Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] MIDDLE CLASS THREAD ALERT! EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL! WTF???

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Just been to Aldi.

One litre bottle of extra virgin olive oil that used to be £1.99 not so long ago, now... £5.99!!!

What are the best (and cheaper) alternatives?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In Spain they are putting alcohol type security tags on olive oil...

10 euro a litre minimum. I used to get a 5-litre bottle direct from a producer for 15 euro :cry:

It must be changing the way the nation cooks. I've certainly cut back massively.

In Spain at least, climate change is the culprit. Extreme heat and droughts has led to yields being well done. Last year production more than halved, I believe.

Can't see it getting better any time soon. Many regions have had to impose water restrictions on households due to reservoirs drying up.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
There is no real alternative, health food shops might have rapeseed cold mechanically extracted otherwise it is the squashed, bleached, treated shit.

f***ing food company ****s.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
10 euro a litre minimum. I used to get a 5-litre bottle direct from a producer for 15 euro :cry:

It must be changing the way the nation cooks. I've certainly cut back massively.

In Spain at least, climate change is the culprit. Extreme heat and droughts has led to yields being well done. Last year production more than halved, I believe.

Can't see it getting better any time soon. Many regions have had to impose water restrictions on households due to reservoirs drying up.
I was reading a report the other day which said that large swathes of Southern Spain (inland) are now experiencing North African conditions much more frequently with extreme temperatures (summer and winter) and of course a multi-year drought. Some parts will become very hard to live in as the effects of climate change are felt in many areas in Southern Europe.

At least farming can move to adjust, many wild plants and animals don't have that luxury.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I commented just a couple of weeks ago that it had gone up to £4.99
Now another £1.
Thought we'd be crafty and get some decent stuff in Rome but, as mentioned, it was even more in the supermarket we went to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was reading a report the other day which said that large swathes of Southern Spain (inland) are now experiencing North African conditions much more frequently with extreme temperatures (summer and winter) and of course a multi-year drought. Some parts will become very hard to live in as the effects of climate change are felt in many areas in Southern Europe.

At least farming can move to adjust, many wild plants and animals don't have that luxury.
Same in Portugal……

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I am wealthy beyond belief so, no issues for me.

Await smug bastard comment!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Did a bit of a tour last summer………awful to see the dried up rivers and land turning basically to desert.
Once the plants are dead, the top soil will be blown away or washed away in any heavy rain. And once the soils gone, it'll take centuries restore, if ever.

I know Spain and Portugal rely on reservoirs for a lot of their water, a quick google would suggest even these are close to inoperably low levels.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And tins of anchovies into security tagged boxes (Carrefour - Malaga this morning).
Please don't tell me there is an anchovy shortage? I'll have to nip out and raid the shelves for what's left.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Please don't tell me there is an anchovy shortage? I'll have to nip out and raid the shelves for what's left.

Not so much a shortage of anchovies Harry - more the cost of production and canning them in olive oil. A small can (170gm) of quality ones now 8 euros more than double last years price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here