Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] MIDDLE CLASS THREAD ALERT! EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL! WTF???

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I do absolutely nothing - not sure if the climate is a factor (although I would have thought that Sussex gets more sunshine and warmth than Somerset). But 2022 was the first year we got actual olives, previously just the tiny potential fruit you are getting.

It all depends on what variety of tree your olive(s) are. There are hundreds of varieties throughout the world (think apple trees) and about 150 are cultivated in a form or other. Some trees are for eating olives (like ours) others, smaller fruits, are for pressing for oil. A worrying and very concerning point on a lot of the new high intensity, close planted, bush type, grown for oil is that they take so much water. In the Jaen province that alone has an estimated 6 million olive trees, the old established, many years old trees are being ripped out and replaced this this type depleting the already scarce water supplies even more. There are rumours that some people are so concerned about this development that vigilante parties have been organised to cut down these trees to try to stop the spread of the practise. The water in the aquifers is so low in some parts that it is unfit for human consumption and that tanker water has to be supplied to some villages.

Just been to Aldi.

One litre bottle of extra virgin olive oil that used to be £1.99 not so long ago, now... £5.99!!!

What are the best (and cheaper) alternatives?

I have always thought it is expensive, either way though, I LOVE the stuff, but I am very Mediterranean in what I eat. A simple pasta, olive oil and parma cheese or clams, 😍

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For some things in life, you can expect to pay a supplement.

I don't know what people are getting worked up about :shrug:
My experience of being with virgins is long since past, and not particularly favourable, so I’m not sure I’d pay the supplement.

Nonetheless, I do like to use some virgin olive oil.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
WTF too. Prices have sky rocketed, litre bottles now £13.
Sesame oil which is a good alternative has remaind the same price, now seems great value

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
We have friends who moved from Rotherfield to Provence. They exchanged an allotment in their back garden and being virtually self sufficient in salad and green veg for about 20 olive trees which produced over 300kg of olives, pressed into about 70l of olive oil that they sold to the local co-op for €20 / l. So I can only imagine prices are heading northwards.

EDIT. 17 trees, 400kg of olives and 113l of oil. The locals had been advising them to prune and pick earlier, but they got the best yield. They got a local processor to press and have been selling surplus at €20/l but this is cheap for the quality (& organic). We are the lucky recipients of 5l of this golden nectar.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a soft spot for a good tache myself :thumbsup:
Me too.

IMG_3612.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here