Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you're not going to start Tilley, it would be risky to bring him on when it's 0-0. If we lose with him starting, it's the whole team. If it's a tight 0-0, he comes on and we lose then what happens to him? He becomes the target. It was a nothing game we got a point from and look how much people are moaning over the choice of substitutions. There would be people who would take that as a strike against Tilley, and from his second appearance, which you'd expect to be more substantial, he'd be on the back foot. Some fans would be waiting for him to make a mistake. If he comes on and turns the game around people will forget how much of a nothing game it was and build him up to legend status, and his second appearance will be attempting to live up to unrealistic expectations (which I believe is a part of the problem with JFC).

I remember Poyet, when discussing the downside of the 5 man bench, mentioning how beneficial it can be for a young player just to be a part of the match day experience even if he doesn't get to play. Bringing Tilley along for the day will have done a lot more for him than I think people are acknowledging, and getting on the field, albeit for a minute, will have been a big plus for him in his development.

Of course, that's only as a substitute as the game goes along at 0-0. I imagine if we were winning, or losing, he may have had more time, but I don't know if I can offer much of an explanation as to why we didn't start with him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Newcastle down to nine men. Pretty well as expected.

If you're not going to start Tilley, it would be risky to bring him on when it's 0-0. If we lose with him starting, it's the whole team. If it's a tight 0-0, he comes on and we lose then what happens to him? He becomes the target. It was a nothing game we got a point from and look how much people are moaning over the choice of substitutions. There would be people who would take that as a strike against Tilley, and from his second appearance, which you'd expect to be more substantial, he'd be on the back foot. Some fans would be waiting for him to make a mistake. If he comes on and turns the game around people will forget how much of a nothing game it was and build him up to legend status, and his second appearance will be attempting to live up to unrealistic expectations (which I believe is a part of the problem with JFC).

I remember Poyet, when discussing the downside of the 5 man bench, mentioning how beneficial it can be for a young player just to be a part of the match day experience even if he doesn't get to play. Bringing Tilley along for the day will have done a lot more for him than I think people are acknowledging, and getting on the field, albeit for a minute, will have been a big plus for him in his development.

Of course, that's only as a substitute as the game goes along at 0-0. I imagine if we were winning, or losing, he may have had more time, but I don't know if I can offer much of an explanation as to why we didn't start with him.

Does anyone else remember the reckless decision to give Steve Cook a few minutes as the end of the League Cup game against Manchester City approached? That could have ruined the lad's prospects of a career in football.

Whatever happened to Cook btw?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[tweet]594493676216315904[/tweet]

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

and he gets the debut stat on his cv.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Blackpool 0 Huddersfield 0. The driver of the mobility scooter careering over the pitch causing ruts and divots has been offered a job next season as a groundsman.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone else remember the reckless decision to give Steve Cook a few minutes as the end of the League Cup game against Manchester City approached? That could have ruined the lad's prospects of a career in football.

Whatever happened to Cook btw?

He played one game against a team two divisions above, before going on to play two more games for us over the following 3.5 years, was loaned out several times and eventually sold so never had to really deal with the fan expectation.

He went on to develop at another club with the opportunity to grow and develop at a good pace without the expectation the brighton fans would have had. And now he's going to be a premier league player. Worked out well.

Also, something being 'risky' (which is different to 'reckless' as you well know) doesn't mean it never pays off, so even if Cook had stayed and had fan expectation to deal with as he tried to develop into a first team professional, and managed to do that, it doesn't detract from my possible explanation as to why Hughton didn't bring Tilley on today.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lost a lot of respect for Houghton today. Chance to experiment, perhaps try 2 upfront, try out Tilley. What does he do? Same formation, defensive and going for a 0-0. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Feel so sorry for those fans who made the trip.

Anyone who went today must surely have gone for a good day out or a weekend away. It could not have been just for the football surely ? Agree about not bringing that lad on unless it was purely to waste a bit of time so we can get this oh so valuable point. Yes I know , but maybe this is how Hughton thinks about the game. We'll know by October for sure.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
He played one game against a team two divisions above, before going on to play two more games for us over the following 3.5 years, was loaned out several times and eventually sold so never had to really deal with the fan expectation.

He went on to develop at another club with the opportunity to grow and develop at a good pace without the expectation the brighton fans would have had. And now he's going to be a premier league player. Worked out well.

Also, something being 'risky' (which is different to 'reckless' as you well know) doesn't mean it never pays off, so even if Cook had stayed and had fan expectation to deal with as he tried to develop into a first team professional, and managed to do that, it doesn't detract from my possible explanation as to why Hughton didn't bring Tilley on today.

I saw Cook play once, he looked a natural, fantastic prospect. He should have been given a chance. I would never have sold him. You have to be bold, not keep playing the same ageing players. I mean Christ are we really in for another season with Greer.

Stumpy Tim

Following CH team selection today I am expecting Halford and Bennett to be signed in the summer otherwise why play them today.
Not sure we'll keep Bennett, there's just no one else who can play at left-back. On the radio they were saying he was constantly being beaten by the winger. I don't think we'll sign him

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Christian Walton has proven to be our best goalkeeper, he should have a fair chance to be #1 next season. Stockdale's choice of wearing number 13 in itself suggests to me he believes he is a natural second choice!

Also, having read the last 5 pages it has become clear that [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] is an idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here