Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michał Karbownik

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
An odd decision to cut short his loan last year no?

He was our player and there must have been concern at the limited cover we had at wing-back (both sides).

When Potter and his was able to work with him very closely everyday, they clearly saw that he is not quite 1st team ready. Worth the gamble but on this occasion, it didn’t pay off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
An odd decision to cut short his loan last year no?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Polish league is really bad. I'm not surprised he was brought over to England. Partly to be assessed in training and partly to adapt to English football.

Think he might go on a loan somewhere this season, but I can definitely see why they didnt want him to stay in Poland. The Ekstraklasa is League Two level, at best.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He was our player and there must have been concern at the limited cover we had at wing-back (both sides).

When Potter and his was able to work with him very closely everyday, they clearly saw that he is not quite 1st team ready. Worth the gamble but on this occasion, it didn’t pay off.
Yeah, you're probably right. Easy to say with hindsight but i guess at that point there was a genuine risk we might go down so made sense to get as many players in as possible. He might have been up to the challenge like Moder but obviously wasn't deemed to be there yet

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Didn’t he and Moder only return to training a week ago and so weren’t ready for this game? Or was it Only Moder that came back last week?

Not sure why Karbownik would only return to training a week ago? I think it was only Moder, as he played in the Euros (Karbo wasn't in the Poilsh squad).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Karbo made the bench on Saturday.

This guy is certainly a wing back or even full back. A right footer who has only played on the right at the Albion. Sadly, Potter would prefer to play Groß at left back than put this lad on the pitch.

I can’t understand what he is doing on the bench if he is not trusted to play an EPL fixture?

I’d prefer to loan him out if he is not to be trusted. On paper, he is a great back-up to Lamptey, such a shame that he is not quite at the level we need, especially with Lamptey’s injury woes. Southampton got the man we need for that back-up role.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree that Karbownik that as a full back who has had one very good game for us against Leicester has seen White, Veltman, Gross and Alzate play RB and Burn, March Webster and Gross at LB

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

This guy is certainly a wing back or even full back. A right footer who has only played on the right at the Albion. Sadly, Potter would prefer to play Groß at left back than put this lad on the pitch.

I can’t understand what he is doing on the bench if he is not trusted to play an EPL fixture?

I’d prefer to loan him out if he is not to be trusted. On paper, he is a great back-up to Lamptey, such a shame that he is not quite at the level we need, especially with Lamptey’s injury woes. Southampton got the man we need for that back-up role.

He is 20 and played little more than one season in one of the worst leagues in Europe. I would be very surprised and very impressed if he gets anywhere near the starting eleven. From what I've seen in the U23s and the game against Luton (I missed the Leicester game unfortunately), he looks quite a bit from the required level. Yes, he made the bench but it doesnt say all that much when three out of four full/wingbacks are out.

Whether a loan or staying would be the best option for him... I trust the club to make the right decision. There is advantages to both solutions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He is 20 and played little more than one season in one of the worst leagues in Europe. I would be very surprised and very impressed if he gets anywhere near the starting eleven. From what I've seen in the U23s and the game against Luton (I missed the Leicester game unfortunately), he looks quite a bit from the required level. Yes, he made the bench but it doesnt say all that much when three out of four full/wingbacks are out.

Whether a loan or staying would be the best option for him... I trust the club to make the right decision. There is advantages to both solutions.

But he WAS on loan. Loaned back to Legia as part of the deal to sign him and then recalled.

I can understand that as a young player he can flit between the U23s and first team squad which we might find useful, but in reality we really should only have recalled Moder. Then we could have had a look at Karbo in pre-season and immediately loaned him on to a better quality league if he really is that far behind.

The bloke has played a full international and got an assist in a 5-1 Polish win. Meanwhile, we're playing Gross as a left back. You have to admit that's slightly odd.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m really not clear on the advantages of him being perma-benched. Potter might be eyeing him for the Caribou Cup but I get the impression he is more likely to play Steele at full/wing back than Karbo.

