Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mice

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Good plan - Something sticky, peanut butter is good, you need something that they have to nibble at. If you use a bit of biscuit, you'll come back to find a triggered trap, no biscuit and no mouse. Or worse still, a mouse running round with a trap stuck to some part of its body, but not across its neck.

Ok brilliant. Not being difficult but I'm allergic to peanuts so is jam any good?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
We live in an old house in the countryside, which means that we regularly get mice invasions. So from experience:

Humane traps don't work, you need to kill them.

There is very rarely just one mouse, they usually live in families of at least 3 or 4, and they breed fast.

You need to get rid of them as they can cause a lot of damage, and can chew through electricity cables etc.

The trap that we've found works consistently best is an electronic rat trap. Expensive, but the one we've got has accounted for many hundreds of mice over the years: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-Systems-Ltd-PSERK/dp/B000FII3YW/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1375865271&sr=1-3&keywords=electric+mouse+trap

Use peanut butter as bait. They can't resist the stuff...

Bloody hell 3/4 of them! Best I get cracking then! Only found one hole so far unless they all live in there

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I can only repeat what others have said. Humane traps did not work. A cat is the answer. Had a similar problem after we had been left catless (which is unusual). Went out and got two cats (as company for each other) Result - no more mice.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Not all cats are good mousers, and there's no way of knowing until they've had a go.

Jack Russels are apparently very good at catching mice.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Not all cats are good mousers, and there's no way of knowing until they've had a go.

Jack Russels are apparently very good at catching mice.

Ah yes but they've proven a very good deterrent in my experience.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another vote for a cat. Even if it's a crap hunter the mice will soon sod off anyway, and you won't have any sort of rodent problem again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
I have been distracted from last nights 'issues' by the realisation that there is a mouse in my house. I am prone to leaving my biscuits on the floor by the sofa and wandering off to bed.
Last night when I picked my biscuits up I noticed the chocolate on top was missing and that little bits of wrapper were shredded off. Presuming this to be a faulty biscuit and possibly my 9 month son attacking it whilst i wasnt looking I ate away. Waited until the game had finished and went to bed.

This morning I come downstairs to be treated with this:

View attachment 45608

And upon further inspection in the dining room I find this:

View attachment 45609

So I now know I have a mouse, that he likes caramel digestives, that I have been eating the biscuit he couldn't finish and I also now know where it lives.
Now I don't really want to kill it but how else can politely get him to f*ck off without having blood on my hands? A trap would obviously do the trick as he is clearly a hungry chap but are there any non lethal procedures I can follow?

put your food away you slob

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
One of our cats is a particularly good hunter. Came home, one day last year, to find this bugger (dead luckily) on the kitchen floor. The knife is for scale, it's not what the cat used to kill it.

21.12.12 001.JPG

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Another vote for a cat. Even if it's a crap hunter the mice will soon sod off anyway, and you won't have any sort of rodent problem again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

A lazy cat who sleeps 20 hours a day will still do the trick.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
put your food away you slob

I hardly think a half eaten packet of biscuits next to the sofa which are put away first thing in the morning classifies me as a slob.

Jul 7, 2003
Tried the humane and sonic traps and all rubbish. Went for the good old fashioned 'little nipper' (about£1.25 from your local hardware shop) and work a treat. Mould part of one of your caramel digestives around the spike and wait for the mouse to commit suicide.

One warning. Don't try to reset the trap after you have had a few alcoholic beverages. Tried this after getting home from the pub a few weeks ago and the bruise under my finger nail was very painful!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Poison works best. Traps are a nuisance.

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
Ok brilliant. Not being difficult but I'm allergic to peanuts so is jam any good?

Don't use jam or anything sweet as you may succeed in trapping the mice but you'll attract ants aswell. I used jam last summer in a humane trap, gave up after catching and releasing 4 mice into woods a mile away (as they kept coming) and bought a poison bait block. Mice problem solved though took weeks to get rid of the flipping ants...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here