Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mid-table mediocrity.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Before the start of the season there was a thread about what we wished for.
I wanted to be looking up the table from March and not over our shoulders.
Pretty much granted. :albion2:

I just tried to find it and then remembered it was started by Mustafa, and thus has been deleted along with his online account. Shame.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Before the start of the season there was a thread about what we wished for.
I wanted to be looking up the table from March and not over our shoulders.
Pretty much granted. :albion2:
I am overjoyed about this season. If this is the highest we ever get so be it. But hopefully we can push on next year.
It is unlikely we will manage Europe but top 10 is no longer a pipe dream.
I will take many more years of not worrying about relegation and a few big upsets a season.
I do think some people need to be careful what they wish for. Our most successful season ever (81-82) was followed by relegation and then 35 years in the lower leagues.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm looking forward to Fulham next season - not exactly a new ground, but will be pretty impressive with the new stand. Also - it's always a good Awayday. And there are some excellent other Awaydays in the Premier League - Anfield is iconic, Leeds, Palace and Villa Park are old-school, traditional. Spurs is an amazing ground. I love St James' Park, and the buzz of a city centre ground. There have been some great moments this year (admittedly most of them away from home....although one of my faves was Webster's equaliser against Chelsea). The quality of the football is sometimes astonishing. I agree that some kick-off times can be annoying, but the vast majority of games are played at a weekend, whereas in the lower leagues there are countless Tuesday/Wednesday night affairs which can be a bloody pain. I just checked Bournemouth's fixtures this season - 18 non-Saturday matches (40% of their fixtures). We'll have 16 non-Saturday games, which is 42% of our fixtures - virtually no difference.

Yeah Fulham is always a good day out as is Brentford (even if the ground is shit now). I've done Brentford, Liverpool (and whilst I agree it's iconic it's worse than the Amex for noise when playing #teamslikebrighton because the locals flog their tickets to day trippers), Newcastle, Villa and Spurs in the cup this season. All bar the latter Saturday 3pm kick offs when football should be played. I think I'm right in saying we've had 5 Saturday home games at 3pm this season and most of them have been in the last month or so. 5 out of 19 that is shocking! I appreciate kick off times changing isn't exclusive to the premier league especially if you are doing well in the Championship.

But you can count on one hand the good away days in the prem. It's the other way round in the lower leagues.

The only way we can attract good and some real quality players is staying and playing in the Premier league. To the poster above who likes the championship and lower leagues then yes, some maybe prefer that but surely playing against the best players in the world is what most of us want. Having Liverpool City at the Amex is far better than your Barnsley and Ipswich of the world?...we can get better and will get better with Europe being a realistic target in a few years time. Even the Europa league is worth millions more and again will attract better players and bring more revenue to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here