It appears that his weaknesses are decision making and physicality. Surely a loan to the Championship for a season or two is the best bet? A 22yr old toughened, experienced and savvy Karbo at wing-back would be great, he needs games not bench warming with no prospect of playing.

https://youtu.be/o7XfwNUvBRE

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It looks like his physical development is a bit behind Jakub Moder's.
Karbownik still looks a bit lightweight.

Bringing the two Polish lads over together probably helped them settle in to the club and area more easily in what has been a difficult time in society during the pandemic.
Caceido and Mac Allister must also have found it very tough.
Bringing Karbownik over and not giving him as much game time as we would expect is not a failure, in the long term it could be seen as very beneficial.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But he WAS on loan. Loaned back to Legia as part of the deal to sign him and then recalled.

I can understand that as a young player he can flit between the U23s and first team squad which we might find useful, but in reality we really should only have recalled Moder. Then we could have had a look at Karbo in pre-season and immediately loaned him on to a better quality league if he really is that far behind.

The bloke has played a full international and got an assist in a 5-1 Polish win. Meanwhile, we're playing Gross as a left back. You have to admit that's slightly odd.

Sure, he was on loan (playing as a central midfielder) and perhaps he should have stayed there but at the same time... the quality of the Ekstraklasa is so poor. What would improve your tennis game the most, a game against Stephen Hawking or a practice with Roger Federer?

No, I dont think its odd at all. We've been over this but I really dont give a shit about the Poland national team. They've used 50+ players over the last 2 years and with 15-20 exceptions most of them wouldnt get anywhere near playing in the Premier League.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m really not clear on the advantages of him being perma-benched. Potter might be eyeing him for the Caribou Cup but I get the impression he is more likely to play Steele at full/wing back than Karbo.

It appears that his weaknesses are decision making and physicality. Surely a loan to the Championship for a season or two is the best bet? A 22yr old toughened, experienced and savvy Karbo at wing-back would be great, he needs games not bench warming with no prospect of playing.

https://youtu.be/o7XfwNUvBRE

The advantages is that the coaches could develop him in top level facilities working with him on a daily basis.

That said, there are obvious advantages with loaning him to a Championship team as well - if he can get into a starting lineup, that is. Just ask Jayson Molumby or numerous other players - the Championship is good and you cant take for granted that anyone you loan out will get game time. And in that case its preferable to keep him.

We'll see what happens, could go either way.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Not sure Tino was prepared to leave Chelsea to just be a support player for another youngster at a "lesser" club. Assume he chose Saints because he would be starting?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Disagree with just about all of this.
It tends to be the case, especially with defenders, that the better players start, and the lesser players are on the bench, and those that are rated even lower don't make the 18.
He's only played once for the first team, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
He might just have made the bench because Lamptey, Veltman and Burn, our other full/wing back candidates were all injured or unavailable. Ditto because we are still yet to sign a wing/full back, so he was on the bench to cover those absences. Once those players are available, we may well see him go out on loan.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think we paid around 1m for Karbownik, which sadly is nothing today for a premier league player. He has looked quite decent at U23 level, if not outstanding, but I also think he has been awful pre-season, particularly his ball retention. If you look at the level we are playing at now and the level we aspire to, players and fans are going to have to get use to high expectations. Molumby hasn't become a bad player overnight, but he is stuck in a rut now, as he was probably too cautious in his approach to pre-season games last year and wasn't able to demonstrate his talent. It doesn't make either of them bad players or bad business for the club, it just means they MAY need to look elsewhere to progress on loan or permanently.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He looks nowhere near the first team to me. Not as a full back and absolutely not as a midfielder either. Pretty sure once we have a few players back, or we sign a few (god forbid) he will be with the U23s or possibly on loan. Looks way off at the moment to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sure, he was on loan (playing as a central midfielder) and perhaps he should have stayed there but at the same time... the quality of the Ekstraklasa is so poor. What would improve your tennis game the most, a game against Stephen Hawking or a practice with Roger Federer?

No, I dont think its odd at all. We've been over this but I really dont give a shit about the Poland national team. They've used 50+ players over the last 2 years and with 15-20 exceptions most of them wouldnt get anywhere near playing in the Premier League.

While I agree with what you're saying about Karbownik, playing Gross at LB was ODD. So odd that GP correctly changed things at half-time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here