Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick McCarthy on Brighton

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
All the comments i've seen today from both McCarthy and ITFC fans have been fair and generous. Hope we're capable of the same when we get a beating.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I can still remember many years ago seeing him as a pundit on MOTD or whatever, not actually knowing who he was, and being immediately impressed. Never had any reason to change my mind. Refreshingly honest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I took to him in the World Cup when he didn't take any nonsense from Roy Keen. Got balls has Mac. I do hope they get promoted, as long as it's not at our expense of course.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I took to him in the World Cup when he didn't take any nonsense from Roy Keen. Got balls has Mac. I do hope they get promoted, as long as it's not at our expense of course.

McCarthy became manager of Ireland way too early (his only managerial experience was Millwall) and Keane's criticisms of the Irish build-up in 2002 World Cup were (proven by a later investigation by the FAI) spot on. McCarthy made major mistakes during the World Cup from not dealing properly with Keane to completely f*cking up in the last 16 loss against Spain. McCarthy is ten times a better manager than he was in 2002 and the shambles of the Irish teams build up in Japan would never have happened if the McCarthy of 2015 had been managing the team.

And McCarthy does tell it like it is - always honest in his comments. It is not surprising - Hughton played in the same Irish team - a team noted for playing the game with honesty and guts (and a decent bit of talent as well) and every player on that team was noted for always being open and honest in the words they spoke.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He always comes across as slightly miffed that he is having to talk to journalists in interviews, but that's the same if he wins, and perfectly understandable. Like him a lot and he has had TC by his side for a lot of years now, a hero of mine and I am sure many on here.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I was fortunate to be sat next to him on a flight back from USA 1994 world cup. Was chatty and really likeable guy.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Much like Neil Warnock, the Championship is his level. He can assemble a group of players on a comparative shoestring, get them organised and get them running through brick walls for him. He did that at Wolves and he is now doing it even more so at Ipswich where he has built a very strong team with not all that much money. His trouble comes in the top flight where you need a bit more than just hard working triers with bucketloads of commitment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nice one MIck. Great interview...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here