Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael McIntyre - Live at The Old Market - 8 October 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
At least it's a small venue in which to be "spoonfed his warm diarrhea." (Stewart Lee's words...)

Actually, a lot of my problem with him revolves around seeing ANY comedian in an enormodome like the O2, I just don't see the point. I'd imagine MM will be excellent in a small venue.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Indeed but I think it's mainly jealousy. He's made millions out of making people laugh without degrading himself to offending people to gain laughs ( unlike some of the comics that use twitter to "joke" to the world ) and his shows sell out very very quickly. At least he shows a skill - those that throw vitriolic insults at him I would guess are normally sat behind a desk dreaming of their next pay packet !

I'll attempt to explain, McIntyre is the Coldplay of the comedy world. He's pleasant enough, dare I say funny at times but his observational style of comedy lacks imagination. This is fine if you are the kind of person who dips their toe into the comedy world every now and then but to the type of individual who goes to see a comedian once a month/ once a week, you've seen it all before. The resentment comes, I'd imagine because people feel that there are comics more deserving of success (by dint of their originality.)

I guess it depends on what you value more, artisitic credibility or mass market appeal. It's remarkably difficult to have both.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll attempt to explain, McIntyre is the Coldplay of the comedy world. He's pleasant enough, dare I say funny at times but his observational style of comedy lacks imagination. This is fine if you are the kind of person who dips their toe into the comedy world every now and then but to the type of individual who goes to see a comedian once a month/ once a week, you've seen it all before. The resentment comes, I'd imagine because people feel that there are comics more deserving of success (by dint of their originality.)

I guess it depends on what you value more, artisitic credibility or mass market appeal. It's remarkably difficult to have both.

I have seen some pretty patronising posts on NSC over the years and this one is right up there with the best of them :thumbsup:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

That's a load of rubbish. McIntyre does what he does, some people find it funny, some people don't, that is the way of the world and fair enough. It's one thing to make assumptions about the comedian, it's another to make them about people who find them funny. Utter nonsense.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He makes me laugh when I see him on telly but wouldn't pay to see him.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He makes me laugh when I see him on telly but wouldn't pay to see him.

I used to say that about Mickey Flanagan but went to see him earlier this year at the Brighton Centre and he was fantastic.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't really go to watch comedy mainly because I find most comedians have a limited repertoire of very funny stuff. For example I love Sean Lock and Jon Richardson when I see them coming out with unscripted comments on tv shows and documentaries they have done but having seen their full stand up shows I would say about a third of it makes me laugh at best. There is something different about seeing comedians live though, they seem to be funnier when you have the communal laughter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A quick thank you to Brighton Bluenose for the heads up on this - fantastic evening :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Just about sums it up I think. Coldplay fans may of course find this patronising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here