Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesex v Sussex. LVCC

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably stuffed then after todays performance. Can't see Sussex having the cojones to chase down anything more than 200 so I'm afraid , we are out.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe relegation to Div 2 will be the chance to regroup and rebuild, whether Mark Robinson is past his sell by date is up for debate? And who do Sussex replace him with?
Clearly something's not right, and it goes deeper than just the first team, Mason Crane the highly rated Hampshire spinner was allowed to leave Sussex, how many other quality youngsters have slipped through the net?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Maybe relegation to Div 2 will be the chance to regroup and rebuild, whether Mark Robinson is past his sell by date is up for debate? And who do Sussex replace him with?
Clearly something's not right, and it goes deeper than just the first team, Mason Crane the highly rated Hampshire spinner was allowed to leave Sussex, how many other quality youngsters have slipped through the net?

Josh Poysden of Warwickshire likewise. Club are in a mess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mason Crane the highly rated Hampshire spinner was allowed to leave Sussex, how many other quality youngsters have slipped through the net?

That's not quite true. Crane hasn't been part of the Sussex set-up since he was 13. I've no idea why he moved; his parents could have been living in Hampshire for all I know. Either way, I'm sure that Robbo had no say in whether a 13-year-old was being kept on.

Josh Poysden of Warwickshire likewise. Club are in a mess.

Poysden was part of the Sussex set-up but seeing he has a first-class bowling average of 71, I'm sure that Sussex aren't beating their heads over the one who got away. Hell, he's only a couple of years younger than Beer (who has an average almost twice as good).

Having said that about Crane, I do think that there's a problem in the way that Sussex CCC are liaising with the local clubs. At the start of the season, there were a series of meetings where local coaches met Sussex staff.

At the one I was at, this lack of co-operation was raised: the Sussex staff admitted there was a problem and said it was an issue that was raised a lot and would be looking to improve matters. We're nearly at the end of the season and I see no sign of improvement yet

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
That's not quite true. Crane hasn't been part of the Sussex set-up since he was 13. I've no idea why he moved; his parents could have been living in Hampshire for all I know. Either way, I'm sure that Robbo had no say in whether a 13-year-old was being kept on.

Mason Crane, and his parents, have lived in West Tarring for his entire life, he was educated at both Thomas A Beckett first and Middle then won a scholarship to Lancing College, throughout that time he's played for Worthing CC, and has only recently stopped as his contract at Hampshire dictated this. I think we have to accept that Sussex have dropped a huge b****** here, Mason Crane didn't want to leave, and was gutted when he was released.

I'm don't really know the circumstances re young Poysden so can't comment.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mason Crane, and his parents, have lived in West Tarring for his entire life, he was educated at both Thomas A Beckett first and Middle then won a scholarship to Lancing College, throughout that time he's played for Worthing CC, and has only recently stopped as his contract at Hampshire dictated this. I think we have to accept that Sussex have dropped a huge b****** here, Mason Crane didn't want to leave, and was gutted when he was released.

Fair enough: although I'm surprised that Sussex told a 13-year-old he was no longer wanted - particularly a 13-year-old who's immediately snapped up by another team. But, whatever happened there, Robbo would have had little knowledge of the decision

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fair enough: although I'm surprised that Sussex told a 13-year-old he was no longer wanted - particularly a 13-year-old who's immediately snapped up by another team. But, whatever happened there, Robbo would have had little knowledge of the decision

Sussex didn't retain Crane because they didn't think he could bat or field. Around the time he was told he wasn't wanted Rajesh Maru (cricket coach at Lancing College and ex-Hants) asked him if he wanted a chance at Hants. The rest, as they say, is a Sussex **** up.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Relegation has been coming for years. In the past few seasons it's only Magoffin and Joyce that have plastered over the feeble attitude and mediocre players.
Remember Luke Wells playing up last season? That should have been a warning. Why was such a poor players acting like a superstar? He's deluded, that's why.
Piloet, Hatchett, Zaidi, Anyon, Liddle, Hobden. None of them are good enough.
Batting wise - they are good enough but aren't performing and haven't done for a while.

Robinson is a good coach and could go somewhere else and do well, but it's a classic case of staying on far too long.
There are two obvious good options - Moores and Adams.
Whoever thinks it's a good idea for us to go down and rebuild is kidding themselves. Far more likely we'll fade away. Joyce and Magoffin have been fantastic players but they are old. Without them.......

I have zero confidence they will reach 200 today let alone not lose. They have neither the fight, nor the ability. I hope they prove me wrong.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex didn't retain Crane because they didn't think he could bat or field. Around the time he was told he wasn't wanted Rajesh Maru (cricket coach at Lancing College and ex-Hants) asked him if he wanted a chance at Hants. The rest, as they say, is a Sussex **** up.

Fair enough but I stand by my assertion that Robbo would have nothing to do with that decision. It does seem an amazingly poor one though. Imagine Middlesex saying that to Tufnell or Northants to Panesar - batting ability should be no requirement for a decent spinner. And that's particularly true of a 13-year-old. remember that Pietersen as an 18-year-old was primarily thought of as a spinner - people can improve in their teens

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Relegation has been coming for years. In the past few seasons it's only Magoffin and Joyce that have plastered over the feeble attitude and mediocre players.

Piloet, Hatchett, Zaidi, Anyon, Liddle, Hobden. None of them are good enough.
Batting wise - they are good enough but aren't performing and haven't done for a while.

You're right that we've been carried by Joyce and Magoffin - this may be a season too far for Joyce, which is why we're near the bottom. And we do have too many mediocre players: I'd exempt Hobden from that list though, he's in his first full season and has had to do a lot of bowling, he'll have learned a lot. Bit harsh on Anyon too - it was only a couple of seasons ago that he was in the top 10 of the averages (although he's not getting any younger either).

We have far too many poor batsmen, however. Where are the young batsmen looking to get in the side? Harry Finch should be beating the door down but he can't score runs for the Seconds - where's the pressure? And I really don't know why we signed Piolet and Zaidi - they're not good enough for F/C cricket and hardly play in the whizzbang stuff.

Sadly, I can't see us getting 200 today either - relegation beckons

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Middlesex 234 & 331 (113.1 ov)
Sussex 300
Middlesex lead by 265 runs

About three runs an over required

Malan scores nearly all their runs, can the rain save us

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough but I stand by my assertion that Robbo would have nothing to do with that decision. It does seem an amazingly poor one though. Imagine Middlesex saying that to Tufnell or Northants to Panesar - batting ability should be no requirement for a decent spinner. And that's particularly true of a 13-year-old. remember that Pietersen as an 18-year-old was primarily thought of as a spinner - people can improve in their teens

The 13 year old Tufnell was a batsman and left armer seamer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here