Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

messi

goofball

Aug 24, 2011
lionel messi vs chelsea, apps 6 goals 0, good stats there , dont think he even had a shot on target yes terday, and got tackled for the goal, wouldnt cut it against excellent defenders like terry. all they do is big up messi and last night he wasnt very good...???

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Right. Firstly everytime he got the ball he was SWARMED over by 5 players who had the SOLE intention of taking him out.

There was one camera angle which showed 2 players nipping at his ankles before Terry slid in, took Messi out and never even SCRAPED the ball.

The tactics were fair enough, but on a tight pitch with 5 people trying to destroy you, its always going to be near-on- impossible.

he still nearly got through as well despite all this.,

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Thought he was a little off, still managed to dribble through numerous players though, but that's Messi, and that's what he does. But credit to Chelsea, they marked him well and once he was on the ball he was shut down by 2/3 players instantly. The second leg will be interesting!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
What... Excellent defender like Terry??? That's an on his way out slow old donkey??? Are you a chelsea fan? or just :fishing:

Don't you think Messi has already played against the top defenders in the world having already won the Champions League.

Not an excuse but Stamford bridge is too small for Messi and Barca.. which does stop his normal game... slightly

My money is on a Messi goal in the return leg and Barc qualification..

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Have to say though that Cashley was superb. He was fantastic against Chelsea. Hope he keeps the form up for the euros.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He's bloody rubbish that Messi bloke

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:fishing:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Cole, Terry and Cahill were absolutely phenomenal last night. Along with Micah Richards, that should probably be England's back 4 for the Euros.

The Giant Bolster

Apr 18, 2012
Messi doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Best player in my lifetime by a country mile. On another note, Cahill, Terry and Cole at the back were excellent, add Richards or Walker in at right back, could be good for England in the summer.

goofball

Aug 24, 2011
Thought he was a little off, still managed to dribble through numerous players though, but that's Messi, and that's what he does. But credit to Chelsea, they marked him well and once he was on the ball he was shut down by 2/3 players instantly. The second leg will be interesting!

yeah the second leg will be tough ,on a very big pitch, barca r still favourites , but after 3 years ago, when them 4 pens were turned down,chelsea deserve revenge, i just hope uefalona dont have the ref on there side, chelsea are due a champions league ,been so unlucky, now with an average chelsea side are 1 game away from final, to all the ppl that want cheating uefalona to win.. why? we see every year they get decisions

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The Chelsea defenders did have all of the midfield back helping them with just Drogba left up front rolling around. 9 men behind the ball is always difficult for a team to break down - depsite this Barca could, and probably should have scored about 4 goals last night. It's a very fine line between saying a defence was outstanding when they still gave away plenty of glorious goal scoring chances.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cole, Terry and Cahill were absolutely phenomenal last night. Along with Micah Richards, that should probably be England's back 4 for the Euros.

Messi doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. Best player in my lifetime by a country mile. On another note, Cahill, Terry and Cole at the back were excellent, add Richards or Walker in at right back, could be good for England in the summer.

These. Although, obviously once they put England shirts on, they for some reason suddenly become players not good enough to deal with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc, when they were superb against them last night. Oh well.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Oh dear. Judge a player by one performance!

Oh no, hang on though, isn't snap judgement the standard NSC MO?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Chelsea defenders did have all of the midfield back helping them with just Drogba left up front rolling around. 9 men behind the ball is always difficult for a team to break down - depsite this Barca could, and probably should have scored about 4 goals last night. It's a very fine line between saying a defence was outstanding when they still gave away plenty of glorious goal scoring chances.

I'd say Barca had one EXCELLENT chance (Fabregas/Iniesta at the end), and one GOOD chance (Sanchez was it, with the lob?). So no, I don't totally agree. Chelsea contained them very well, all their shots from outside the area got nowhere near the goal.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'd say Barca had one EXCELLENT chance (Fabregas/Iniesta at the end), and one GOOD chance (Sanchez was it, with the lob?). So no, I don't totally agree. Chelsea contained them very well, all their shots from outside the area got nowhere near the goal.

There was the Sanchez lob that hit the bar, the Fabregas chip that was cleared off the line by Cole, a shot blazed over the bar towards the end (can't remember who now), then the shot that hit the post at the end and the rebound also blazed over. Possible penalty shouts for shove on Iniesta first half and trip on Messi (99% of other players would have hit the ground but Messi carried on to try and keep the ball).

Chelsea defended well but they had to do so in huge numbers whilst still giving away some great chances. If they play like that again next week, the score could be quite embarrassing as Barca won't miss all those chances again

Edit: As reminded by Robdinho below, Fabregas FLUFFED a sitter first half too by scuffing it wide - so many GREAT chances

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Well they also hit the woodwork twice, Fabregas miss kicked from about a yard out in the first half, Busquets spooned over a near open goal at the end, Puyol's header that needed a good save from Cech...

The Giant Bolster

Apr 18, 2012
There was the Sanchez lob that hit the bar, the Fabregas chip that was cleared off the line by Cole, a shot blazed over the bar towards the end (can't remember who now), then the shot that hit the post at the end and the rebound also blazed over. Possible penalty shouts for shove on Iniesta first half and trip on Messi (99% of other players would have hit the ground but Messi carried on to try and keep the ball).

Chelsea defended well but they had to do so in huge numbers whilst still giving away some great chances. If they play like that again next week, the score could be quite embarrassing as Barca won't miss all those chances again

The open goal that Fabregas miskicked and vollied wide after Iniesta's shot in the first half.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The open goal that Fabregas miskicked and vollied wide after Iniesta's shot in the first half.

Indeed. To say they only had 1 excellent and 1 good chance is slightly misguided in my opinion. It wouldn't have been undeserved had they won 4 or 5-1 last night. Not sure there would have been many plaudits for the defence then

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
we see every year they get decisions

Got any examples apart from that game years ago against Chelsea?

The reason they always get to the final is because they are BRILLIANT. If you pound and opposition penalty area for 90 mins the chance is you will naturally win more penalty's/free kicks.

Certainly not a conspiracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here