Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mike Bailey all over again

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
This period is nothing like the Bailey era. For one thing Bailey won quite a few games playing a very boring defensive style not dissimilar to the one Hughton preferred.
The difference was, Bailey won quite a few games. But after criticism he changed the style of play.
I seriously remember a reporter at the end of the 1981/82 season asking Bailey if he regretted changing as Albion had dropped to 13th!!! Because prior to that they were in with a shout of a UEFA cup spot.
Also when he left he climbed over the East Terrace at the Goldstone to avoid the press. I’d like to see Potter do the same at the Amex!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
actually under Bailey

we scored more goals at home than Man Utd & Arsenal both who finished in the top 5 back in 81-82

we were dreadful away from home though

apart from a great win down at the Dell,against Keegan et al

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the OP is trying to suggest that Potter is the new Melia. Yes, I know, so absurd it whooshed you.

The one worrying parallel is that despite everything we might get relegated this season. But....one thing I can guarantee is we won't be arriving at Wmeberlee in a helecopter dressed in hideous suits.

Wimberlee no . . .but hideous suits and dodgy shoes is far from out of the question.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Fans and board not happy with boring but stable football, sack Bailey for jimmy melia and get relagated
Fans and board not happy with boring but stable football , sack Chris Hughton for potter and get relagated
There’s your parallel

Can see where you're coming from, but Hughtons last 5 months was anything but stable, it was because of the total lacklustre bus parking, devoid of any attacking threat that he got the boot. If we were as stable as the first 1 1/2 seasons in the PL, he'd still be here.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Fans and board not happy with boring but stable football, sack Bailey for jimmy melia and get relagated
Fans and board not happy with boring but stable football , sack Chris Hughton for potter and get relagated
There’s your parallel

It wasn't and isn't quite as simple as that. First Bailey was persuaded to change his boring but stable approach in favour of more attacking football. We lost our way completely and then he was sacked, and we threw away a first division place to chase an FA Cup final.

And our boring football under Chris Hughton was proving anything but stable. We only survived last season thanks to Palace giving us six points and then beating Cardiff, which we couldn't do ourselves.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Can see where you're coming from, but Hughtons last 5 months was anything but stable, it was because of the total lacklustre bus parking, devoid of any attacking threat that he got the boot. If we were as stable as the first 1 1/2 seasons in the PL, he'd still be here.

Unfortunately, we are still devoid of any attacking threat.

Hopefully that will change on Tuesday. Oh, the constant hoping that is the plight of the Albion fan! :albion2:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Huge game Tuesday. Let's try to stay positive till Hope disappears over the horizon with it's bum on fire (which may well not happen).

We'll dominate possession, find half-a-dozen new ways not to score and then let Callum Wilson break his long scoring duck five minutes from the end and lose 1-0. You know it, I know it, everyone on here knows it.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Getting back to what this thread is about, CH was sacked at the end of the season, giving Potter a much longer run-in as manager than Melia got when taking over in December. Quite apart from the playing style criticism against Bailey, there was the financial problem of falling gates which produced only half (or thereabouts) the revenue needed for Albion to break even. We might say that Bailey's "style" and a disappointing run of results was his downfall but that can't be viewed in isolation from an underlying and developing financial malaise. Was Bailey directly responsible for that? Still a matter of debate and of opinion!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is it May already?

Bit early for such snowflakery I think.

Hold your nerve.

We were down well before May last time - if not literally then effectively).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not up to date. Have Albion been relegated ?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I'm not up to date. Have Albion been relegated ?

Not yet but we’ve not got a Cardiff or a Huddersfield to save us this year
And we’re on less points than this time last year
Norwich & Bournemouth not the best but others around good enough to keep chalking up points
Maybe villa could keep us up but we couldn’t even beat them at home, with a 2nd half performance that was reminiscent from many performances from the back end of last season
Potter still not sure on his best starting 11 from week to week and it’s now January, it’s not squad rotation its not having a clue on who his best side is
Our away form hasn’t changed from last season and at home pretty much the same
Not heard now either for a while from pundits saying how much a better side we are from last season
We’ve still got a great chance of staying up and hopefully we will but very worrying signs IMO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here