Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micky ...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
His second coming was an absolute disaster from day one, but ready to pretend that never happened.

I agree for the most part, but let's not forget that night against Man City (three days after losing to the nine men of Walsall, admittedly).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree for the most part, but let's not forget that night against Man City (three days after losing to the nine men of Walsall, admittedly).

Brilliantly, I was there for Walsall, and away for work, for Man City...

yay.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn't like his chip on the shoulder attitude but he did a very good job first time around and would certainly get a warm round of applause from me if I was going, even though he was a fricking disaster 2nd time around.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Gave him (and BB) a massive bear hug when I bumped into them in a club in salubrious Market Harborough. It remains my only skin-on-skin contact with any Brighton management team and one of my proudest moments. Big clap.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Top man, top manager - up there among Albion's best, did superbly for us first time round.

Obviously didn't work out when he returned... EXCEPT for the League Cup win over Man City, surely one of the greatest results in the club's recent history.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting comments from Micky in The Argus today. He rejected an invite to the opening of The Amex because he thought not inviting his wife and kids was "disrespectful".

I'm not sure about that.
Quite. Adams did a decent job first time round with a big budget - basically buying players who had recently been promoted to form the core of his team. He also did the decent thing about publicly supporting the Albion fans campaign for Falmer. Neither of those "achievements" makes him anything like a legend in my book.

He has subsequently been confirmed as only a mediocre lower league manager. I have him down as a bit thick, quite arrogant and a lot Northern. Apologies to his admirers.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Interesting comments from Micky in The Argus today. He rejected an invite to the opening of The Amex because he thought not inviting his wife and kids was "disrespectful".

I'm not sure about that. I love Micky, he is without question my favourite Albion manager, but I don't think a free meal for his family should have been his first thought in that case. Surely meeting up with many of his old players/friends and being part of a big day for a club at which he is an important figure in recent history and enjoying a warm welcome from the fans would have been enough to justify three hours in the car on his own on a Saturday morning.

yeah I thought that. It wasnt as if seats were at a premium for that game was it?!

'Sorry (insert name of local dignitory/current director/current players family) we havent got seats for as Micky wanted to bring all his family with him'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I'm not sure about that. I love Micky, he is without question my favourite Albion manager, but I don't think a free meal for his family should have been his first thought in that case. Surely meeting up with many of his old players/friends and being part of a big day for a club at which he is an important figure in recent history and enjoying a warm welcome from the fans would have been enough to justify three hours in the car on his own on a Saturday morning.

I think it has a lot more to do with Micky being Dick's man than Tony Bloom's. His appointment was the first sign that Dick was losing it and his sacking was the first sign that Dick was losing control of the club to Bloom.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mickey is a legend at our club, he should be given a massive cheer from our fans but once the whislte blows for the start of the game he is our enemy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

She could have travelled down, and gone SHOPPING.

F'cks sake Micky. Its not HARD.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes,to the man who took a struggling team to promotion and left a basis of a team to get promoted next season...to the man who when he left us,at Leicester who had just beaten us the first thing he did he came over to the fans of Albion and applauded them from pitchside...to the man who turned up at our political rallies on the seafront...sad that he returned and lost the support...but some of us are still grateful to him.

Well said sir.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Exactly. I didn't go to that Spurs game, but I seem to recall there being quite a few ex-players and managers presented to the crowd before kick-off. If every one of them brought three or four family members with them it would have been a lot of seats taken and free meals dished out. He should have come, and using the family excuse seems to be a way of covering up the fact he obviously dislikes certain people at the Albion.

The second time I think I let my heart rule my head. I should have turned it down. I wasn't aware of certain things that were happening. And if I had known the full facts I wouldn't have come back."

Agreeing to come back as Dick's choice but later finding he was effectively working for Tony is definitely a logical explanation to this quote.

Indeed, it clearly was exactly what happened. But that is just the way it was.

Impossible not to love Micky Adams, he was brilliant for us at a time when it was and he is a good honest guy which I respect.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it has a lot more to do with Micky being Dick's man than Tony Bloom's. His appointment was the first sign that Dick was losing it and his sacking was the first sign that Dick was losing control of the club to Bloom.

We were well & truly in the relegation mire, which Slade had to dig us out of. We had also lost out to Luton over two dreadful legs to go to Wembley. I think any chairman would have sacked him, although I think the official line was by mutual agreement at the time.

I'm quite happy to applaud him for his first stint at the club and his support at the conference marches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here