Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Met Police wanted to ban Albion fans?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In view of the problems in the past it would be better if only Homes fans were able to attend.

Please tell me you are joking? Football without away fans, really

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The more I think about the ticket conditions, the worse they seem.

The 'carrying ID' part I don't particularly like as we don't live in Russia but can just about put up with as, I suppose, it's a practical attempt to avoid trouble. Morally wrong in a free country but not a big deal to each individual.

The ban element though is just ridiculous. I have three season tickets - two of which are available. I know several people who are long-standing Albion fans and have been to many, many games through the years but don't have the required loyalty points. All are entirely trustworthy, have never caused trouble, would never cause trouble and genuine supporters.

Now, there is a case to say that they deserve to go less than someone who does have the loyalty points and may miss out.. which is entirely fair. Wouldn't argue against that. But setting that aside..

If these entirely honest, normal football fans - all good citizens - take possession of one of my tickets then we are all banned for a year. Without being involved in any wrongdoing whatsoever. That is just not right on any level.

I'm fine with imposing a restriction that if anyone is arrested and charged then they and the ticket supplier get a ban. In itself, that would prevent people passing on tickets to others that they can't be sure are trustworthy, which is surely the aim?

It appears we've gone back to the eighties. '1984' in particular.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
The ban element though is just ridiculous. I have three season tickets - two of which are available. I know several people who are long-standing Albion fans and have been to many, many games through the years but don't have the required loyalty points. All are entirely trustworthy, have never caused trouble, would never cause trouble and genuine supporters.

But it is against the law to pass on football tickets anyway.

Dandyman

In London village.
If you truly believe that is the solution then a part of me has died inside. David Evans - ex-Luton chairman and borderline fascist argued this in the 1980s as the way forward. He was wrong then and you're wrong now - it would kill football. I mean that. I think I'd give up going if away fans were banned.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The more I think about the ticket conditions, the worse they seem.

The 'carrying ID' part I don't particularly like as we don't live in Russia but can just about put up with as, I suppose, it's a practical attempt to avoid trouble. Morally wrong in a free country but not a big deal to each individual.

Now, there is a case to say that they deserve to go less than someone who does have the loyalty points and may miss out.. which is entirely fair. Wouldn't argue against that. But setting that aside..

If these entirely honest, normal football fans - all good citizens - take possession of one of my tickets then we are all banned for a year. Without being involved in any wrongdoing whatsoever. That is just not right on any level.

I'm fine with imposing a restriction that if anyone is arrested and charged then they and the ticket supplier get a ban. In itself, that would prevent people passing on tickets to others that they can't be sure are trustworthy, which is surely the aim?

It appears we've gone back to the eighties. '1984' in particular.

Very well put. A ban for simply possessing a ticket sold under someone else's name makes no sense. What if a single person who bought a bunch of tickets for friends/family gets quizzed by the Met prior to match and meeting said friends? What about 1901ers who have tickets, maybe in the name of a company, which are legitimately interchangeable? How do you prove you are Mr Sussex Tyre Fitters?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But it is against the law to pass on football tickets anyway.

It's illegal to sell tickets. It may be a breach of the 'non-transferable' condition but I don't think it's illegal to allow someone else to use them. In any case, that's a law that was brought in to combat hooliganism. Even the club themselves happily admit they turn a blind eye to people allowing friends that they know to be trustworthy to use them. It's common sense and happens all the time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very well put. A ban for simply possessing a ticket sold under someone else's name makes no sense. What if a single person who bought a bunch of tickets for friends/family gets quizzed by the Met prior to match and meeting said friends? What about 1901ers who have tickets, maybe in the name of a company, which are legitimately interchangeable? How do you prove you are Mr Sussex Tyre Fitters?

As it happens, the ticket I'm using is in the name of my company. So I suppose I'll be taking a business bank statement to prove it's mine. Other than that, not sure what I can do. Perhaps they'll have to run a police check with Companies House if they don't like the look of me?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
As it happens, the ticket I'm using is in the name of my company. So I suppose I'll be taking a business bank statement to prove it's mine. Other than that, not sure what I can do. Perhaps they'll have to run a police check with Companies House if they don't like the look of me?

His year end accounts are overdue, nick him, lads.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know several people who are long-standing Albion fans and have been to many, many games through the years but don't have the required loyalty points. All are entirely trustworthy, have never caused trouble, would never cause trouble and genuine supporters.

Like some of your friends, I have been to plenty of games over the years, and I too don't have enough points for this one (have an ST though). But if you hand out your tickets, then someone else that has their own ST and has also been to a lot of other games misses out. So while I empathise with your friends' situation, it's not exactly fair that they (an me) get tickets ahead of those more deserving (as per the loyalty scheme).

I plan on going anyway, and if I need someone else's ID then that's what I'll do.

EDIT - Got my ticket sorted, complete with ID

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Like some of your friends, I have been to plenty of games over the years, and I too don't have enough points for this one (have an ST though). But if you hand out your tickets, then someone else that has their own ST and has also been to a lot of other games misses out. So while I empathise with your friends' situation, it's not exactly fair that they (an me) get tickets ahead of those more deserving (as per the loyalty scheme).

I plan on going anyway, and if I need someone else's ID then that's what I'll do.

EDIT - Got my ticket sorted, complete with ID

Erm, not quite sure what point you're making though? So it's not okay for people without the requisite loyalty points to go but that's also exactly what you're doing?

I did acknowledge the 'unfairness' of that anyway (although one of my friends did go to Hereford, Gillingham etc and was a Withdean ST holder for several years before moving away, so I'd say their claim is as valid as anyone's). The point was more about the proposal to ban for people who have not in any way caused a public nuisance.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Erm, not quite sure what point you're making though? So it's not okay for people without the requisite loyalty points to go but that's also exactly what you're doing?
It is what I'm doing, but I wouldn't complain if I couldn't. If I couldn't get a ticket because fans with more points than me are getting them all, then fair enough. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try and get a ticket anyway.

one of my friends did go to Hereford, Gillingham etc and was a Withdean ST holder for several years
So did I, and I have a season ticket now, I just don't have enough loyalty points - but I accept that the idea of loyalty points is a good one.
The point was more about the proposal to ban for people who have not in any way caused a public nuisance.
Yes it is extremely harsh. It's a risk I'm willing to take, and fortunately it's a risk the owner of the tickets is willing to take too :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is what I'm doing, but I wouldn't complain if I couldn't. If I couldn't get a ticket because fans with more points than me are getting them all, then fair enough. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try and get a ticket anyway.

So did I, and I have a season ticket now, I just don't have enough loyalty points - but I accept that the idea of loyalty points is a good one.
Yes it is extremely harsh. It's a risk I'm willing to take, and fortunately it's a risk the owner of the tickets is willing to take too :)

All fair enough. Can't complain about the loyalty points scheme at all.. they have to attempt something to make it fair. In reality, I think it's always been the way that people who've been around/watching the club a long time tend to have the connections to get a ticket somehow and those that aren't really so bothered give up as soon it's tricky. So the vast majority of people who get a ticket, regardless of loyalty points, are, like you, a 'real' fan rather than just jumping on the bandwagon, no matter what the loyalty points say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here