Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Messi OR Ronaldo?

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I still find it strange people are so obsessed with Messi, the Spanish League is so weak after the top 4 or 5 teams, at least CR has been dominant in England too.

A redundant argument. Both players have the same rate of scoring in Champions League fixtures as they do in the Spanish League for instance, and both have very healthy scoring records in "clasicos" (Messi 18 goals in 25 games, Ronaldo 12 goals in 19 games).

It's bizarre to suggest that Messi wouldn't be equally or more successful in the Premier League given that, for example,Aguero, Michu and even Torres scored more goals in their first seasons in the PL than they ever managed in Spain.

As far as the question is concerned, up to this season I've never thought there was much doubt that Messi was better. Currently, that's not the case.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Can't believe this is even a debate!

They're both phenomenal but Messi is without doubt the better player, his ball control and agility are far superior to Ronaldo. Ronaldo is capable of scoring great long-range goals, and headers, but that's not how Barca play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll take the one who doesn't end his career in embroiled in a PED scandal.

So that'll be neither, then.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Both are shit on international stage though, much like gerrard and lampard.

Neither have really had their country build their team around them in the same way that their clubs have and so consequently they haven't fully shone for their country. That said, Messi's goalscoring record for Argentina has significantly improved in the past 2 years. Portugal have not tended to get the best out of Ronaldo as he has less of a free role for Portugal and he has to go hunting the ball more because he is playing alongside a fairly mediocre group of players in the current Portugal side.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Messi seems to be able to make runs that no other player can, the ball just sticks to him. Ronaldo has everything you'd want in a footballer comfortable with both feet and his head, endless pace and skill. I'd like to see both in the premiership but could see Ronaldo being the preferred player for a lot of premiership managers just for what he would add to their team

Oct 25, 2003
i find it odd that people are DEFINITELY in one camp or the other, like it's a foregone conclusion...it's clearly quite close

SLIGHTLY messi

he's also slightly younger.....ronaldo is probably at his prime right now

Oct 25, 2003
Both are shit on international stage though, much like gerrard and lampard.

messi has scored 6 goals in 7 games at international level this year, and TWELVE goals in NINE games last year

he is now Argentina's 2nd highest goalscorer of all time (aged 26)

ronaldo is also his countries 2nd highest goalscorer (just 4 goals behind 1st) and has only scored 6 goals less than England's highest goalscorer (Bobby Charlton).

if they are 'shit', what do you class as 'good'?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Right now, Ronaldo is better.

But a fit and on form Lionel Messi is THE best ever. His performance against Espanyol last night was the worst I have ever seen from Lionel Messi.

The Classico showed one thing for certain, neother Barcelona nor Real were half as good as they were last season. Atletico have a real chance to do a Valencia and nick the title this season. If they retain their composure and believe they can do it. If they do, and they have already beaten Real at the Bernabeu, it will be the biggest achievement in club football that I can think of.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Which Ronaldo?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here