Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Minder ITV 4

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Classic TV on every afternoon. Younger NSCers should give it a go :thumbsup:

Big call from Dennis Waterman back in the day, he turned down Series 4 of The Sweeney, and briefly fell out with John Thaw in the process, in order to go with the 'new' show.

Turned out to be TV gold, well at least Series 1-7, after Terry McCann left for Oz it was never the same. (And Thaw obviously ended up with Morse and Kavanagh QC)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nothing like bigging up a wife beater

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Big fan.

There was a classic line from Dave in the Winchester in yesterdays episode, talking to Arthur when they were talking about Bond.
"I met Sean Connery once. Before he became Roger Moore" :lolol:

Always love seeing early-eighties London and the motors as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought the first series with Gary Webster after Waterman had left was pretty good - even refreshed the programme and gave it a bit of a boost at first, IMHO - but ultimately Waterman was right, the concept had run its course and its time was up.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Loved some of the early series, but in the latter ones, the comedy replaced the drama, and the scripts got weaker. Not surprising, I guess, when you go beyond 10 series.

Loved the way that Sergeant Chisholm was constantly wound-up and frustrated by Arfur - every time he thought he had him "bang to rights", Arfur and Terry wriggled-out of their dodgy situation, to Chisholm's increasing annoyance.

Some great bantz too, such as Chisholm visiting Arfur's lockup (again) looking for stolen goods, and Arfur asks "Do you know anything about gardening, Mr Chisholm?", to which Terry instantly quips "Nah, but he knows a thing or two about planting, don't you?".

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
It does plough through amazing actors. Most episodes, no matter how many extras Dennis Waterman is usually the worst actor. It seems like most of Britain's finest appeared at the end of start of their careers. I love watching out for parts of London I recognise.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Ray Winstone was also in it from time to time.

Favourite line on seeing the police on the Thames, "watch out it's the River Filth!".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simply one of the finest TV shows ever made. Brilliant scripts and plots, tremendous acting from not just the main two but a stellar supporting cast of pretty big names: Billy Connolly, Richard Griffiths, Suzi Quattro etc.

I’m a bit surprised it’s not been exported to other countries: if they could translate some of the cockney expressions - “he was a bit elephants last time I saw him” - I’m sure it’s appeal would absolutely be universal.

As someone who can never tell these things, I wonder if Terry’s irresistiblilty to literally every woman in West London, whether stripper or Sloane Ranger, would be borne out in fact.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What a career George Cole had: just look at the characters he played that people have taken to: he’s a bit of a Flash Harry, he’s a right Arthur Daley, a dodgy motor, Terence my son, oh my gawd it’s Chisholm and his dragon and so on.

His very occasional malapropisms in Minder crease me up every time too, flawlessly delivered: when he talks about Habeus Porpoise etc etc. Genius.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to love this as a kid. Went from drama to a comedy but I think this helped with the longevity of the show. I also liked it when Gary Webster took over.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Simply one of the finest TV shows ever made. Brilliant scripts and plots, tremendous acting from not just the main two but a stellar supporting cast of pretty big names: Billy Connolly, Richard Griffiths, Suzi Quattro etc.

I’m a bit surprised it’s not been exported to other countries: if they could translate some of the cockney expressions - “he was a bit elephants last time I saw him” - I’m sure it’s appeal would absolutely be universal.

As someone who can never tell these things, I wonder if Terry’s irresistiblilty to literally every woman in West London, whether stripper or Sloane Ranger, would be borne out in fact.
I've often wondered if it worked that way. If I'd been an actor, and was lucky enough to be cast in high profile, popular TV programmes as someone who women just hopped into bed with (like Waterman, or Martin Shaw (The Professionals, Judge John Deed)) with no strings and no consequences, would that have rubbed off into my real life? Could life have been very different (and a lot more fun!)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here