[News] Missing submersible.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicks

Indeed, a definate job for Thunderbird 4 l'd say.
1000002756.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was reading that there are something like seven different failsafes in operation to both get the sub to the surface and to keep comms going.

Seven ways sounds impressive...

• Three "enormous," "beat-up" lead construction pipes called "triple weights"
  • Two "roll weights"
  • Several ballast bags
  • Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags
  • Thrusters to propel the sub upward
  • Detachable sub legs
  • An airbag to inflate

... but it can't get to the surface if it's snagged on something - a bit of the Titanic, fishing net etc.

This guys described getting snagged years ago. Terrifying.

I think we can assume any emergency comms devices.... aren't great.

This guy went three times. Lost comms every time, FFS!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Genuine question regarding any rescue attempt which is now probably a recovery situation and i appreciate that getting the required kit together would take a bit of time, however in a case such as this are some countries are reluctant to share information with other organisations and thus preventing a quicker hit the ground running scenario?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Genuine question regarding any rescue attempt which is now probably a recovery situation and i appreciate that getting the required kit together would take a bit of time, however in a case such as this are some countries are reluctant to share information with other organisations and thus preventing a quicker hit the ground running scenario?
Not in that area, Canada, USA, Britain.
I am sure there is a code as there is in the air world wide, you help, there have been instances when planes have been in trouble and landed at short notice in so called unfriendly countries.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Not in that area, Canada, USA, Britain.
I am sure there is a code as there is in the air world wide, you help, there have been instances when planes have been in trouble and landed at short notice in so called unfriendly countries.

Not true. The British Company Magellan wanted to get involved in the search and were ready to deploy on Monday but due to red tape were only able to deploy today.

The US Coastguard has rejected an offer of help from a UK firm which experts say may provide the "best hope" of finding the missing Titanic submarine, as the window of opportunity to rescue the five onboard rapidly closes.

British company Magellan Limited has had a deep-sea submersible craft “ready to support” the rescue mission since early on Monday, with the ability to reach depths of 6,000 metres and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.

But the US First Coast Guard District told The Independent it has not requested assistance from the firm as the vessel, currently sat on a plane awaiting US clearance to be deployed, is too far away.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...bmarine-missing-magellan-search-b2361519.html

And more from the BBC

The BBC understands the Magellan ROV has been ready to leave since earlier in the week but has been held up by permissions.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Huge apologies but I've been catching the story in bits. I heard this morning one 'expert' saying they thought the sub might be caught up in the wreckage of the Titanic.

I assume, by the fact they 'search' is widening that means they have already visited the site of the wreckage and can't locate it?

Am I being thick?
I heard another expert talk about how difficult it is to find anything down there, they pointed to the fact that it took so long to find the Titanic in the first place and it's huge. Even when you know where an object is located at those depths apparently it's really challenging to get down to that location due to weather, currents, communication problems and lack of visibility. The submarine is tiny and Its also possible that not all of it is visible, its pitch black and even if it is near to where the Titanic is the amount of wreckage on the ocean floor also means it could take time to discern what are debris and what is the Titan.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not true. The British Company Magellan wanted to get involved in the search and were ready to deploy on Monday but due to red tape were only able to deploy today.

The US Coastguard has rejected an offer of help from a UK firm which experts say may provide the "best hope" of finding the missing Titanic submarine, as the window of opportunity to rescue the five onboard rapidly closes.

British company Magellan Limited has had a deep-sea submersible craft “ready to support” the rescue mission since early on Monday, with the ability to reach depths of 6,000 metres and prior experience of visiting the Titanic wreckage site.

But the US First Coast Guard District told The Independent it has not requested assistance from the firm as the vessel, currently sat on a plane awaiting US clearance to be deployed, is too far away.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...bmarine-missing-magellan-search-b2361519.html

And more from the BBC

The BBC understands the Magellan ROV has been ready to leave since earlier in the week but has been held up by permissions.

wow, that is just crazy, Americans and their stupid pride then

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have always thought that being buried alive was the worst death possible (other than being a torture victim) but the idea of being in that submersible trumps it. Horrible way to die regardless of how much money you have.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How desperate is that?

Going to be very Partridge.

'So we have Dr Phillips with us. What WILL it be like to be in pitch darkness, freezing cold in a cramped environment knowing you're slowly running out of oxygen? How will they be coping and passing the time?'
Dr. Phillips: "Oh yeah, people go on about Titanic, Titanic... Let me tell you something about the Titanic, people forget, people forget that on the Titanic's maiden voyage there were over 1000 miles of uneventful, very pleasurable cruising before it hit the iceberg!"

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Seven ways sounds impressive...

• Three "enormous," "beat-up" lead construction pipes called "triple weights"
  • Two "roll weights"
  • Several ballast bags
  • Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags
  • Thrusters to propel the sub upward
  • Detachable sub legs
  • An airbag to inflate

... but it can't get to the surface if it's snagged on something - a bit of the Titanic, fishing net etc.

This guys described getting snagged years ago. Terrifying.

I think we can assume any emergency comms devices.... aren't great.

This guy went three times. Lost comms every time, FFS!

Since this story broke, I've been particularly gobsmacked by the fact the submarine is 100% controlled, steered and operated using a modified Playstation controller. And that's it. Think I might build a moon rocket using an old handheld Nintendo Donkey Kong player.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have always thought that being buried alive was the worst death possible (other than being a torture victim) but the idea of being in that submersible trumps it. Horrible way to die regardless of how much money you have.
Yes, it’s the wait for it, knowing that it’s going to happen. You just hope they fall asleep and become unconscious due to lack of oxygen. It’s so sad.
Quite shy anyone would agree to be bolted into a tin can and dropped to the deepest part of the ocean I have no idea.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Since this story broke, I've been particularly gobsmacked by the fact the submarine is 100% controlled, steered and operated using a modified Playstation controller. And that's it. Think I might build a moon rocket using an old handheld Nintendo Donkey Kong player.
This, if I know joysticks....
I presume it adds to the experience and quirkiness...

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Mobile phone vs Apollo 11 Computer
The latest phones typically have 4GB of RAM. That is 34,359,738,368 bits. This is more than one million (1,048,576 to be exact) times more memory than the Apollo computer had in RAM. The iPhone also has up to 512GB of ROM memory. That is 4,398,046,511,104 bits, which is more seven million times more than that of the guidance computer.
But memory isn't the only thing that matters. The Apollo 11 computer had a processor–an electronic circuit that performs operations on external data sources–which ran at 0.043 MHz. The latest iPhone's processor is estimated to run at about 2490 MHz. Apple do not advertise the processing speed, but others have calculated it. This means that the iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the moon over 50 years ago.

(Found online article dated 2019)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The wreckage of the Titanic is now no more than a giant mass grave. Why people can't stay well away as a mark of respect, and are driven to go and gawp at it l've no idea.
Exactly my thinking. If someone was offering tickets for £500k to come and have a selfie experience on the Somme battlefield, with a shovel so you can keep anything you dig up, we'd all be rightly horrified. This doesn't strike me as being a whole lot better than that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
….with a couple of spares stashed away on board

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The problem isn't the controller. The problem is that it's a wireless controller.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports