Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Gove and the teachers

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I think even Cameron has the sense to realise that the crap spouted by Gove is making his shambles of a government look even more incompetent than it already is, as well as destroying the lives of our children. Gove will be "removed " soon , I hope. His policies are based on outdated facts-facts-facts style teaching methods, the type he doubtless encountered as a child and therefore, in his sad, narrow-minded little world, they must be right. I will continue to teach children how to think for themselves, something Gove is clearly scared of.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I am sorry but it is people like the OP who give Carte Blanche to that odious creep to rip the stuffing out of the education system and then blame them for what he has done. There are so many great teachers who put their hearts and soul into a vocation which can be wonderfully rewarding. Its a demanding job and not particularly well paid but every teacher knows that before they start their training. The holidays are a great benefit but a lot of teachers spend a lot of that time preparing for the coming term. The profession used to be well respected but now they are treated as menials answerable to everybody. I work in a school as a Teaching Assistant and it is fantastically rewarding and my wife is a primary school teacher but I would never in a 100 years become a teacher.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
I am loving this thread... it is like peeping into the Common Room and smelling the pipe smoke, chalk dust and BO :laugh:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
The government want all schools to become academies!
All very confusing!

A cynic might say that his curriculum is so bad that schools then opt to become an academy. We are recently become an academy and have noticed no difference apart from the fact we can ignore the new curriculum should we wish.

On the subject of academies; it is a labour policy so not new but I worry about a dwindling local authority who won't be able to support schools. But then is that what government wants.

My own opinion on academies I'll keep to myself because I am a deputy headteacher and need to support the school publicly in big decisions.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rosen is brilliant. I was lucky enough to meet him as he came to give us a talk. I even got to ask him a question and praised him on his book "Sad Things".

Not read any of his stuff until today; thanks for the pointer.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Rosen is brilliant. I was lucky enough to meet him as he came to give us a talk. I even got to ask him a question and praised him on his book "Sad Things".

Do you mean 'Sad Book'? If so, that is one of the most profound children's books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Went to see him do the Big Book of Bad Things with my eldest son a couple of weeks ago. It was part kids show, part poetry, part stand up comedy. Both of us laughed the whole show through. Inspiring.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge

I've been fortunate to have attended his talk for writing seminars which have been inspiring.

The Sad Book is very powerful.

Rosen is worth following on twitter.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've been fortunate to have attended his talk for writing seminars which have been inspiring.

The Sad Book is very powerful.

Rosen is worth following on twitter.

The Sad Book is based on his own son who died young and features in his earlier poems. You do not have to be a child to appreciate it and for anyone who has recently lost a close friend or relative it is particularly poignant.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Sad Book is based on his own son who died young and features in his earlier poems. You do not have to be a child to appreciate it and for anyone who has recently lost a close friend or relative it is particularly poignant.

Yep. It brings tears to the eyes. It is unbelievably sad and moving, but an essential read.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Perhaps one of you teachers out there could explain why about 17% of school-leavers are functionally illiterate and innumerate? Clearly this child-centred think for yourself type of education has failed them. Doesn't that bother you? Children learn things in different ways, perhaps many would benefit from rote type learning of facts and figures in a structured lesson.

What would worry me more is if this education secretary, like all his predecessors, was prepared to write off 17% of the population if it meant a quiet life. At least he is trying to do something about it which is more than you are.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Perhaps one of you teachers out there could explain why about 17% of school-leavers are functionally illiterate and innumerate? Clearly this child-centred think for yourself type of education has failed them. Doesn't that bother you? Children learn things in different ways, perhaps many would benefit from rote type learning of facts and figures in a structured lesson.

What would worry me more is if this education secretary, like all his predecessors, was prepared to write off 17% of the population if it meant a quiet life. At least he is trying to do something about it which is more than you are.

You appear to be making an assumption that those 17% would not be illiterate or innumerate had they been taught in a different more traditional way. What evidence do you base this on?

Personally speaking i include more traditional styles of teaching in my attempts to provide learning opportunities to all my students. Rote learning and worksheets are very powerful teaching tools for many children.

There are many factors influencing a childs education. if you do investigate the 17% you are describing you will find a wide range of influences and reasons which have resulted in the childs failure at school. Within those reasons maybe teacher error, however given that each child has many many teachers throughout their education it would be very unlucky for them all to be incompetent.

Maybe some of the other factors could have more influence than the teachers. Teachers carry on teaching and trying to make a difference despite all the baggage that some children arrive at school with. We can only do so much in certain cases.

Are you really suggesting that teachers are not trying to do something about literacy levels??

As a fine example right now. In my grade this year I have a student who is falling behind in literacy and numeracy. This was flagged when she joined our school last year and i spent many hours working with her mother, the principal, last years teacher and our school Chaplin working out a adjusted curriculum and membership of catch up groups and opportunities to work more one to one with our teaching assistants style to try and bring her up to speed.

Did it work? Did it bollocks she never turns up and her mother never sent back the permission notes for the catch up groups. We have bent over backwards to provide this child with a quality education and will continue to do so (when she is at school). Other factors out of our control are making this child fall behind and as much as we have and will continue to do everything we can for her unless she turns up at school she will probably become one of your 17% and people like your good self will probably continue to blame me and my profession despite us being the factors in her education that are working hard to help her succeed.

Last edited:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck

My other half would like to give you a structured response to your criticism, however she is still working on he planning for tomorrow's lessons having started her working day at 8:00 this morning.

To turn your fact on its head, 83% of school leavers are literate and numerate. Teachers are not solely to blame for the 17% who are failing to grasp the basics. Parents need to take some of the responsibility. My other half teaches Year 2 and some of the parenting she deals with on a daily basis is mind boggling. Some parents are just not interested in their childs education. Its an attitude I find incredible. That is where the failing lies. Education does not just stop in the classroom. It begins in the home.

As the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here