Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I used to drive for a coach company in Hastings.
One of the jobs was collecting children from a school in Kent, on a Friday night and then drive them to London to be met by their parents.
Invariably I used to volunteer for this job, as it didn't really bother me, as it was a Friday.
One of the kids was Jools Holland's son, who was a chip off the old block, was met by his dad and a couple of heavies.
I did chat briefly to JH, whilst waiting for the coach to empty.
As a fan, it made my day :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Stan Harvey’s on screen uncle from Crossroads told me as a young 16 year old to f..uck off and do one. He was appearing in Worthing theatre somewhere so I never thought bad of him. He was very drunk.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I’ve kissed Kate Winslet.

Unfortunately it was only on the cheek as I was 10 years old and didn’t have the foresight or knowhow to take it any further. One of my biggest regrets in life.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Okay, time to do my Billy Big Bollocks bit!

My Dad had a pub in Denham, Bucks when I was a kid. Being close to Denham studios and Pinewood we used to get a fair few luvvies in. First up was Norman Wisdom. The pub was actually used as a French cafe in the film “The Square Peg” in between shoots Norman sat in our lounge with a cup of tea watching the horse racing on our TV.

Other stars included Rupert Davies (Maigret), Conrad Phillips (William Tell), Richard Greene (Robin Hood), Peter Butterworth (Carry On films), Harry Worth and a few more.

When I was all grown up and working I met Peter Grant (Led Zeppelin’s manager) at the wine shop where I worked. I loaded his Rolls with all the booze and he gave me a £2 tip. Seriously, you would not want to cross him - he was absolutely enormous and had a menacing demeanour to go with it. I casually said that I’d just bought the Led Zep IV album and thought it was brilliant.
“Well done son!” he said and gave me friendly punch on the arm. Two hours later I was in casualty - just joking! :D

Green Man or Swan Inn by any chance ???
We always go for a drink in the Green Man when open.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Good thread this...

Infamous: Robert Maxwell
Nigel Mansell (dinner in a restaurant in Portland)
Daley Thompson
Kirsty Gallagher (a mid 20s version - very fit)
Helen Chamberlain
Olsen twins
A few Penthouse Pets at a Stringfellow function
James Murdoch

But my most precious and enjoyable: Barry Sheene (fabulous bloke)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Met Kate Hudson about 3 years ago at a party at the natural history museum in central London . Very down to Earth if a bit tipsy .

Also met over the last 10 years

One of the Rolling Stones ! Not sure which one ...I’m not a fan
Pierce Brosnian
Kate moss
cesc fabregas
Boy George ( in Beverly Hills ! )

And a few others I’ve forgotten...

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite a lot of musicians. Nearly all nice people. Artists generally are, its not a competitive ****ish thing.

Loads of drivers, some of them have awful attitude problem/over inflated opinions, Derek Bell and Jackie Oliver are jugglers of the highest order. Matt Neal was a good guy and Darren Turner is a top bloke. JYS was nice, ( I was driving one of his old cars) Gerry MArshall was an absolute hoot. As was Stirling MOss. Tom K, dull, possibly caught him at a bad time.

Went on the piss with Denis Lillee in Chennai. I thought I was thirsty!

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Mingling would be stretching a point but I once sat behind Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall at a play many years ago and also saw John Cleese and his then wife (the one who took him for all his money) at another play.

P.S. I also went out for a couple of years with a girl who appeared in Australian Playboy. She wasn’t famous but I didn’t care.........!

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Peter Stringfellow when he spoke at the Cambridge Union.

I was very, very, drunk and he was wearing a bright yellow jacket so I shook his hands and told him he looked like he worked at a holiday camp. He was not amused.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But my most precious and enjoyable: Barry Sheene (fabulous bloke)

My dad used to service his helicopter (and no, thats not a euphemism). I was only a kid and never met him, but I did get a signed Barry Sheene poster, which took pride of place on my attic playroom wall.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Frank Worthington gave me a packet of crisps when I was a kid at a Worthing game.

And yes I eat it rather than keeping it as a memory.

el punal

Green Man or Swan Inn by any chance ???
We always go for a drink in the Green Man when open.

Swan Inn, early 1960s. My Dad had retired from the RAF and got the tenancy to the pub which at the time was owned by Harman’s Brewery, Uxbridge. Long story short - Harman’s were taken over by Courage and they decided to put managers into all the acquired Harman’s pubs. They upped his rent by 400% to force him out and that was that.

On a side note, Denham village has been used many times in films and tv to portray the quintessential Ye Olde English village. In one episode of Hart to Hart (the American husband and wife detective series) the Green Man was filmed with the locals playing darts - it wasn’t you getting double top, was it? :D:bowdown::drink:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Swan Inn, early 1960s. My Dad had retired from the RAF and got the tenancy to the pub which at the time was owned by Harman’s Brewery, Uxbridge. Long story short - Harman’s were taken over by Courage and they decided to put managers into all the acquired Harman’s pubs. They upped his rent by 400% to force him out and that was that.

On a side note, Denham village has been used many times in films and tv to portray the quintessential Ye Olde English village. In one episode of Hart to Hart (the American husband and wife detective series) the Green Man was filmed with the locals playing darts - it wasn’t you getting double top, was it? :D:bowdown::drink:

Cheers for the info :)
John Mills, Cilla Black and Shane Ritchie are former residents.
Don't play darts :wink:
Seriously though, its a nice drinking hole in the summer, apart from all the tourist types.
There's not many decent pubs around TBH, you have togo ut further afield for a decent ale, like the White Horse in Hedgerley.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Did she ever come in and get legless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though my friend works for his sister, basically looks after her mansion in Robertsbridge he can't stand her and when she takes her leg off it's mutual

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here