Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miners Strike

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Judging from some of what I read on here I expect I will get buckets of abuse from the pro-tory mob for posting this. I am in the middle of reading David Peace's book GB84 which is all about the miners strike and have been looking at footage on Youtube. I came across this haunting piece, beautiful music and sobering images. I truly hate Thatcher for what she did to these people and how she completely destroyed the relationship between communities and the police in the pit areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVwewzTi-8&feature=fvwrel

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unfortunately for all of the Thatcher-haters she is not responsible for the geology of the country that meant we had already extracted as much coal from the ground as was economic to mine.

Will it be Alex Salmons fault if he is in charge of Scotland when the oil runs out?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Judging from some of what I read on here I expect I will get buckets of abuse from the pro-tory mob for posting this. I am in the middle of reading David Peace's book GB84 which is all about the miners strike and have been looking at footage on Youtube. I came across this haunting piece, beautiful music and sobering images. I truly hate Thatcher for what she did to these people and how she completely destroyed the relationship between communities and the police in the pit areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVwewzTi-8&feature=fvwrel

All his books are very intense. This one was very disturbing but a fantastic read nonetheless.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Unfortunately for all of the Thatcher-haters she is not responsible for the geology of the country that meant we had already extracted as much coal from the ground as was economic to mine.

Will it be Alex Salmons fault if he is in charge of Scotland when the oil runs out?

The problem is not what she did, but the spped and how she did it. The mines were not as economically viable and cuts were inevitable, but the legacy exists today because Thatcher's Government failed miserably to help people retrain and learn new skills to access new jobs. Geoffrey Howe virtually admitted that they screwed up recently. As part of my job A few years back, I visite dmany of the old mining communities and they are riven with generational unemployment, kids being born into families who have never worked because mining was all they knew. The Last Labour Government tried to inject money into these regions to help them retrain and set up businesses and access jobs, but they also failed.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The problem is not what she did, but the spped and how she did it. The mines were not as economically viable and cuts were inevitable, but the legacy exists today because Thatcher's Government failed miserably to help people retrain and learn new skills to access new jobs. Geoffrey Howe virtually admitted that they screwed up recently. As part of my job A few years back, I visite dmany of the old mining communities and they are riven with generational unemployment, kids being born into families who have never worked because mining was all they knew. The Last Labour Government tried to inject money into these regions to help them retrain and set up businesses and access jobs, but they also failed.

agree, it it's done quickly, it gives a lot of people time to adjust.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suspect many more people hate blair for taking us into a war we should not be in

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Remind me - was it Thatcher who called the miners out on an unofficial and unballoted strike or was it Arthur Scargill? A lot of the unpleasantness was due to the actions of the strikers against those who wanted to carry on working because they had never had a chance to vote for or against the strike. Also Scargill was determined to bring down the (democratically elected) Tory governement because he didn't like it. Pit closures were just his excuse to get a strike going which he thought would bring the country to it's knees.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cue 7 pages of "Thatcher destroyed/saved the country" - delete as appropriate.

Boring.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I used to work in Widnes about a mile from Fiddlers Ferry power station which was built above a coal seam (Bold Colliery in St Helens I think).

It ended up using Venezulean coal shipped from half way across the world because it was cheaper!

You could argue that the Venezulean miners were probably woefully underpaid but thats Economics.

From my background I far rather deplore the wholesale destruction of the UK Car and Motorcycle Industry, which removed skilled engineering jobs, rather than the (on the whole) unskilled, dirty and dangerous Mining Industry.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cue 7 pages of "Thatcher destroyed/saved the country" - delete as appropriate.

Boring.

Agreed, another pointless discussion on Mrs T who was the greatest modern day leader

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Remind me - was it Thatcher who called the miners out on an unofficial and unballoted strike or was it Arthur Scargill? A lot of the unpleasantness was due to the actions of the strikers against those who wanted to carry on working because they had never had a chance to vote for or against the strike. Also Scargill was determined to bring down the (democratically elected) Tory governement because he didn't like it. Pit closures were just his excuse to get a strike going which he thought would bring the country to it's knees.

Ahh the sweet smell of innocent naivety......

The National Conference of the NUM had already approved the strike.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Did the coal run out then? Everywhere? Really? Did Scargill think a strike would create more coal?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Totally incorrect, most mines were still perfectly capable of turning a profit

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I suspect many more people hate blair for taking us into a war we should not be in

Very true, especially the relatives of the 179 UK military personal whom died in Iraq as a direct result of Tony Blair's actions.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Totally incorrect, most mines were still perfectly capable of turning a profit

Easy to say, harder to prove.

Empirical evidence just doesn't seem to back that up though does it. Jakarta's post kind of sums it up, coal being shipped in from around teh World was cheaper, and often of better quality.

If there was still a profit to be made, how come no-one has bought up these old mines, re-opened them and cashed in? We hear plenty about non-renewable fuel sources being scarce, and the labour in these areas would be cheap because of the horrific levels of unemployment that many of these areas still suffer, so why has no-one ever mined these areas since?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here