Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microwaves- essential kitchen appliance or waste of worktop space?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I rarely use mine but I can see if you've got kids in and out of the house at all hours they'd be handy. I'm surprised the number of people who use them for "baked" potatoes then crisp in the oven. They never taste half as nice as a full hour in the oven because the starch in the potato bonds in a microwave rather that separates. Hence a spud that's spent any time in the microwave will not be fluffy.
I eat them about twice a week and find an hour isn't that much of a chore. When to do them like this it's worth it, trust me.

Pierce the spud with a knife, once all the way through, a couple of times prick it.
Run under cold water until wet all over, roll in salt, rub on some real butter. Oven for an hour / hour ten.
Remove, before you split it, put a towel over the spud and give it a short, sharp smack with the flat of your hand. Don't smash it, pull your punch as it were, this fluffs them up inside. Then split, add filling and thank me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I use a tower steamer. Spuds in the bottom, veg in the middle, meat on top, use the juicy, nutrient filled water for my gravy. Very quick and the healthiest way to cook by far. You know it, I know it, let's not mess about, microwaves are not good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I use a tower steamer. Spuds in the bottom, veg in the middle, meat on top, use the juicy, nutrient filled water for my gravy. Very quick and the healthiest way to cook by far. You know it, I know it, let's not mess about, microwaves are not good.

My wife does the same the micro is for reheating, defrosting and scrambled eggs for convenience although I rarely have that as I prefer poached the old fashioned way in a saucepan definitely not in the micro..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great - NSC now gets targeted spam...

James Anstruther <james.anstruther4646@gmail.com> 8:37 PM (12 hours ago)

Greetings,Well I would like to know whether you sell Microwaves.Let me know the available sizes/models you have, or a link to look through. Also want to know the types of payment you accept.Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
James Anstruther

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This dish makes a mess you should wrap in paper towel to keep from spreading in microwave.

How do you cook scrambled eggs in a microwave (from experience, I can google it). It seems a lot of palaver to me? And when do you add the cheese?

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Like trying to get a Giraffe into a Microwave

This is bloody complicated. Not for mornings or late at night. Need a precise microwave with a seconds dial. Keep on opening a closing it and the darn catch breaks (from experience).

http://www.wikihow.com/Scramble-Eggs-in-a-Microwave

Microwave are good for some things, but it does not look like scrambled eggs. Someone must have been telling porkies !!! And I was credible enough to believe it ?! Scrambled eggs in a microwave :jester:

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It's a myth though, microwaves are the healthiest way to cook and they also use a lot less energy than anything else.

Doesn't mean I use one much though!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Use a Remowska

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Microwaves are for heating up cold cups of coffee.
Experimental physicists used them this way in labs for about 30 years, then all sat down to bang their heads on the table when one of their number twigged other people might also use the magic heating thingy.
Thing is their best use still is heating up cold coffee.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a myth though, microwaves are the healthiest way to cook and they also use a lot less energy than anything else.

Doesn't mean I use one much though!

It depends what container you're cooking your grub in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here