Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi wonder goal - Best goal ever?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They were in a position to make an attacking contribution, if needed.

I dream of a time when an Albion striker has the ball and options.
As well as seeing a stretched defence, all in front of him.

It's got to be better than being out played and out thought by Danny freakin Shittu.

Got to say my order would be 1. Messi 2. Giggs 3. Bale ..................... Bales superb but was more about running than dribbling/beating players

I would swap 1 and 2 as I feel the keeper was at fault for Messis goal and should have saved it. Giggs was equal in beating players but he put in an unstoppable shot for any keeper.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Without comparing Messi's goal to anything achieved by other players (because it could take a while, there are some utterly unbelievable goals out there and personal taste dictates any 'ranking'), I would be inclined to say it's one of his best goals, but I can think of at least one better.

I have to admit I can't remember the team it was against but it was essentially a carbon copy of Maradona's goal against England (not THAT one), but somehow sped up. If nothing else, that he has goals comparable to the one scored in the Copa Del Rey final shows that he truly is an immensely talented player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Got to say my order would be 1. Messi 2. Giggs 3. Bale ..................... Bales superb but was more about running than dribbling/beating players
Yes, another vote for this.

Mind you, if we're cobbling together magnificent goals from current superstars, I think this remains my favourite from football's own Figjam, Ibrahimovic:

[yt]ZgqsaDnsEq8[/yt]

It's my favourite but STILL not as good as Messi's, IMO. (Crap opposition, and meaningless in the context of the game, Ajax were 4-1 up, but WHAT a showman)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, you mean like George Best used to do? Of course, that was back before football was invented - and some of it wasn't even on tele, ffs!

Yep, exactly like George Best, another genius with the ball at his feet. Best had to cope with a much more physical game too. My praising of Messi in no way diminishes other footballing geniuses you know.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, exactly like George Best, another genius with the ball at his feet. Best had to cope with a much more physical game too. My praising of Messi in no way diminishes other footballing geniuses you know.

Fair enough. It just goes to show that it's impossible to definitely identify the 'Best Goal of All Time', though - there are so many, all with different characteristics and points of view, and different techniques involved. How many of Jimmy Greaves' goals have any of us ever seen? - or Pele's - or Dixie Dean's or James McGrory's?

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I dont think its such an unrealistic comment to make, the standard of defending in the PL is a lot higher, plus he has struggled to score against English sides in the past.

This always makes me smile. Higher than what? Barcelona only ever play against the top four in England and yet since 2008/09 when Guardiola actually started playing him as a striker instead of a winger (which is the season his goals tally dramatically increased in all competitions), he has 10 goals in 14 games against English teams. I'd be interested to know if you can name me a Premier League striker who has that strike rate against English top-four sides?

The defending in the Premier League in general is no better than it is in La Liga in general, including those teams near the bottom (but not bad enough to be relegated) who were capable of conceding eight and six respectively against Southampton.

With 10 goals in 14 against top four sides alone (spread over seven seasons), which would equate to 27 goals in a 38-game PL season, we can only wonder what Messi's strike-rate would be against the bottom four.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because they have the best and some of the highest paid players in the world. We are Brighton - we don't!
Oh yeah of course silly me.
Here I am thinking all is relative and it doesn't matter where you're competing, just how you compete.

I wonder how many Bournemouth and Watford fans are watching that clip desperately wishing their side could break forward in numbers at speed?
I'll give you a clue - the answer is NONE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here