Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall's football ground.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
QPR is a horrible stadium, loads of away fans have been complaining about restricted view seats in the upper tier.

The away end at The New Den is much better than Loftus Road.

I agree, how the concourse area passes h&s in league 2 let alone the premier league amazes me.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Agree with all of the OP other than drinking round London Bridge area. So many people, so few decent pub options.

I can't agree with you there - plenty of decent pubs in the area round London Bridge: the Royal Oak (the Seagulls over London pub), the Market Porter, King's Head, Hornimans and the Bridge (an Adnams pub on Tower Bridge Road). The George is a bit of a tourist trap, but is worth a visit as it's London's last galleried pub. The Shipwright's Arms is not a bad pub, though I wouldn't wear colours, as it's a Millwall pub. There is also a cracking Thai restaurant, the Suchard, where I had a very enjoyable meal before the match.

I agree, how the concourse area passes h&s in league 2 let alone the premier league amazes me.

Watford's away end concourse verges on the dangerous too. Mind you, the away end concourse at West Ham is pretty narrow too, as is the one at Liverpool. I seem to remember going out for a leak and a drink at half time was pretty uncomfortable. The best I've come across apart from the Amex are Birmingham, Derby, Doncaster and Wigan, all of which seem to have been designed with easy circulation in mind.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
One of the few new grounds (if it can still be classed as that) to feel like a proper football ground

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
It's ok.i think the reason why people like it is because the away stand is behind the goal & has good acoustics that creates a good noise.The fact that there are no pubs near the ground for away fans mean that you have to drink in & around London bridge so you probably get to the ground early & create a good atmosphere earlier than you would normally do if you were drinking closer to the ground & arriving in dribs & drabs.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Agree with all of the OP other than drinking round London Bridge area. So many people, so few decent pub options.

have to disagree here.London Bridge is one of the better areas for away day boozing,there are some cracking pubs up there and going by the state of many Tuesday night they are all within easy staggering distance of each other

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You were allowed outside if you wanted to smoke and the stewarding very relax, No hassle whatsoever ever from them. Something ours could learn from.
It did lack real ale though. Shame they are going down as it's a good venue,
Drinking at London Bridge is also great with plenty of options.

There are plenty of grounds now that have worked out some sort of compromise to allow smokers out at half time for a puff,after the initial blanket ban keep everyone locked in for 90 mins after the law change.Im guessing keeping people happy has its merits as far as policing a crowd goes.Millwall seemed to be extra lax though being able to take your beer outside as well(im def not moaning about that).

With our current ground location and modern security its a shame BHA is behind the times with this,other grounds have a safety certificate in place after deciding to permit fans out for a smoke........why cant we organise it?

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Quote Originally Posted by Wrong-Direction
Agree, will be a shame to lose them as its a great away day, still rather them get the boot then us!

THAN. THAN. THAN. THAN. THAN.

That is all.

It does sound as if you are saying Millwall gets the boot and then BHA.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The best I've come across apart from the Amex are Birmingham, Derby, Doncaster and Wigan, all of which seem to have been designed with easy circulation in mind.

Interesting, not been to Wigan until next month but reading the away supporters website lots of fans of larger followings say it a bit small.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I thought I was in the minority for actually liking the New Den but it appears not. The morons to either side can be annoying but then every ground has them.

The Den, the old one, was an intimidating ground that was horrible for away fans but I can understand why some home fans miss it as it certainly gave the home side an advantage.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There are plenty of grounds now that have worked out some sort of compromise to allow smokers out at half time for a puff,after the initial blanket ban keep everyone locked in for 90 mins after the law change.Im guessing keeping people happy has its merits as far as policing a crowd goes.Millwall seemed to be extra lax though being able to take your beer outside as well(im def not moaning about that).

With our current ground location and modern security its a shame BHA is behind the times with this,other grounds have a safety certificate in place after deciding to permit fans out for a smoke........why cant we organise it?

Millwall set it up because before they did, walking into the toilets was like walking into an opium den. That was definately not suitable for taking young kids into, however, i do agree, their current system is definately the way forward for all clubs

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I thought I was in the minority for actually liking the New Den but it appears not. The morons to either side can be annoying but then every ground has them.

The Den, the old one, was an intimidating ground that was horrible for away fans but I can understand why some home fans miss it as it certainly gave the home side an advantage.

I agree with that, I watched one game from the stands thankfully, the away fans were pelted in their little section with all kinds of crap. But that was back in the 1970's though.

Jan 30, 2008
I personally love it. The viewing is superb and you are close to the action. It's a smart tight little ground which i must say i prefer to watch football in then our ground. The atmosphere is normally good their but last night it was a poor turn out from the home fans.
You were allowed outside if you wanted to smoke and the stewarding very relax, No hassle whatsoever ever from them. Something ours could learn from.
It did lack real ale though. Shame they are going down as it's a good venue,
Drinking at London Bridge is also great with plenty of options.
Get off at New cross gate and say the same thing ???
regards
DR

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

How was it intimidating? I never went

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Interesting, not been to Wigan until next month but reading the away supporters website lots of fans of larger followings say it a bit small.

You don't need to spend anytime on the concourse as now they have moved us to behind the goal we have a nightclub to go in before the game starts, under our stand only a few yards from the turnstiles.

SAC

May 21, 2014
How was it intimidating? I never went

It's obviously quite a few years ago now but from memory getting to and from the ground was very intimidating walking through the side streets. It felt as if all eyes were on you, despite no one wearing any colours it felt as if everyone was watching you and knew that you weren't Millwall. Possibly because we were walking upright. Inside the ground it felt as if it was going to kick off at any moment.

I would have been a teenager at the time and found it very intimidating but I suppose it could have just been my teenage mind working overtime along with their reputation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here