Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall racists in the Sun. WTF????

Albion Rob

My morning has just been enlivened slightly by one of the most subjective pieces of journalism I have ever seen which basically suggests the Den on Saturday was a cauldren of racial hatred.

Basically, the Sun sent Raymond Enisuoh, sports editor of New Nation, to the game on Saturday and he has now contributed a page which will make very uncomfortable reading for Lions fans.

I'll gloss over the fact that he says: "Millwall outsung the small section of visiting fans." because I don't know whether his is blind and deaf so it would be unfair to pass comment but I never saw or heard a lot of what else he said happened.

First he claims that sections of their fans were chanting "Sieg Heil" and giving the salutes - I never saw that. His next claim is that the Millwall fans unfurled a racist banner halfway through the second half - now, unless it was written on a piece of A4 paper and held up , I find that quite unlikely because I think that out of almost 1,500 Albion fans there, someone would have spotted it and passed comment.

Throughout the piece he mentions the amount of aggro, and objects, hurled at the black stewards, again, nothingwas visible from the away end and you would expect some sort of commotion, even if it was just the police going over to film whoever it was.

To this guy's 'credit' he doesn't mention the only arrest made in the stafium that day, which appers to have been in the Brighton end but he does say Barry Hayles was booed off because he was black - to be honest I felt most of the booing was coming from our end.

However, the 'piece de resistence' comes when he says before the game he was warned by an elderly man not to walk through a certain housing estate as he got off the train at Surrey Quays station. Well, I'm glad there is plenty of quanitfiable evidence of this becasue I would hate the thought that Millwall could just turn round and say: "Well, we dispute this ever happened and what does walking through a nearby estate have to do with Millwall Football Club."

Overall, I can't understand it when people write things like this. It just seems to do more harm than good for their casue. To be honest, were it not for the fact there is a picture of the guy in the ground, I would dispute the siggestion he had even been there on Saturday.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
What a knob! When will Millwall ever shake off this tag, they were not at fault against Liverpool but were blamed!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wanker. Why do people do this? Problem is non-football people believe this sort of shit.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
We've suffered from this sort of rubbish on numerous occasions since the infamous Leeds game. The tabloids send their hacks to grounds such as the New Den and Ninian Park in order to look for trouble, and when they don't find any they simply make things up. It really is quite amazing.

Albion Rob

The Laughing Bluebird said:
We've suffered from this sort of rubbish on numerous occasions since the infamous Leeds game. The tabloids send their hacks to grounds such as the New Den and Ninian Park in order to look for trouble, and when they don't find any they simply make things up. It really is quite amazing.

That's what makes it so strange though, he's not a staff reporter but someone who works for an anti-racist publication who was asked to go along to the game. The bloke has obviously got a message to get across but for some reason seems to think that by making things up he will get a better reaction from his audience.

Then again, I suppose the only people who can verify or disagree with what he says are the 10,000 or so people there so he will probably get away with it.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'm surprised he hasn't BLASTED us for chanting "sieg heil" throughout the game.

Or was it "seagulls"?

Seriously, Barry Hayles booed because he was black? WTF? I'm a bit of a tree-hugger but even I thought that Millwall fans booed because they thought he had been playing well. He was replaced by Paul Ifil (his skin colour is what again?) who scored a belter. Seem to remember the Millwall fans going nuts over that strike.

Racist banner? Like you say Rob, it must have been A4 'cos I didn't see a thing.

Even Leon didn't get booed by the Millwall fans, and he usually gets shit off opposition fans. Likewise I don't remember Kuipers saying anything about racism after the match.

This is the first time i've actually felt sorry for Millwall fans.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take it the Seig Heil chant was a misheard version of "seagulls"

I too read this and thought it was a disgrace. This "lets look for racism everywhere we can" stuff is getting bollocks!

It was interesting he didn't hear any homophobic chanting...but there again, I think he had a different agenda.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tossers.

Millwall are working hard with the police, FA and local community to sort out thier problems and all they get is shit.

They had the least number of arrests of any league club last season and they have made The New Den one of the safest grounds for away fans to visit.

Against Liverpool, yes the chants were wrong, but were prompted by the Liverpool fans ripping up over 70 seats and causing trouble all day. Liverpool were there for a scrap then dobbed Millwall in because a minority said some nasty things.

I can only assume that none of the Liverpool fans present that day have ever sung 'Always check on the runway for ice' at Old Trafford. Bless their little burberry cotton socks.

This is irresponsible journalism.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This makes me so f*cking angry!

I too was there and did not see or hear anything REMOTELY racist.

What a prize prick. A guy with an obvious chip on his shoulder is able to write whatever he wants to the detriment of whoever he likes.

I for one will be writing an email of complain to 'The Sun!.

Twats! :angry:

Oct 25, 2003
millwall have tried f***ing hard to sort themselves out, at the expense of falling gate receipts.

they sort it out well, and still get shit from the press

this gives me RAGE

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Having read some extracts on a Millwall board I think he HAS got seagulls confused with sieg heil!

He mentions "suppoorters at the far end throwing nazi salutes whilst chanting sieg heil".

I really do think he means us.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Is the article online anywhere, as I'd be interested to read it.

For what it's worth I thought that the Millwall fans generated the best home atmosphere of any set of supporters I've seen away this season. There was some decidedly un-PC banter between them and us, but no suggestion of racism - unless you think chavs, faggotts or pikeys as a races.

Our "Seagulls" chant has been mistaken for a racist chant before, so that part of the article doesn't suprise me.

Albion Rob

Curious Orange said:
Is the article online anywhere, as I'd be interested to read it.

For what it's worth I thought that the Millwall fans generated the best home atmosphere of any set of supporters I've seen away this season. There was some decidedly un-PC banter between them and us, but no suggestion of racism - unless you think chavs, faggotts or pikeys as a races.

Our "Seagulls" chant has been mistaken for a racist chant before, so that part of the article doesn't suprise me.

Sounds like you're right.

And the guy that wrote the piece is.... a sports editor :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Obviously has a good knowledge of football at this level and is aware of our club's nickname.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I have just read this article in open mouthed disbelief! This is quite the most disgusting piece of journalism i've seen. :angry:

If it were not so serious i'd laugh at his claim that the Millwall fans were shouting Sieg Heil when in fact it was us shouting Seagulls.

I know Millwall have had their troubles and let's not forget that ALL clubs have sections of fans we could all do without for various reasons, but this travesty of the truth is appalling.

I strongly feel that on this occasion Brighton fans perhaps backed up by the club ought to make some orchestrated defence on behalf of Millwall. Quite frankly complaining to The Sun will get us nowhere but in the first instance why not write to the Mirror.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Have a look at the messageboard at www.hof.org.uk

Looks like that journalist is starting to get the reaction that he wanted.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Have spoken to Millwall FC and am waiting for them to call me back. Went to the game with my son 10 and daughter 16 and had a good safe, unitimidating day out. Have suggested that we on this sitemight be able to help. Will post further when more news.

Makes me so angry as if this had been published before our game it might have put us off going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here