, murder you, and then say "hey! they signed a waiver!"

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Has Netflix started on the movie yet?
Won't be long before a rocket explodes taking people into space. Rich people need stuff to spend their money on, I'm happy going down the pub.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Will that stand up if they’ve got signed waivers from consenting adults acknowledging that if they get in there’s a chance they’ll die?

It’s not like hopping on a ferry where these things are regulated and you can just get a ticket and assume all the safety stuff is taken care of.

As soon as they saw the PS3 controller they must have known this was going to be a gamble.
Well, I very much think those waivers are going to be tested. The company surely still has a duty of care towards its customers, regardless of waivers.

I would think anyone working for OceanGate in the ownership / maintenance side of things will be shifting uncomfortably right now (quite apart from the fact that the CEO is one of the poor souls who has perished).

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm not a lawyer, but it might. You can't use a signed waiver as a get out of criminal negligence card.

I couldn't get you to sign a waiver, murder you, and then say "hey! they signed a waiver!"
Fair enough, it was a genuine query rather than a statement; will be interesting to see how it plays out.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Serious lack of empathy on here.

I’m sorry you feel so, and I have a great deal of empathy for Suleman Dawood’s mother, who has lost both son and husband, but I’ve limited empathy and sympathy for those on board (excepting Suleman) - this was going to gawp at a previous maritime disaster in a vessel with no certification or external testing.

This disaster was entirely avoidable. The trip wasn’t necessary. It didn’t have any significant scientific merit. It was simply one guy with a “she’ll be right” attitude persuading the punters to sign their lives away.

Their reason for being there was basically “because we can.”

There are people getting killed by disease, natural disasters, school shooters, concert bombers, while trying to flee persecution, and even by cops who are supposed to be keeping them safe. People who weren’t deliberately baiting death, they were just doing their best to get through their day or reach safety.

Of course I wish this disaster hadn’t happened, but speaking for myself I’m becoming increasingly desensitised to the horror all around us. This incident is, quite literally, a drop in the ocean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I’m sorry you feel so, and I have a great deal of empathy for Suleman Dawood’s mother, who has lost both son and husband, but I’ve limited empathy and sympathy for those on board (excepting Suleman) - this was going to gawp at a previous maritime disaster in a vessel with no certification or external testing.

This disaster was entirely avoidable. The trip wasn’t necessary. It didn’t have any significant scientific merit. It was simply one guy with a “she’ll be right” attitude persuading the punters to sign their lives away.

Their reason for being there was basically “because we can.”

There are people getting killed by disease, natural disasters, school shooters, concert bombers, while trying to flee persecution, and even by cops who are supposed to be keeping them safe. People who weren’t deliberately baiting death, they were just doing their best to get through their day or reach safety.

Of course I wish this disaster hadn’t happened, but speaking for myself I’m becoming increasingly desensitised to the horror all around us. This incident is, quite literally, a drop in the ocean.
To joke about death because the the victims were exceedingly wealthy isn’t good unless they’ve were Putin, Xi Jinping or Kim Jong Un.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
It doesn't piece up together with what some people are saying about the implosion.

Apparently it would have been heard by the bouys but nothing was.

Also what explains the knocking sounds every 30 minutes?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It doesn't piece up together with what some people are saying about the implosion.

Apparently it would have been heard by the bouys but nothing was.

Also what explains the knocking sounds every 30 minutes?
In the interviews the commander said the bouys went down as part of the search and nothing had been heard by them suggesting the implosion was at the point that they lost contact with the sub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here