Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How mad is this?

The family of Hamish Harding, the billionaire missing aboard the Titan submersible, has condemned the “extremely bad taste” of a submarine-themed ball held at his former Cambridge college hours before oxygen on the craft was expected to run out.

Pembroke College students attended an “Into the Depths” ball, themed on under-sea exploration, and sang sea shanties and reportedly danced to Celine Dion’s My Heart Will Go On – the theme from the 1997 film Titanic – on Wednesday night.

The college said that by the time the OceanGate Titanic expedition had become an international rescue mission, it was too late to change its theme.

Kathleen Cosnett, 69, Mr Harding’s cousin, said it was “unbelievable” that the college had gone ahead with an event in such “extremely bad taste”.

“That’s terrible – polite courtesy has missed out on quite a few generations,” she told The Telegraph. “Ridiculous. They would have had a record of him studying there, I would have thought.

“They ought to think more than twice, and show consideration. Perhaps we are lucky they didn’t play Yellow Submarine. But perhaps they are not old enough for that.”

Full story (subscription required): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...-pembroke-college-host-submarine-themed-ball/

Free but it's the Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hours-sub-alumnus-Hamish-Harding-ran-air.html

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I have to say, this story has put me right off the idea of going amateur submarining

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A pedant writes: It's actually a Logitech PC controller, styled like a PlayStation controller - seemingly with 3D-printed plastic enhancements.

In the CBS video, the CEO jokes about it, throws it down and claims to carry two spares.

Which left me thinking: would he really pack two spares?!
I watched a YT doc the other day about a Virginia Class Submarine (USN) and they use modified X Box controllers for some of the systems onboard, I guess the 20-30 somethings are use to handling these style of controls

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh, not quite a search special then. I take it back (unless they still spend a disproportionate amount of time on the story)

You were correct and they called it “a special” until 10 minutes ago.

Then quietly ditched. We’re wondering if that’s because the debris’s been found and the US Coastguard have therefore cancelled their press conference later this hour.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
You were correct and they called it “a special” until 10 minutes ago.

Then quietly ditched. We’re wondering if that’s because the debris’s been found and the US Coastguard have therefore cancelled their press conference later this hour.
Press conference is still on?

Specifics of the find are not official yet.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The incoming lawsuits will be a whole new chapter on this tragedy. The vessel was not subject to the stringent safety checks other seagoing craft are, as it operates primarily in international waters, outside of the jurestiction of the US / Canadian authorities. They cut corners. OceanGate as a business are surely finished now anyway, even without the inevitable litigation.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The incoming lawsuits will be a whole new chapter on this tragedy. The vessel was not subject to the stringent safety checks other seagoing craft are, as it operates primarily in international waters, outside of the jurestiction of the US / Canadian authorities. They cut corners. OceanGate as a business are surely finished now anyway, even without the inevitable litigation.
Will that stand up if they’ve got signed waivers from consenting adults acknowledging that if they get in there’s a chance they’ll die?

It’s not like hopping on a ferry where these things are regulated and you can just get a ticket and assume all the safety stuff is taken care of.

As soon as they saw the PS3 controller they must have known this was going to be a gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here