Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi player of the tournament?!?!

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
The stage was set for Messi to write his name into immortality, this tournament. Could he join that very rare breed that have carried their countries to World Cup glory. Answer. No.
He and Christiano Ronaldo are recognised as the two best players in the World but neither have proved capable of carrying their side to victory, at the highest level. Messi had a chance last night. Germany were the better team, Argentina had the better chances. The final set-piece was Messi's legacy. All his teammates in the box and he curls an inept free-kick miles wide. Head and heart gone, the pressure got to him.
It is sad that he has been voted player of the tournament because that does a grave disservice to others who were better. He is massively talented but not one of the all-time greats. He lacks the personality, presence and power of Maradona who could sweep teammates along with him.
The decision epitomises FIFA and throws credibility out of the window.
Good post :thumbsup:

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
FIFA's World Player of the Year more times than we have had managers at the Amex, written in stone who was going to win it. Total fix, failure is rewarded yet again.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Just in case you thought FIFA might actually have a clue, they don't disappoint us right at the end - coming up with a nonsensical award to a player who was probably even more embarrassed and upset to receive it. Player of the tournament for me James Rodrgiuez - but he might have inconveniently gone home, so they had to give to someone close by. FIFA = corrupt = clueless

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Messi has it on a plate plays for Barca you are bound to win things,Maradona never clicked there so went to provincal club Napoli .At Napoli he led them to 2 Titles [their 1st ever in 1986 becoming the 1st club from southern Italy to win a Title] and a Uefa Cup.Go on Lionel move to say Villerael and show us how good you are

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Bizarre choice.....corporate decision.
Messi seemed totally indifferent to the team talk for extra time, and didnt even appear to be paying attention.
Corporate world wins again....

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
tbf to messi I can see why he was given it. clearly he was not the best player in the tournament but I may be inclined to having the greatest effect on the tournament.

without him argentina would not have got to the final as it was him who scored/assisted all the big winning goals - winning goals that ultimately took them to the big stage. so yes it probably wrong in saying that he showed the most talent or individual class but in no way is it wrong in saying that he was the best player overall

for what its worth I personally feel it should of gone to vlaar, rodriguez or robben but :shrug: its not up to me

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a bit like some of the Sponsor's choices for Albion man of the match - no real logic behind it, especially after a few beers. In that regard, I don't take much notice of it. The only real winners are Germany (obviously) and James Rodriguez (Scored more goals than everyone else).

I don't buy into this "to be the greatest you need to win the World Cup" nonsense anyway. There is only so much Messi could do in an average team. But, he didn't really turn up anyway - not playing like he has done for Barcelona. If Argentina had won – and therefore he was automatically on a par with Pele and Maradonna – it would be a bit contrived anyway. It is just all hype for the pundits and experts to talk about - and provide Talksport with more fodder as it eeks out every bit of its "Official Partner of the FIFA World Cup" tag that little bit longer.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's a bit like some of the Sponsor's choices for Albion man of the match - no real logic behind it, especially after a few beers. In that regard, I don't take much notice of it.

The Golden Ball at the World Cup is a little different to man of the match award against Doncaster Rovers.

He was CLEARLY not player of the tournament. 99% of football fans would agree.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
tbf to messi I can see why he was given it. clearly he was not the best player in the tournament but I may be inclined to having the greatest effect on the tournament.

without him argentina would not have got to the final as it was him who scored/assisted all the big winning goals - winning goals that ultimately took them to the big stage. so yes it probably wrong in saying that he showed the most talent or individual class but in no way is it wrong in saying that he was the best player overall

for what its worth I personally feel it should of gone to vlaar, rodriguez or robben but :shrug: its not up to me

Sorry but he wasnt even Argentinas best player. Mascherano was their man of the tournement by a country mile. He was immense last night and in the semi.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I love these discussions. First of all, it implies that this award has any sort of meaning. But whenever it gets awarded, then just like FIFA's team of the year, message boards are full of complaints as if Blatter himself has made the decisions. Or adidas, apparently, in this case.

For those of you who need someone to blame, then throw it at these people, because they're the ones who decided on Messi:

Gerard Houllier, Mixu Paatelainen, Raul Arias, Gabriel Calderon, Ricki Herbert, Abdel Hussein, Kwok Ka Ming, Ioan Lupescu, Gines Melendez Sotos, Tsuneyasu Miyamoto, Sunday Oliseh, Jaime Rodriguez, Theodore Whitmore.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's a bit like some of the Sponsor's choices for Albion man of the match - no real logic behind it, especially after a few beers. In that regard, I don't take much notice of it. The only real winners are Germany (obviously) and James Rodriguez (Scored more goals than everyone else).

Quite. Goetze won the Man of the Match Award for the final.

I guess the first 88 minutes didn't actually count for anything.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love these discussions. First of all, it implies that this award has any sort of meaning. But whenever it gets awarded, then just like FIFA's team of the year, message boards are full of complaints as if Blatter himself has made the decisions. Or adidas, apparently, in this case.

For those of you who need someone to blame, then throw it at these people, because they're the ones who decided on Messi:

Gerard Houllier, Mixu Paatelainen, Raul Arias, Gabriel Calderon, Ricki Herbert, Abdel Hussein, Kwok Ka Ming, Ioan Lupescu, Gines Melendez Sotos, Tsuneyasu Miyamoto, Sunday Oliseh, Jaime Rodriguez, Theodore Whitmore.

I've heard of Gerard Houllier

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
would be interesting to see the full list of MOM. I think there was quite a high % of keepers

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'd have given it to Neuer. great goalkeeper and sweeper. He could've had the golden gloves, golden ball and Higuain's head on a plate.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A large amount of Albion Fans voted for Kuzcack and Ulloa as being our players of the season, I find that a lot odder than Messi being the player of the World Cup

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The Golden Ball at the World Cup is a little different to man of the match award against Doncaster Rovers.

He was CLEARLY not player of the tournament. 99% of football fans would agree.

I agree with everything you've said, TCT.

However the principle of "Who shall we give it too? Oh, him – he'll do" still stands. No thought, or effort gone into the decision-making process - just the choice of who they perceive to be the best player. The way FIFA carries on, I'm surprised they didn't give it to Neymar :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see that Thomas Muller was 2nd and Arjen Robben was third. James Rodriguez can clearly go **** himself.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd have given it to Neuer. great goalkeeper and sweeper. He could've had the golden gloves, golden ball and Higuain's head on a plate.

Did Neuer even have a difficult save to make in the whole tournament? he barely had a save to make in the final (mainly because the Argies couldn't hit the target)

I don't think that he did enough to merit it myself.

Messi was one of the few skillful players who tended to stay on their feet and take on players without resorting to the throw yourself to the ground and roll about style tactics a lot of the so called better players did (like Robben and co) and i suppose that he was one of the main reasons why Argentina made it to the final whereas Germany were a team where everyone really played a part in getting them there so i can see why they chose him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here