Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Michael Owen and Newcastle.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As is every other English born footballer then apart from, Banks, Wilson, Cohen, Charlton J, Stiles, Moore, Charlton B, Ball, Peters, Hurst and Hunt.

Crikey, you have high standards

I did say it was twisted :) But yeah, I'm not taking sides in this as I don't give a shit what either won at club level as they both let me down when it counted.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I was responding to this

''I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team''

I think the fact Newcastle paid him well probably helped, but I don't doubt for a second Shearer could have gone to a club challenging for honours home or abroad and they would have offered him more money. Maybe it is easy to be loyal when someone's paying you silly money. But that said very few players have done what he did, which makes me think it was more than just the money and winning trophies. I think he loved playing for the team he supported, which is admirable in my opinion.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the same not sure why anyone would knock him for that. I guess this does mean something to some players. For this reason I can see why he’s got the hump with Owen.

If you read my post I don't think I ''knocked him for doing it'' - All I stated was that he was well remunerated for it

Contrast that with lets say Jamie Murphy leaving Motherwell - Jamie actually cried on the night when he had to leave Motherwell to go to Sheffield United. Even though he would be getting paid a lot more. Motherwell were in Financial Difficulties and had to take the money on offer. They had even accepted an offer the previous year from Blackpool but Jamie asked to stay for another year, which Motherwell agreed to but they just couldn't afford to turn down a second offer and Jamie understood that.

That's more loyal than say Shearer - Its easy to be loyal when you know you will get paid around £150K per week

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So what have we learned?

1. Michael Owen is boring and has no other secrets or perspectives to tell.

2. Newcastle is a stupid club and has been for a very long time.

Move along

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the fact Newcastle paid him well probably helped, but I don't doubt for a second Shearer could have gone to a club challenging for honours home or abroad and they would have offered him more money. Maybe it is easy to be loyal when someone's paying you silly money. But that said very few players have done what he did, which makes me think it was more than just the money and winning trophies. I think he loved playing for the team he supported, which is admirable in my opinion.

I have no doubts that he did love playing for Newcastle but as I say in the post above '' I doubt he would have been so ''Admirable'' had his Boyhood club been someone like Darlington

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no doubts that he did love playing for Newcastle but as I say in the post above '' I doubt he would have been so ''Admirable'' had his Boyhood club been someone like Darlington

Now you’re being silly :smile:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats a bit churlish. He was hardly going to drop down the leagues in the prime of his career to play for a noddy club and get paid in Luncheon Vouchers was he.

The point stands that he'd have had an opportunity to play for any of the gilded giants of Europe at that time, but instead chose the serial failure basketcase club Newcastle United. Would he have gone there if they weren't in the PL ? Perhaps not, but he certainly would've had better options on the table than Nuke Us All.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Now you’re being silly :smile:

I don't think I am - I have clearly pointed out that I never ''knocked'' Alan Shearer for his Loyalty to Newcastle - You are now moving on to a different post of mine which I did not link to my response to yourself

One of my posts was in reference to ''Loyalty'' and the other was about how ''Admirable'' Shearer is or was

I think he is incredibly '' Loyal '' when it comes to his relationship with Newcastle

Do I '' Admire '' the fact that he was '' Loyal '' to them - Probably less so because he was well remunerated for that loyalty. That is all I was trying to get across

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
In a time when we continually say that loyalty is dead, and that we understand how players put their careers first. I think Shearer was incredibly admirable, as he was a player who could have walked into any team in the world, yet decided he wanted to play for his hometown team. People can say he didn't win anything but Shearer played his career his way for the team he wanted to and secured hero status among the fans, whom he was one of. I wonder how many of our fans would criticise Shearer for not winning much but think Dunk is hero for staying with us?

Nonsense.

Shearer loved being a big fish at Newcastle. It got to the point where when he was dropped, the position of the manager was questioned. Anyone running the club was put in an impossible position of managing a player who was so blindly worshipped by the fans that he could do no wrong. It damaged the club badly - how many managers did he play under? Shearer was there 13 years, won absolutely nothing and he finished up getting them relegated as manager.

I think there was utter disbelief when Shearer couldn’t keep them up - it was as if the fans realised he wasn’t the Messiah.

Course I want Dunk to stay, but he isn’t bigger than the club. Shearer definitely was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
After Liverpool Owen chased money, not much else. Bad choices or bad advice. Seems quite bitter now. Shame as was so exciting when 1st in England team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here