DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I watched this still thinking some of them would go in

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Ok but aren't the 3 missed pens, 3 big opportunities missed?
Did you exclude them too?

See post immediately before yours. It doesn't actually change much in the grand scheme of things. We've scored 5 out of 8 Pens. If we exclude all Pens (both scored and not scored) our ratio of goals vs big chances missed gets worse than it is with pens included.

We also one of only 5 teams to have more Big Chances Missed than actual Goals Scored (including Pens).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
See post immediately before yours. It doesn't actually change much in the grand scheme of things. We've scored 5 out of 8 Pens. If we exclude all Pens (both scored and not scored) our ratio of goals vs big chances missed gets worse than it is with pens included.

We also one of only 5 teams to have more Big Chances Missed than actual Goals Scored (including Pens).

All of which, IMO, just goes to show that xG can be valuable for fans. It rather neatly takes what I have in a spreadsheet currently and boils it into a single number that's comparable across teams and players. What I have in my spreadsheet:

Shots - we're 7th for shots created
On Target - we're 20th as a % of total shots (!!!)
Big Chances Missed - 9th for number, 11th as ratio of total shots (suggests our shot quality overall is mid table)
Goals scored - we're 14th total, 17th as % of shots taken, 15th as % of on target shots (so even when we're on target, our shots are more likely to be saved)
Penalties scored
Headers scored
Free Kicks
Goals scored form in box vs out of box
Goals scored on the counter (official Prem stats have us down as 0...)

I should probably add Pens Missed and Woodwork as well. Not sure I can be bothered though...

Anyway, the clear theme running through these stats is that offensively we've been really, really poor at finishing but good enough at creating. Whether you measure it with xG or a range of other stats or your bare eyeballs and memory. The fact that we're the worst team in the Prem when it comes to getting shots on target is abysmal.

It's not by a small margin that we're 20th on that stat. Just 28.7% of our total shots have been on target. The next worst is Fulham at 31.7%. Mid table for this stat would be 36%.

Comparing us and Palace (given how they absolutely robbed the bank of 3 points against us recently):

Us vs Palace:

Shots: 356 vs 244
On Target: 102 vs 85
Big Chances Missed: 33 vs 18
Goals: 28 vs 30
Pens: 5 vs 2

The story here is that they've been far, far more clinical in front of goal. We don't have to improve our numbers much and we'd be easily staying away from the relegation battle.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I watched this still thinking some of them would go in

I had to replay Connolly's miss against Sheffield Utd several times to try and work out not just how he missed, but how he missed by such a long way, and each time I still expected him to score. At least Jahanbasch got the ball in the vicinity!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I had to replay Connolly's miss against Sheffield Utd several times to try and work out not just how he missed, but how he missed by such a long way, and each time I still expected him to score. At least Jahanbasch got the ball in the vicinity!

Burny at 3’32. Lol.

Rather than “watch again” at the end it should say “to be continued”

I’m going to raise the depression on this thread by asking if we can please have this Neal Maupay back on Sunday :smile:

Blimey, the backflip against Wigan and the volley vs Rotherham great standout goals. Still waiting for him to score a spectacular goal for us. Heck id take one in off his backside at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here