Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miicrosoft customer services

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Thats the beauty of linux. I've used many distros but heres a few of my favourites.
Kubuntu rather than ubuntu
Solus
Zorin
slitaz
pclinux
It all depends on the hardware on the machine. Theres a distro for every application you could possibly imagine. Most don't have all the bloatware associated with other OS's so tend to load and run faster, even on older pc's. In fact, some don't even need a hard drive.
The terminology may seem to be slightly alien to start with, but there's distros that look and feel like a windows based OS and are very idiot friendly

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thats the beauty of linux.

thats the weakness of Linux. too much choice, too many options, its difficult enough for people to make a switch from what they are comfortable with (Windows), so they dont. beyond the big half dozen, they are for enthusiasts to tinker with, not for mainstream users.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just googled Linux distros to get an idea about them and to me a novice they seem much too complicated and probably better for me to buy a copy of Windows 7 on E bay.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
thats the weakness of Linux. too much choice, too many options, its difficult enough for people to make a switch from what they are comfortable with (Windows), so they dont. beyond the big half dozen, they are for enthusiasts to tinker with, not for mainstream users.
I have to disagree. Microsoft, like any other company, is in it to make money so their product is offered OEM with off the shelf computers. If the retailers offered the same PC's £50-100 cheaper with a different OS installed, what's to say their share of the market would remain the same.
There's quite a few more than half a dozen linux distros that can be used straight 'out of the box' without having to speak C++ or even using a command prompt.
It's all a case of supply and demand. Software companies will write most programmes for windows or OSX because that is what's supplied.
My main point is with linux you don't have to have all the attached paraphernalia which the average user doesn't need or will ever use. CHOICE is a strength of linux, not a weakness.
Oh, BTW my main PC is running windows 7! (not through my choice, she who must be obeyed wants it cos that's what she uses at work)

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Distos like mint are great, but they are not for the absolute novice. I love linux and have it on all my pcs and laptops, but would never give it to my wife or parents. Windows 8 is cheaper than 7 but it is pretty crap.
I live and work with open source products but would not recommend open / libra office for business as word documents never work well when opened in real office.
Easy = windows / office
Best = mac osx
Favourite = mint (Linux)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I just googled Linux distros to get an idea about them and to me a novice they seem much too complicated and probably better for me to buy a copy of Windows 7 on E bay.

As I said about terminology! Burning an ISO file onto disc and following what the on screen instructions mean including setting up partitions on the hard drive maybe not everyones cup of tea

D

Deleted member 22389

Thats the beauty of linux. I've used many distros but heres a few of my favourites.
Kubuntu rather than ubuntu
Solus
Zorin
slitaz
pclinux
It all depends on the hardware on the machine. Theres a distro for every application you could possibly imagine. Most don't have all the bloatware associated with other OS's so tend to load and run faster, even on older pc's. In fact, some don't even need a hard drive.
The terminology may seem to be slightly alien to start with, but there's distros that look and feel like a windows based OS and are very idiot friendly

Kubuntu is great. At the moment I am using Mint. Probably get bored with that soon and try something else. That is what I love about Linux the choice to downlaod and install what you want.
Got loads of games coming to Linux as well now.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have been using Linux since Mandrake 8. 12 years ago Linux was a pig to use. I love using the terminal for some things for example installing software deb packages. It is a lot quicker than using things like the software centre.
Also just editing files through a text file.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have to disagree.

despite the timely example of BensGrandad above? OS free and Linux installed PCs have been tried and failed to gain any traction, Linux desktops enjoys a lower install base than Macs or even Windows Vista!! choice is a only strength for ideological followers of Linux, until advocates realise this confuses the users it will always remain a weakness. if you dont think it is, then what is? it certainly isnt cost, available applications or ease of use. we see what happens when one imposes a distro on a userbase, Andriod + skin, users are generally happy with the result.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
What I like about Linux is that it can really breathe new life into an old machine.

I've got a couple of old laptops lying about which I've used to experiment a little with Linux on. Despite being hardware that's about eight years old, they can perform perfectly well for basic tasks using a lightweight Linux distro

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Many thanks for that. As you can see most of it is double dutch to me I just want a computer that works at a reasonable speed so I am not waiting ages for anything to happen and doesnt keep going wrong.
Don't we all ! Restart is the advice we always get form our IT support team :(

Although to be fair, they do then come and fix it pretty sharpish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here