Minutes silence on Friday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
David Cameron has been very quite over the outrage , seems to be more concerned with not offending muslims than hitting back against ISIS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Public outrage at this atrocity appears to be extremely thin on the ground for whatever reason. Very strange.

distance. its an away loss, easier for people to put to one side.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As much as I am unsure about government impositions of observations and protocols on the population, I am more than wanting to pay respects to these poor souls. RIP.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Public outrage at this atrocity appears to be extremely thin on the ground for whatever reason. Very strange.

I think it's more a case of how we measure public outrage. Apart from a few resident nutters in the UK, everyone would be upset about it. I guess the realisation would be that there is little we can do about it, being that it happened in another country.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think it's more a case of how we measure public outrage. Apart from a few resident nutters in the UK, everyone would be upset about it. I guess the realisation would be that there is little we can do about it, being that it happened in another country.

Precisely. Wailing chest beating public displays of 'national' mourning belong to tin pot dictatorships. And, er, happens quite a bit in Arab countries must admit. Still, doesn't mean we Brits aren't horrified and outraged and talking about this. I think there's more a stoic recognition this will continue for all of our lives and no easy solution. Unless you're an armchair general when it's easy to volunteer other people's lives as the Daily Mail did when they said to send in the SAS to defeat ISIS. Yeah, cause that'll work...if it was in a film.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Precisely. Wailing chest beating public displays of 'national' mourning belong to tin pot dictatorships. And, er, happens quite a bit in Arab countries must admit. Still, doesn't mean we Brits aren't horrified and outraged and talking about this. I think there's more a stoic recognition this will continue for all of our lives and no easy solution. Unless you're an armchair general when it's easy to volunteer other people's lives as the Daily Mail did when they said to send in the SAS to defeat ISIS. Yeah, cause that'll work...if it was in a film.

I agree with all that. And I'd add that once folk stop regrading the media as 'public opinion' (for that is how 'outrage' is measured) we can get a clearer perspective. Unfortunately we still have government by headlines. I don't buy newspapers, well, The Observer sometimes, but I feel that is the best newspaper I have ever read for holistic international news.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you personally know any of the tragic unfortunate I'm sure you'd have thoughts outside of a scheduled time of silence. Outside of that I guess it depends on how emotional you're feeling. It's a horrible event but I doubt I'll be think about it away from watching the news, and I don't read it every day. If I was into the moment Id be thinking of everyone on the beach, not just because they were born within the UK.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
I can do my own thinking and mourning over these poor unfortunates.
I don't need a government led by a chinless wonder with no backbone who is terrified of offending mindless murderers to tell me what to do.
It will all become much closer to home soon anyway,and then the mourning will really start.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
A minute spent contemplating the way in which relentless, five-times-a-day religious brainwashing in 'faith' schools and madrassas can slowly transform innocent children into pitiless, murderous savages could be time very well spent.

How this government can continue to support and encourage such an absurdly divisive system instead of educating all our children together is beyond belief.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
On a separate matter I see a family from Luton has gone awol in Syria.Willing to bet it's the fault of the police or security services?

No doubt.....These silly, misguided women going out there don't realise that they will end up as whores, playthings of the fanatics who can't wait for 77 virgins to come along.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
David Cameron has been very quite over the outrage , seems to be more concerned with not offending muslims than hitting back against ISIS

Why do we all have to keep walking on eggshells re the Muslim community? Its not our fault that they have committed themselves to the inconsistent ramblings and untruths of a sex-crazed egotist.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Russell Brand describes the minute's silence as 'bullshit', 'hollow, futile gesture' and that the attacks are our fault...of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRm81u2jNk

My goodness, his videos are a masterclass in narcissism and proof that a little knowledge is dangerous.

All this from a man who only recently described ISIS as an organisation 'borne from love' in his bestselling book. He's rapidly getting to the point where he irritates me as much as Martin McGuinness. That's some accomplishment, let me tell you.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The point I was making is that if you feel like the way you describe, you should already have spent some time thinking about what happened and to whom. You don't have to do it in some orchestrated fashion. My view is that grief and reflection should be on a personal scale, not a public display. That said, if people want to then I'm not stopping them.

Absolutely. Ever since Princess Diana died, there has been a tendency towards,what I call, 'public displays of grief'.No longer is it enough to feel sadness or grief, but you must be seen to display those feelings in a public manner.
Very strange.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Russell Brand describes the minute's silence as 'bullshit', 'hollow, futile gesture' and that the attacks are our fault...of course.

My goodness, his videos are a masterclass in narcissism and proof that a little knowledge is dangerous.

All this from a man who only recently described ISIS as an organisation 'borne from love' in his bestselling book. He's rapidly getting to the point where he irritates me as much as Martin McGuinness. That's some accomplishment, let me tell you.

That's enough for me - if Russell ****ing Brand thinks its BS then I'm in for it ! The man is a complete tool

These lines from Paul Simon's "The Boxer" sum up Brand to a T :

"All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest."

What I find more distasteful is a TV interviewer sticking a microphone under the noses of those people who've just witnessed/lived through a tragic event and asking them "Considering the fact that you could have been shot by a marauding loony how do you feel?"

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Absolutely. Ever since Princess Diana died, there has been a tendency towards,what I call, 'public displays of grief'.No longer is it enough to feel sadness or grief, but you must be seen to display those feelings in a public manner.
Very American .

There you go amended for you....

And Russell Brand annoys the life out of me now, Just another celebrity sat in his ivory tower criticizing anything to do with the so called establishment & expecting everyone to think he has some inside knowledge that everyone else can't see..... :sick:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-confronted-by-friend-of-Tunisia-victims.html

Russel Brand = knob

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-confronted-by-friend-of-Tunisia-victims.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports