MICK LYNCH

• Player

Votes: 119 74.8%
  • Player Hater

Votes: 40 25.2%

• Total voters

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
These people have had a decade of real term decline in pay, they've largely got on with it with relatively little industrial action and worsening conditions year on year.

Whilst a lot of these people enter such professions because they believe in public service, but there are limits. Many have simply had enough of being treated as mugs while the government continue to reward their mates.[/QU

Don't think many of the 40k plus people are choosing there position because of belief in public services but because they want a job.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
said it before and I'll say it again

When times get tough, the rich will defend their wealth and income at the expense of workers as far as they can

The only way for workers to counter the power of capital is to organize and act in solidarity.

Now is a good time to join a Union

In my experience, union leaders are not always likeable or easy to work with, but I admire them. Unlike most (not all) of the super-wealthly they got where they are on their own merits. Nobody got them a job in Daddy's firm, they didn't inherit wealth and they didn't develop their social networks at Eton.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

When times get tough, the rich will defend their wealth and income at the expense of workers as far as they can

The only way for workers to counter the power of capital is to organize and act in solidarity.

In my experience, union leaders are not always likeable or easy to work with, but I admire them. Unlike most (not all) of the super-wealthly they got where they are on their own merits. Nobody got them a job in Daddy's firm, they didn't inherit wealth and they didn't develop their social networks at Eton.

My first job, first day in the office I was called in to sign up for the union, which I happily did. Some bloke called Ivor Caplin in the chair opposite me, wonder what happened to him?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its funny how this gets dragged into some form of class war. the employer is a nationalised organisation and a group of outsourcing business being paid couple % margin. this isnt a struggle between worker and capitalist. the capitalists only stake here is using the train, swapping to car or work from home when theres a strike, while other workers navigate how to get to work without the train.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
It really is not hard to come over as the good guy when you are trying to get 40k plus people a pay rise. What happens if following this we have teachers,fire service in fact all public services wanting more money when economy is on its knees.

The problem here is that all of these people have been due a payrise for quite some time, and now there is a cost of living crisis it's pushed them past the point of just sucking it up because they like their job.

The Government are trying to blame these people for damaging the economy, yet it is the government who have denied these people decent payrises for so long, and it is the government who are doing so little to tackle rising costs.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

My major High Street company has zero union members that I know of. There is no encouragement to join a Union and I think they get away with it because most young people that they employ on Minimum Wage have virtually no concept of the idea.

That's why the owners live comfortably in Guernsey and make the top 150 in the Sunday Times Rich List.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He comes over as an articulate, intelligent and quick witted hard nosed union leader, which he is.
That doesn’t mean to say the stance the RMT is taking is justified though.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I can't imagine My Lynch would struggle to give a straight answer to such a simple question as is being offered here :lolol:

We have a thread about the Mike Lynch, the RMT and the train strikes and someone manages to shoehorn in a post about trans women. :mad:

There is clearly an obsession around certain societal ‘issues’ BLM, trans rights, immigration, woke people etc. on both sides of those arguments. I find it bizarre, I expect in 100 years or whatever it will makes bit more sense….

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Mike Lynch was on Peston last night.

Lynch...You insist the fares go up by RPI ripping off the commuters but you won't give the workers RPI

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1539718403216363520

Its little surprise the venture capitalists are circling Go Ahead and Stagecoach for takeovers

Anyway, he's is on BBC QT tonight. Can't help that the government ain't putting any heavyweight ministers up for the fight.

Love to put Lynch and Johnson together in a room,,,

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He wants to cause as much disruption as possible whilst making unreasonable demands. He speaks like a man who has no interest in considering the full picture and has no care for the consequences of demanding an excessive payrise for the members. Inevitably the company will need to raise prices even more than they already have, to throw more dirt in the eye of commuters and consumers generally and eventually they will, of course, downsize their workforce because it's too expensive as a result of the payrises. And then Lynch will re-emerge to fight again, because that's what he does and he knows he needs to ensure plenty of fights for the future to keep himself relevant and on TV.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm not a 'Union Man' and never have been, but I think this guy is very calm and level headed - and is calling out the shit-show of self serving greedy fat cats at the top of the rail networks. I've been a Conservative all my life and have never agreed with people like Mick Lynch, but on this occasion I genuinely think he has a point.

The people at the top of these shambolic networks took government money to bail them out, then took massive bonuses and pay packets as recompense for a bad job badly done. All I'm seeing is the people at the bottom of the pile, on or around minimum wage, being vilified.

As for him making himself relevant and on TV, ummm... is there a better way to get your point across, or would you recommend he runs away from the media? :shrug:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's just inevitable isn't it - the government has been able to ride out the most recent lies, corruption, deception and deflection, so another couple of years, with a few sweetners thrown in just before election time should see them home again, as people forget their past misdemeanours.

Granted I doubt they will get such a large majority, but enough to still slowly turn us into a sub Fascist state, with the minions kowtowing to their masters for fear of reprisals!

That either says a lot about the weakness of the opposition or the mentality of the electorate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting, how being literate is brought up as a criticism of someone doing a good job. Especially when we have a bunch of highly educated, literate chancers in power slowly taking apart the country.

Maybe we should be paying more attention to what people are saying rather than how they're saying it?

Think it’s ‘expensively’ not ‘highly’

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm not a 'Union Man' and never have been, but I think this guy is very calm and level headed - and is calling out the shit-show of self serving greedy fat cats at the top of the rail networks. I've been a Conservative all my life and have never agreed with people like Mick Lynch, but on this occasion I genuinely think he has a point.

The people at the top of these shambolic networks took government money to bail them out, then took massive bonuses and pay packets as recompense for a bad job badly done. All I'm seeing is the people at the bottom of the pile, on or around minimum wage, being vilified.

As for him making himself relevant and on TV, ummm... is there a better way to get your point across, or would you recommend he runs away from the media? :shrug:

He has to justify his £80k per year salary somehow. Would he be worth such a pay packet if he didn't lead any strike action or had no presence on TV? Probably not. So this strike serves him very nicely.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He wants to cause as much disruption as possible whilst making unreasonable demands. He speaks like a man who has no interest in considering the full picture and has no care for the consequences of demanding an excessive payrise for the members. Inevitably the company will need to raise prices even more than they already have, to throw more dirt in the eye of commuters and consumers generally and eventually they will, of course, downsize their workforce because it's too expensive as a result of the payrises. And then Lynch will re-emerge to fight again, because that's what he does and he knows he needs to ensure plenty of fights for the future to keep himself relevant and on TV.

Which demands are unreasonable?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here