Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Micheal Gove and Boris Johnson.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Genuinely curious: for those who agree with the Michael Gove piece above, do you also agree with the following, and if so do you support a fully decentralised government?

But our membership of the United Kingdom prevents us being able to change huge swathes of law and stops us being able to choose who makes critical decisions which affect all our lives. Laws which govern citizens in this county are decided by politicians from other counties who we never elected and can’t throw out. We can take out our anger on elected representatives in the town hall but whoever is in Government in Brighton cannot remove or reduce VAT, cannot support a steel plant through troubled times, cannot build the houses we need where they’re needed and cannot deport all the individuals who shouldn’t be in this county. I believe that needs to change. And I believe that both the lessons of our past and the shape of the future make the case for change compelling.

larus

That's all well and good but I don't see him doing anything to change the fact that the majority of people in this country are living under a government they didn't elect. The UK electoral system in this country suits him but the EU one doesn't.

Yes, as they were under Labour, when, due to the biased boundaries, Labour need less percentage of the national vote to get a majority.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes, as they were under Labour, when, due to the biased boundaries, Labour need less percentage of the national vote to get a majority.
That's right. Labour's last election victory gave them even less than that achieved by the Tory's under David Cameron. Was Drew complaining then?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't like the system irrespective of who gets in and voted so in the referendum for change although the options weren't the best solution.
Fair enough. The system is outdated, I believe we need some sort of pr but that is a discussion for another day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here