Sussex
Yes - pioneer and miles ahead of the current crop

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A class act. RIP Parky.

Missed the chance for ‘An Audience with’ etc etc about 18 months ago, I hope I do not make that mistake again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the days when there were only three, later four channels and no 'on demand' or pausing of live telly, certain superstars seemed to live in your front room with you. Wogan was one, "Parky" another. Equally great and iconic in my mind. Dave Allen and Clive James were my family's other favourites. All four sadly no longer with us now :down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
His one on one interview with Peter Sellers is probably my number one interview that he done. Sellers really didn't like talking about his private life but Parky made him feel so at ease, that he relaxed and talked more open than would have done with anyone else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A truly gifted interviewer who made interviewing an art form. 88's a decent innings though - RIP Sir Michael.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In the days when there were only three, later four channels and no 'on demand' or pausing of live telly, certain superstars seemed to live in your front room with you. Wogan was one, "Parky" another. Equally great and iconic in my mind. Dave Allen and Clive James were my family's other favourites. All four sadly no longer with us now :down:
Indeed. Growing up in the Seventies I often used to babysit my younger brothers and sisters whilst my mum and step-dad went out on a Saturday night. I'd watch shit variety shows, MoTD, then they'd be back, normally just as 'Parkinson' was starting. They'd always bring a Chinese takeaway home with them, and sharing that would be my payment for babysitting. To this day I can never hear that Harry Stoneham 'Parkinson' theme tune without getting an overwhelming desire to go and get a Chinese meal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
TV fixture when I was growing up…….no other interviewer comes remotely close imo, particularly in the current crop. RIP.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
RIP Parky
I can spend hours watching clips from his programmes over the years on youtube

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
RIP to a true TV legend. Aside from the chat show, I get the theme tune to 'Give Us A Clue' in my head at regular intervals.

Peter Kay got his first big break being the warm-up guy for Parky. Naturally had a lot of good things to say about him and I reckon the feeling was mutual.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Parkinson never tried to be the star of the show. He knew that viewers wanted to hear the guest speak first and foremost while he sat back and just facilitated. Not like Norton, Ross, Corden etc who insist on being the stars of their own shows. Not saying the result was better or worse, it’s just a reflection of changing celebrity culture and trends. But any younger guys out there might be interested in checking out Parky — I presume he’s on YouTube.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here