Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Michael Parkinson RIP

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He was the best we had, and the best we had by some distance. The art of the chat show, like the art of radio as a public service, has been lost. Michael Parkinson was able to bridge the balance of entertainment and informative engagement as the times changed. Harty failed, Wogan failed, Parkinson nearly always succeeded. He loved cricket too, which meant I was biased anyway.

RIP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other thing about Parky is that he was a fine sports journalist. He had a column in the Sunday Times in the 60s that was a must-read. His tales of Barnsley footballer Skinner Normanton were legendary. He was also a fine cricketer: good enough to keep Sir Geoffrey out of his club team.

I wish they could publish a selection of his Sunday Times articles - they'd be a good read

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Met him and his wife at Maidenhead and Bray CC in the 80's, Horsham CC used to play a friendly against them on a Sunday each year. Incidentally the Horsham team that included Graham Roope RIP, Tim May and Tony Dodemaide, one ex England Test player and two future Aussie Test Players.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sometimes things didn't go as planned

RIP Parko

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He did actually say "I'll probably be remembered for that bloody bird"
He wasn't that far wrong to be honest. RIP obviously, but the success of Parky always seemed to me to be mainly down to the paucity of mainstream channels at the time, and his primetime slot on the country's default channel coupled with the drawing power / entertainment value of his guests

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Don't think you'll get the chance. You know what RIP stands for?
Yes, thank you. I meant others that you sometimes think ‘got other things on right now, maybe next time’. Having seen the Foos many times, I passed on seeing them near here just before Taylor Hawkins died. No more.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The GOAT?
Without doubt, his interviews with Muhammad Ali are the stuff of TV legend.

It will be quite ironic that the Beeb will be gushing about him for the next few days when by his own admission he was effectively forced to go to ITV by a changing management structure and vision (or lack of it) at the Corporation. 🤷‍♂️

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He wasn't that far wrong to be honest. RIP obviously, but the success of Parky always seemed to me to be mainly down to the paucity of mainstream channels at the time, and his primetime slot on the country's default channel coupled with the drawing power / entertainment value of his guests
He had an amazing talent of knowing when to speak and when to sit back.
Unlike some.
Just watched the end of the BBC tribute.
Sang with Bing Crosby what a life he had.
In tears talking about a memorable guest talking about the holocaust.
Can't see any modern day chat show in the same league. Just promoting their new book ,film or series.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Those interviews back in the 70's are the genuine article real people who have real stories to tell. Sad news.
His weapons grade dark art was his persona and ability to get people into a naturally relaxed state, so they could talk, as if they with friends and family in a comfort zone, as it were . . . No mean feat.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Had my mum's funeral today which brought a number of memories back of growing up in the 1970s.

I've worked my entire career in the TV industry and nothing compares to him and those heavy weight interviews in the 1907s.

.. and of course we were allowed to stay up and watch them.

Just got back to London and re-watching that retrospective was a nice bookend to an emotional day.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lovers of the great game will enjoy this

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Had my mum's funeral today which brought a number of memories back of growing up in the 1970s.

I've worked my entire career in the TV industry and nothing compares to him and those heavy weight interviews in the 1907s.

.. and of course we were allowed to stay up and watch them.

Just got back to London and re-watching that retrospective was a nice bookend to an emotional day.
Sorry to read of your loss. Take care of yourself.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Blimey. Tearing up here. A very emotional Dickie Bird just interviewed on BBC breakfast. 🥲

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He had an amazing talent of knowing when to speak and when to sit back.
Unlike some.
Just watched the end of the BBC tribute.
Sang with Bing Crosby what a life he had.
In tears talking about a memorable guest talking about the holocaust.
Can't see any modern day chat show in the same league. Just promoting their new book ,film or series.
That was Dr Jacob Bronowski. I met him once in the early seventies as he was a friend of my step-mother's. I had no clue who he was (I think it was before 'Ascent of Man' was broadcast), but I remember my step-mother had a lunch party which he attended. (I think it was given in his honour because I think he was living in America and was just visiting the UK. Could be wrong). There were about twelve of us and we all sat in almost total silence listening to him talk, I was only about 13/14 but it was spellbinding.

Although obviously this is only a remote and extremely tenuous connection I was irrationally proud when Parkinson said it was the interview of which he was most proud and still reduced him to tears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here