Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Watching Pointless Celebrities reminded me that when I worked in a bank outside Worthing 15 years ago, Dave Benson Phillips was a customer.

The first time he came in, it was just me and a young girl serving. Dave is an “after my time” kids TV personality so I didn’t have a clue who he was. But he was a ball of laughs as you’d imagine and when he’d gone I said to the girl, wow, what a great guy. I then saw that she seemed to be in a kind of shock. Turned out he was her idol when growing up.

He’s one of those celebrities that’s exactly like he is on TV.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Isn’t there a poster on here who has had horizontal jogging sessions with Jordan and the girl out of Transvision Vamp.

That has to be the ultimate of mingle with the rich and famous.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
In my youth I used to be part of a road crew setting up PA for gigs and had a beer with Bob Geldof (very sweary) and Johnny Fingers (nice bloke) on the afternoon before their gig at the Top Rank Suite.

Also had a beer with Lemmy before their gig at Crawley Leisure Centre. He had four pints to my one, peppered his speech with F words and smoked incessantly. Total nutjob.

Kevin Bacon asked me for a light as I was having a cigarette outside the Hilton Hotel in New York and had a chat for a minute or two.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I got off a train one Friday in 1999 at Battle station and walked along the platform and over the footbridge chatting to Desmond Llewelyn aka 'Q' from the James Bond films, having found myself right by him upon getting off. I asked him if he'd seen the upcoming 'The World Is Not Enough' to which he said he hadn't and that he only had a very small role in it. I said to him that a Bond film without him in it what not be the same and he thanked me. Lovely guy. He sadly died about a month-or-so later. :(

If you ever Bump into me, do me a massive favour............Don't talk to me!!! :lolol::lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Watching Pointless Celebrities reminded me that when I worked in a bank outside Worthing 15 years ago, Dave Benson Phillips was a customer.

The first time he came in, it was just me and a young girl serving. Dave is an “after my time” kids TV personality so I didn’t have a clue who he was. But he was a ball of laughs as you’d imagine and when he’d gone I said to the girl, wow, what a great guy. I then saw that she seemed to be in a kind of shock. Turned out he was her idol when growing up.

He’s one of those celebrities that’s exactly like he is on TV.

Dave BensonPhillips used to be a regular in my cafe , a few years ago.
Nice fella.

Another customer was the Reverend Ian Paisley . He used to holiday somewhere local and would call in occasionally for afternoon tea.
Always had a couple of wardrobe sized minders with him, but, I was surprised that he was quite small. When I’ve seen him on the telly he had always looked like a unit.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My aunties husbands sister was Bella Emberg (Sybil Dyke) so I obviously met her and as a kid I loved Russ Abbott, so she arranged a meeting once.

When I lived in Wigan as a teenager there was only one alternative pub, and a young Richard Ashcroft once came back to a party at my parents house. He was a being a bit of pain, crashed out and I got the clippers out and took a chunk of his hair out.

Berlin club and The Venue in Manchester late 80s early 90s we often went to the same indie clubs meeting the likes of Ian Brown, Bez, Gallaghers all at onetime dabbled in psychobilly and the scooter boy scene, many nights drinking beers & wrecking together.

Had dinner/lunch with Johnny Cash and on another occasion Glen Campbell, two separate private parties.

The wife’s best friend is a long term partner and now wife of Phil Anselmo lead singer of Pantera and Down. Numerous back stage passes and spent Christmas Day with his family at their house outside New Orleans, same trip over we went to meet and stayed New Year’s Eve at Hank 3 (Hank Williams grandson)house for a party.

Went for a beer in the Spread Eagle with my mate when we lived in Camden, we were meeting a friend who used to manage the meteors and Nigel Lewis was there, who was in the original band we had met him before several times, but in walked Morrissey to meet Nigel and we had a pleasant afternoon chatting, he’s very shy, and prefers to listen and chuckle to himself occasionally.

I’m sure there’s a few more.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Dave BensonPhillips used to be a regular in my cafe , a few years ago.
Nice fella.

Another customer was the Reverend Ian Paisley . He used to holiday somewhere local and would call in occasionally for afternoon tea.
Always had a couple of wardrobe sized minders with him, but, I was surprised that he was quite small. When I’ve seen him on the telly he had always looked like a unit.
I think Ian Paisley holidayed in Arundel. I worked in a secondhand bookshop in Worthing back in the early 2000s and he would come in with the aforementioned massive minders.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Paul McCartney apologised for his granddaughter pushing in the queue for sweets at the cinema in ashford, then found them sitting directly behind us in the film when the granddaughter kicked the back of my sons chair throughout the film, I didn’t like to complain :(

Mel Gibson at a diner on a trip to Death Valley California

Arnold Schwarzeneger sitting on the next table to us in a hotel in Chennai

Graham Swann, nasser Hussain, Ravi Shastri, VVS Laxman in the same hotel (not with Arnie)

Sat next to John Goodman, Thom Yorke, Ronnie Corbett on different flights and seen Rod Stewart, Lemmy, Nick Cave, Sebastian Coe, Cliff Richard on other flights.

Had a chat with Bobby Zamora when he sat opposite me on the train from london to Sevenoaks, nice guy.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Dave Benson Phillips used to be a regular in my cafe. Another customer was the Reverend Ian Paisley. He used to holiday somewhere local and would call in occasionally for afternoon tea.

Presumably he would place his order direct from his holiday cottage a few miles away by simply shouting it out, and then walk in 15 minutes later to collect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Paul McCartney apologised for his granddaughter pushing in the queue for sweets at the cinema in ashford, then found them sitting directly behind us in the film when the granddaughter kicked the back of my sons chair throughout the film, I didn’t like to complain :(

Mel Gibson at a diner on a trip to Death Valley California

Arnold Schwarzeneger sitting on the next table to us in a hotel in Chennai

Graham Swann, nasser Hussain, Ravi Shastri, VVS Laxman in the same hotel (not with Arnie)

Sat next to John Goodman, Thom Yorke, Ronnie Corbett on different flights and seen Rod Stewart, Lemmy, Nick Cave, Sebastian Coe, Cliff Richard on other flights.

Had a chat with Bobby Zamora when he sat opposite me on the train from london to Sevenoaks, nice guy.

Have you ever met yourself?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was in corporate hospitality at Ascot in July 1993, got smashed managed to blag into the winners enclosure was seen patting the wining horse, Opera House, live on Grandstand, then the Queen walked past us and I thought, this might never happen again, so I stepped forward and shook her hand.

Julian Wilson took the time and trouble to slag us off during the following weeks coverage of Glorious Goodwood, and they played the video at the same time, and my mate taped it.

Shame I haven’t got a VHS recorder ��

And I also met Dave Bartram of Showaddywaddy in the lounge at Peterborough vs Brighton.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Spent an after drinking with Laurence Dalliglio and Jason Leonard in the Orange Tree in Richmond back in the day, those two can tell a story.....and quite successfully managed to drink me under the table !

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Back in 1996 I spent the evening standing next to Cameron Diaz and Ewan McGregor at the Brighton Centre watching the Radiohead gig. Managed to chat to her for several mins before the band came on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jimmy Saville once “fixed it” for me too milk a cow blindfolded too. :moo:

I think you’d better stop there :ohmy:

Having said that you must have been a weird kid to write in asking for him to fix that!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here