Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Miep Gies dies at 100

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Never heard of her? Well, she was Otto Frank's secretary in Amsterdam at the outbreak of World War Two, and was one of those who kept the Frank family alive by secretly bringing food to them when they were in hiding.

When the Gestapo found the hiding place it was her who got to Anne's diary first and kept it safe until the end of the war, when she gave it back to Anne's dad, Otto.

The world could do with more people like Miep Gies. RIP

nrc.nl - International - Anne Franks last helper, Miep Gies (100) dies

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Seconded - a heroine beyond words, not least for her efforts in saving the diary. So was it a coincidence that only last night BBC4 was showing a long, fascinating and very moving documentary about Anne Frank in which she featured very prominently?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was watching Anne Frank remembered last night. I didn't realise that Anne might have survived if she had not suffered from a dose of scabies which meant she wasn't transported out to another working camp, which saw most ladies there survive.

Weird coincidence that she was on TV only last night, after quite a long period of (relative) anonymity on the TV set.

Have been very fond of the Anne Frank story since going to the house whilst in Amsterdam. Have a copy of the diary on my shelf here at Uni and is always an inspiring read time after time.

RIP Miep. One who participated in a great show of human spirit at a time when many did not.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Never heard of her? Well, she was Otto Frank's secretary in Amsterdam at the outbreak of World War Two, and was one of those who kept the Frank family alive by secretly bringing food to them when they were in hiding.

When the Gestapo found the hiding place it was her who got to Anne's diary first and kept it safe until the end of the war, when she gave it back to Anne's dad, Otto.

The world could do with more people like Miep Gies. RIP

nrc.nl - International - Anne Franks last helper, Miep Gies (100) dies

Good shout!

I visited Anne Frank's House in Amsterdam a few years ago and found the experience very poignant.

That someone would do what what Miep Gies did in a time of great turmoil, risk and insanity is a life-affirming reasurrance that there can be good in human nature.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good shout!

I visited Anne Frank's House in Amsterdam a few years ago and found the experience very poignant.

That someone would do what what Miep Gies did in a time of great turmoil, risk and insanity is a life-affirming reasurrance that there can be good in human nature.

We went a few years back and it was by far the highlight of the holiday, very moving experience.

I read her obituary in the Times today and this lady really was an incredible person who did one of the most unselfish and bravest things in the entire course of the human race.

She also answered countless letters and quite probably contributed to expose and ensure everyone can understand what a disgraceful act the Holocaust was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here