Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Suface. The Mini Mac Rival?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mac Mini? No - that's a full-powered machine.
iPad Mini? No - smaller, cheaper.
iPad? Maybe, but at the prices announced I can't see why anyone would choose a Surface RT* over an iPad.

(The ones launching next week run Windows 8 RT, which is for ARM powered CPUs, so is not full Windows 8 and will not run full Windows 8 software. The full Windows 8 Intel powered Surface tablets are not being launched yet, but as they are going to be even more expensive than these RT tabs, it's difficult to see who would buy those too.)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Cheers Bozza. An old mate of mine works for Microsoft in Seattle and he has put the video on his Facebook page. i

I posted to my mate that there are quite a lot of technically aware people on here, and that he might just see what people think.

I must admit though I am now an Apple convert, which he refers to as "The Dark Side."

Got mine ordered...can't wait. Although have to admit the smaller size of my Samsung 7.7 is more practical for journeys to footy etc.. (coming from Berkshire much of the journey I have to travel solo) until I hit the pubs in lewes.

Although probably will save me lugging the laptop around on some work journeys which will be great.

Dec 29, 2011
I must admit though I am now an Apple convert, which he refers to as "The Dark Side."

What reason(s) made you convert? Silly amounts of money to burn? Lots of free time you wish to spend getting used to a new layout? I'm intrigued.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Surface RT is the same price as an entry iPad, but with more memory, HD video out, Micro SD, and full size USB. Those Hardware specs seem impressive, not sure how being the same price would not attract people to it, many people don't like Apple. BTW I am typing this on my very lovely iPad, the one without HD video out (unless I buy an adapter), it also doesn't have an SD slot nor a USB port.

I think MS will not be risking arsing this up, and I think it will be a success, sadly Android is likely to be the casualty. Apple fans will continue to buy Apple, Android fans could be curious.

I recall when the iPad came out many said what's the point, it isn't a computer, it isn't a phone, but it has sold millions, I love it. The Surface is sure to expand the tablet market way beyond what it is at the moment, especially with native MS Office compatibility, companies will provide them to staff, I know mine will, whereas they wouldn't with the iPad.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
What reason(s) made you convert? Silly amounts of money to burn? Lots of free time you wish to spend getting used to a new layout? I'm intrigued.

I now have am i Mac. Before this I had a HP desktop, which lasted only 18 months and the motherboard blew, and before that another PC which become slow and antiquated.

My main reasons for ownership is music, photography, and web browsing, and has been for most of my computing life. I have no desire to start programming as people far more mentally agile than myself are far more suited. Also I brought an iPod Classic before this and like the build quality of Apples products.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I now have am i Mac. Before this I had a HP desktop, which lasted only 18 months and the motherboard blew, and before that another PC which become slow and antiquated.

. I have no desire to start programming as people far more mentally agile than myself are far more suited. Also I brought an iPod Classic before this and like the build quality of Apples products.

Much the same reason I use an iMac, excellent spec, top quality, great build quality. I never run OSX on it, none of my SW is available for mac, but that is no issue to me, it runs W7 superbly with no problems at all. I also don't expect to have to bin it any time soon, had it for about 2 years now and shows no sign of slowing up, the screen is tremendous, oh, and it looks lovely. Be nice if it had blu ray inboard, but hey, an external drive won't break the bank.

Dec 29, 2011
I can't stand Macs. I'll admit, for the 1% of people who need it for things such as running Photoshop, Sony Vegas, Multiple tabs and maybe an image rendering software all at once, it's by far the better option. However, for the other 99% of people a simple Windows laptop would suffice. I've had my laptop for 1.5 years and it runs just as smoothly as when I bought it due to the fact I know how to look after it. It cost £500 whereas most macbooks start at about double that price.
IMO most people buy Macs for the 'brand name' to show their "trendy" (in the case of under 25's) or to show they have money (in the case of over 25's). They really have no need for such an expensive machine. End of rant.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can't stand Macs. I'll admit, for the 1% of people who need it for things such as running Photoshop, Sony Vegas, Multiple tabs and maybe an image rendering software all at once, it's by far the better option. However, for the other 99% of people a simple Windows laptop would suffice. I've had my laptop for 1.5 years and it runs just as smoothly as when I bought it due to the fact I know how to look after it. It cost £500 whereas most macbooks start at about double that price.
IMO most people buy Macs for the 'brand name' to show their "trendy" (in the case of under 25's) or to show they have money (in the case of over 25's). They really have no need for such an expensive machine. End of rant.

I looked after my PC. But a motherboard failure was it's undoing.

Like I said, I love what I have now, and the only issue I will have is wether to go for MS Office, or Apples version, as the university scan your document for plagiarism.

Dec 29, 2011

Like I said, I love what I have now, and the only issue I will have is wether to go for MS Office, or Apples version, as the university scan your document for plagiarism.

Are you at uni? Did you know Mac did a 15% student discount on all Macs?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I really want this... To be honest, I've never massively liked the iPads either so wouldn't even consider one. Much like the Apple cult woud never consider a non Apple product.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really want this... To be honest, I've never massively liked the iPads either so wouldn't even consider one. Much like the Apple cult woud never consider a non Apple product.

What an odd way to view it? You're happy to see yourself as anti-cult, therefore just as bad ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

There are some really good licensed and legally free Office products you could consider. I use OpenOffice, but also occasionally LibreOffice. Both are excellent alternatives to the MS and Apple products, and as said are legally free for download.

http://www.openoffice.org

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn't it wonderful that we have choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here