Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Mingling with the Rich and Famous

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
Me and my Son sat next to Daniel Ryan(The Bay) at a home Palace match a few years back.

He was really giving it some to the Palace fans. We were in the East stand right next to them. It was rather fun. I think it was the cup game we won 2-1 .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Oh, and a really good moment in my life was going to Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues club in Soho with a number of members of Seagulls Over London around 20 plus years ago and were all sat a table, friend goes to the bar and a guy comes in with a girl and takes the vacated seat...it’s Joe Strummer. We obviously can’t tell him the seat is taken so we spend the next hour or so with him. Absolutely lovely guy, offered to buy drinks, spoke to us for ages ...to the point where we were a little concerned we were intruding on his night....every time we eased off the conversation he would restart it.

[MENTION=24354]Cesar Chavez[/MENTION] was there I think.

You were enjoying his company but thinking, should I stay or should I go now?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Occasionally Mark McGhee sits directly next to me at the Amex, saw Nzuzi Toko outside the regency fish restaurant once and Prince Andrew once came and observed my lecture at university in Huddersfield.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Occasionally Mark McGhee sits directly next to me at the Amex, saw Nzuzi Toko outside the regency fish restaurant once and Prince Andrew once came and observed my lecture at university in Huddersfield.

Oh and I told The Murder Capital that I loved them a year ago tomorrow before Sheffield United away while wearing a bald cap screaming about Aaron Mooy, but that’s as far as my celebrity encounters go.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Meet quite a few over the years through playing in bands - but two that I have very fond memories of are :

Tim Curry at a wedding evening do - a really nice guy - who chatted with us fur some time after we had finished playing. Was really interested in the band.

Dave Allen - was a private function in a very nice house somewhere in London - chatted with him for some time in the kitchen over a glass of wine - was really funny and with no ego - something I will never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
Had the pleasure of meeting Tiger Woods & Rory McIlroy couple of years ago. Woods was a true gent. Nice fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Rupert Webb passed away a couple of years ago, lovely man. Was a neighbour of mine. His wife once went out with Elvis.

I last saw him on the train back from the C&G Trophy win in 2006. As you say he was a lovely guy, as was his wife the couple of times I met her. Didn't find out about the Elvis story until recently. Didn't he propose to her?

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I was in the same train carriage as Patrick Moore.

There was a kid , about 8 years old running up down the aisle , shouting, and generally being obnoxious. His Mummy was doing nothing to stop him, “oh, Quentin, please sit down, “ that type of thing.

As the kid ran past Patrick Moore, he surreptitiously put his foot out and tripped the kid up. Quentin landed with a bang, Mummy picked him up and sat him on the seat, and Patrick Moore, realising that I had seen him trip Quentin, gave me a sly little smile.
There wasn’t another peep out of Quentin for the rest of the journey.

You reminded me that I also used to see Patrick on the train fairly often when I was riding the train between Shoreham and Worthing as a kid. He never tripped me up though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dave BensonPhillips used to be a regular in my cafe , a few years ago.
Nice fella.

Another customer was the Reverend Ian Paisley . He used to holiday somewhere local and would call in occasionally for afternoon tea.
Always had a couple of wardrobe sized minders with him, but, I was surprised that he was quite small. When I’ve seen him on the telly he had always looked like a unit.

I had a piss standing in the next urinal to Ian Paisley (sr) in a HoC bog, and he was certainly a unit. A quick google says he was apparently 6’5”. I’d guess he was 18 stone.

Have I been whooshed?

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
A well known party girl was Peaches allegedly. I once met Suzi Quatro at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hamburg in 1973. I was going down to reception in the lift when it stopped enroute, and the rock superstar plus her minder stepped in to join me. Clad in a long fur coat she looked absolutely tiny!

As an immature star struck17 year old l was completely tongue tied, all l could blurt out was, hey you are Suzi Quatro aren't you! Yeah she replied, and thinking of nothing else to say we decended in silence to the ground floor. What a missed opportunity, all the things l could have asked her!

Not to Devil Gate Drive? Disappointing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a piss standing in the next urinal to Ian Paisley (sr) in a HoC bog, and he was certainly a unit. A quick google says he was apparently 6’5”. I’d guess he was 18 stone.

Have I been whooshed?

As for Ian Paisley Jnr there’s a definite family resemblance, he’s got his father’s NOs!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh and James Bolam (Terry Collier on the Likely Lads) quite frequently on the train down to Billingshurst.

Nodded at him and was always tempted to say Thelma Pet but never had the nerve, I'm sure he has heard it the whole of his career... :lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Have I been whooshed?

No, you really haven’t been whooshed.

I always thought the same as you, and have seen old photos of him and others, where he towers over them, a really imposing figure.
But, I’ve googled him cos I always thought he was a big bloke and the evidence of my own eyes didn’t add up. In his younger days , he is a big lad,but, there are later photos where he is stood next to Blair, (6ft) and he looks 4 inches shorter .

It’s weird.

As I say, when I saw him , on 3 or 4 occasions, he wasn’t that much taller than me(5ft 6.), about 5,8.

Maybe The Pope put a shrinking curse on him.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Last February I was on holiday in the Maldives and my next door neighbor was Howard Donald from Take That. I'm by no means a member of Mensa, but I'm certain he had nothing between his ears!

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
In Thailand chatted to Steve Coppull abt his time at bha and the struggles at the time. Nice bloke. Had fallen out of love with managing at the time because of his dislike of agents.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last February I was on holiday in the Maldives and my next door neighbor was Howard Donald from Take That. I'm by no means a member of Mensa, but I'm certain he had nothing between his ears!

I've raced with him, or should I say, in the same race . . . he's been taken to the Cleaners by the Jordan race team for a Lotus Cortina which cost the same as a house. This backs up the IQ estimation well. He did managed to drive it the right way round the circuit.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I last saw him on the train back from the C&G Trophy win in 2006. As you say he was a lovely guy, as was his wife the couple of times I met her. Didn't find out about the Elvis story until recently. Didn't he propose to her?

Yes it’s true - she is a real star herself naturally, being proposed to by Elvis is just one of many anecdotes she has.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I delivered a Porsche to Top Gear studios.
Given all access all day so I was having tea and cake with Clarkson, Hammond, May, Denise Van Outen and Johnny whatsisface.
The Stig took me for 10 laps around the track in the Porsche but punctured a tyre so I had to creep home on the space saver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here