[Travel] Mill Road P&R Chaos

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not really free travel though in my opinion no matter how PB tries to portray it as such. I pay for a season ticket which has a travel option attached to it therefore its not free, the club can claim its free but its not really is it. Regardless, its a service the club essentially provide that I have no option but to use and it should be fit for purpose and effective which its clearly not. Hiding behind the 'its free so suck it up' excuse is a recipe for losing season ticket holders. Club need to find a way to improve it or a lot of fans will start giving games a miss
It's not just season ticket holders tho eh? It's every damn person that attends a match. Must be a very tiny minority that don't find the transport options (public OR private) to be just a little bit shit

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Spend £40m on a new striker or perhaps £10s of million (I dunno) on sorting better/permanent transport options? One sexy but possibly a Locadia in waiting or one really not sexy but might sustain customer fanbase and renewals?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not just season ticket holders tho eh? It's every damn person that attends a match. Must be a very tiny minority that don't find the transport options (public OR private) to be just a little bit shit
:wave:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I know i don't go to the Amex much these days but me and my neighbour walked from Mill Road to the Amex in 1hr 15mins for the Chelsea game. Not a bad option if you plan your route and the weather is ok. Quicker than some people getting the bus.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I know i don't go to the Amex much these days but me and my neighbour walked from Mill Road to the Amex in 1hr 15mins for the Chelsea game. Not a bad option if you plan your route and the weather is ok. Quicker than some people getting the bus.
Hang on, I'll just check with my kids...

It's a firm 'no'.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And how long did the walk back up Coldean Lane take ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He's not longer on the fan advisory board.

Have to say, though, as someone who comes down from London for matches, the club REALLY needs to sort out Mill Road (and, ideally, alternatives).

It's already a trek, which tests my kids. Long delays on P'n'R could (genuinely) be the straw which breaks the camel's back when it comes to season ticket renewal.
Big surprise, what a soppy piece of shit THAT turned out to be :lolol:

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I raised the subject of P & R with Paul Barber a couple of years ago - when Mithras House closed.

At the time, that was said to be temporary - however it's now very obviously permanent.

I asked whether the matter of how the P & R could be improved could be raised with the transport manager (I thought we had one) but PB said we didn't have one.....

IMO, the whole question of transport to/from The Amex needs addressing -

No Bennett's Field (meaning less parking at UNI)
No Mithras House
No Bendy Busses at Mill Road.
Bigger crowds than when the Amex opened.
Discussions with train companies regarding length of trains.

All of the above need addressing.

Just ignoring the problem, and thinking it will go away is a sure fire way to p**s off your 'customers'

Perhaps someone who campaigned for our votes on the FAB could take up this matter?
I am pretty sure the club did have a transport manager (or someone who fulfilled that role) because I knew him. But he retired just over a year ago and maybe that is part of the issue (and why PB says we don't have one now). My understanding was that he did quite a lot of negotiating with the bus, rail, parking and P&R site providers some of whom were quite difficult to deal with but he had built up relationships with them to some point in order to get workable solutions. Anyway I agree with the general comments on this thread. It needs someone at the club to seriously address and improve what we currently have.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
As an aside and a bit O/T the whole thing about 'sustainable transport' certainly with regard to Park 'N' Ride is complete bollocks and was only put in to try and keep the Greens onside. Luckily no one questioned why driving, parking, and then catching a fuel-swilling fume-belching bus is 'sustainable', but driving, parking and walking isn't.

The Greens had 3 councillors in Brighton and Hove after the 1999 elections. The stadium application was submitted in 2001. I am not sure the 45 Labour councillors at the time really had to worry about keeping the Greens "onside".

The P&R sites don't exist simply to tick some sustainable transport boxes.

Personally, I find the trains okay. Arriving at Brighton an hour or so before KO and then getting in the queue to go home an hour or so after final whistle is usually fine unless there’s an issue with the actual service. If this is happens get the bus or a cab.
Yes, when they are running 6 trains an hour between Brighton and Lewes and they are all/mostly lengthened this seems to work pretty well if there are no perturbations.

Unfortunately those travelling onwards past Hove have a bit of a challenge now with half the number of services running compared to pre-pandemic days. These are never lengthened either.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was in the Racecourse queue and missed the first tranche of buses at the end. There was then a longer than usual wait for them to return down Falmer Road (40 mins maybe) as the traffic lights at the stadium don't let many vehicles through as they try to clear the stadium roads first. Obviously the flaw in this plan is the buses stuck in that queue that are needed to help clear the stadium.
Precisely - the traffic lights are manually controlled on matchdays and from what I’ve seen the priority is letting traffic out of Village Way, meaning traffic is queued on The Drove/Falmer Road - queue has been much longer the last couple of games than previously. Having to allow the (seemingly impatient and mostly angry) people out of the parking in the farm shop doesn’t help either - would be a big help if their time allocation of green light was reduce.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ideally on match days it would be the new Thameslink stock used as a shuttle between Brighton and Lewes. Can fit so many more people standing up in those.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think folks nowadays seem to forget it was never originally supposed to be about the car parking. That's just crept in over the years. It was originally supposed to be all about the seamless public transport. Funny how that was allowed to turn to shit ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Personally, I find the trains okay. Arriving at Brighton an hour or so before KO and then getting in the queue to go home an hour or so after final whistle is usually fine unless there’s an issue with the actual service. If this is happens get the bus or a cab.

I think that a rough estimate of the P&R, Train Station, whatever an hour before, and expecting to queues to be gone an hour afterwards is perfectly reasonable and what we have had since we've been at the Amex. It's because this has now changed (sometimes significantly) that everyone is up in arms.

With these knees ? :facepalm:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's because this has now changed (sometimes significantly) that everyone is up in arms.

There’s more people than ever before attending matches and they’ve got to get there somehow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports