Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall Article - Sun Reply

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Apologies if posted elsewhere on here. Just received this from The Sun.

----------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Raymond Enisuoh Article

Thank you very much for contacting The Sun with your comments about the
article on fans at Millwall Football Club.
Obviously there are always two sides to an argument and I thought you
would be interested to know that we gave a large amount of space to the
fans' response in The Sun today, Thursday, December 16.
We published a half-page article by New Den season ticket holder Frank
Maloney titled 'I'm proud of Millwall' and we ran a page of letters from
readers under the headline 'Reporter was wrong on racism at Millwall
game.'
I hope you feel we have allowed both sides to express a view on a
subject that provokes very strong opinions.
Thank you again for taking the trouble to contact us. We always
appreciate hearing from our readers.
Graham Dudman
Managing Editor
The Sun

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I didn't hear any racism from Millwall fans saturday.On the contrary, it was noticeable how over the top the applause for the substituted black player was when he left the field in the 2nd half.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Harold said:
Apologies if posted elsewhere on here. Just received this from The Sun.

----------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Raymond Enisuoh Article

Thank you very much for contacting The Sun with your comments about the
article on fans at Millwall Football Club.
Obviously there are always two sides to an argument and I thought you
would be interested to know that we gave a large amount of space to the
fans' response in The Sun today, Thursday, December 16.
We published a half-page article by New Den season ticket holder Frank
Maloney titled 'I'm proud of Millwall' and we ran a page of letters from
readers under the headline 'Reporter was wrong on racism at Millwall
game.'
I hope you feel we have allowed both sides to express a view on a
subject that provokes very strong opinions.
Thank you again for taking the trouble to contact us. We always
appreciate hearing from our readers.
Graham Dudman
Managing Editor
The Sun

Can I forward this to the Millwall Press Office as per my other posts and "A Seagulls Tale" on their site?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Wrote:

Many thanks for your reply.

I noticed, with mixed feelings, that some space was devoted to a reply in today's The Sun. I would like to point out, however, that no Brighton fans' reactions were printed on the letters page. Nor was there an apology.

The Sun's readers will no doubt have expected Millwall fans to have been up in arms, and will have expected them to defend their club. Yet I know many Brighton fans who felt aggrieved by the article, rival fans who are supporting Millwall in their battle against racism. Printing at least one response from a Brighton fan would have done far more than a host of letters from Millwall.

Unfortunately, whatever the reply, The Sun's irresponsible and inaccurate journalism has already done a great deal of damage.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
Wrote:

Many thanks for your reply.

I noticed, with mixed feelings, that some space was devoted to a reply in today's The Sun. I would like to point out, however, that no Brighton fans' reactions were printed on the letters page. Nor was there an apology.

The Sun's readers will no doubt have expected Millwall fans to have been up in arms, and will have expected them to defend their club. Yet I know many Brighton fans who felt aggrieved by the article, rival fans who are supporting Millwall in their battle against racism. Printing at least one response from a Brighton fan would have done far more than a host of letters from Millwall.

Unfortunately, whatever the reply, The Sun's irresponsible and inaccurate journalism has already done a great deal of damage.

Looks like you won't be getting any work from them for a a while then mate

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
eastlondonseagull said:
I know, thought about that after I clicked send! Oh well, f*** 'em anyway!
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :dunce: you only write for Nuts anyway mate. the sun is way to far upmarket for your pikey chav trash :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I'm sorry, but that response from The Sun is not good enough. The bloke says there are two sides to every argument. But the "argument" only arose because The Sun printed a story from a journalist which contained several disgraceful factual inaccuracies and printed an editorial condemning Millwall on the basis of these.
I'm sorry, but where's the argument? Millwall have been wronged and unless The Sun says so in an editorial piece then the balance won't be redressed.
And there goes a flying pig...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I received the same "copy and paste" reply. So here's mine.

Sir,

I am sorry but this is simply not good enough. Every letter you printed today was from a Millwall fan - and we both know you received many from Brighton fans.

Any reader knows Millwall fans would attempt to defend their club whatever the facts, so printing their letters only does nothing. A single letter from a Brighton fan would have done more to redress the balance than all the letters from Millwall fans.

And to mention the "two sides to an argument" is beyond belief. This isn't an argument - we are not debating opinions. This is about FACTS. The fans were chanting "seagulls", not "seig heil". You cannot now deny this.

I could also not help but notice there was no sign of an apology. This is disgraceful. The Sun newspaper must know it has made a big mistake here, there is very little point pretending otherwise. An apology must be made.

Fans United have stuck together throughout many issues, such as Brighton's Falmer appeal and Wrexham's "Save The Racecourse" appeal to pick a couple of examples. They will continue to do so here until The Sun prints a full apology in the Editorial column - nothing else can come close to undoing the potential damage this article has caused.

I hope that further communication is not necessary, but given The Sun's inability to publicly admit its mistake so far I am not holding my breath.

Dan Coomber

I'm not going to let this rest, and hope more than a few are with me. I will write every day until an apology is in the Editorial, so my bandwidth could be on the rise, but I think it's worth it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here