Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Michael Appleton on tomorrow's game

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Speaks very well, and has read the Cardiff game / our style perfectly. From what he has said there, expect Portsmouth to sit very deep, and set up exactly as Cardiff did. I was expecting them to go the other way, and press us high up the pitch to deny us space to play it about, but he comments there, that he's watched other teams try that v us, and get picked off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still surreal hearing opposing managers and players talking about what a fabulous ground and set up we have now. It's so engrained hearing "no disrespect but we should be beating teams like Brighton" that I still half expect it when I listen to interviews.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Speaks very well, and has read the Cardiff game / our style perfectly. From what he has said there, expect Portsmouth to sit very deep, and set up exactly as Cardiff did. I was expecting them to go the other way, and press us high up the pitch to deny us space to play it about, but he comments there, that he's watched other teams try that v us, and get picked off.

I prefer it when teams sit deep. I know it doesn`t always make for a great spectacle but I`m always confident we`ll win those games. It shows a massive amount of respect when teams come and park the bus.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I prefer it when teams sit deep. I know it doesn`t always make for a great spectacle but I`m always confident we`ll win those games. It shows a massive amount of respect when teams come and park the bus.

lol I am the opposite! When I see a team running round and chasing our defenders and midfield I know they will just tire themselves out and we will be able to get at them in the second half with our pace.

I just worry when teams sit deep we struggle for the creativity to break them down. Fingers crossed Vicente is fit enough for the bench so we can call upon him if its still 0-0 or 1-1 in the second half

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I'd be happy if they approach the game the same as cardiff did because they are not as good as Cardiff & we created enough chances to beat them.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I like Appleton. Gotta feel a bit sorry for him too with the situation he's in.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
"Soften the blow before it happens" - he's already admitted defeat!

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
He deserves massive respect. Whatever happens to them this season Appleton is assured a bright future.
This all shows how far we have come. At the final whistle on the Cardiff game I felt a little deflated but on reflection I realise that is utter and complete nonsense. We have arrived big time. Listening to this interview confirms that. Loved the way he prasied us fans for our footballing knowledge - my god these are great days!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Appleton? - nothing against him. A decent guy doing a very difficult job. Hope we tonk them, but nothing against their manager

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Appleton is a thoughtful, widely respected coach. How he must be regretting his latest career move!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It wasn't a bad move for Appleton at all. Even if they get relegated with him in charge, he cannot possibly be blamed. It's the perfect first job: one in which your reputation can only be enhanced.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
it's going to be a football quiz question for the future so commit it to memory - Who was the last Portsmouth FC manager?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
lol I am the opposite! When I see a team running round and chasing our defenders and midfield I know they will just tire themselves out and we will be able to get at them in the second half with our pace.

I just worry when teams sit deep we struggle for the creativity to break them down. Fingers crossed Vicente is fit enough for the bench so we can call upon him if its still 0-0 or 1-1 in the second half

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here