Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Message from scotland

seagull@stirling

Jan 17, 2006
:facepalm:

err what's goin on?

and btw i would rather we were playing badly in the finals instead of being pamped out last October...

Still, beat Slovenia and back on track i guess...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"From Scotland" being the operative phrase here!

And yes, we are well aware we played absolute shite tonight. But to be fair most of us have long expected such shitness.
:thumbsup:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
yep after 43 years of crap,i aint suprised and it dont hurt,now brighton on the other hand,i will see more passion at the footy tourne tom

seagull@stirling

Jan 17, 2006
If you were expecting it why are the press so shocked, honestly is this the feeling amongst most supporters?

All we get up here is what the EBC and ITV shovel us, which is your name is already on it.

(honestly i'm not trying shit stir here just wantin honest opinion)

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
put it this way,i have had 2 winning bets on england so far,so im happy

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, surely most people are faintly embarrassed by the one-eyed jingoism the
World cup engenders in the tabloid press. Mostly because it sells newspapers I guess.

Can't speak for others, but I have never once thought we were favourites to win this. Defence is slow, we have no #1 keeper and the formation is uncertain.

I hate all this Our Boys bullshit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seriously, surely most people are faintly embarrassed by the one-eyed jingoism the World cup engenders in the tabloid press. Mostly because it sells newspapers I guess.

And big plasma TVs. And whole lakes of Stella. Don't knock the World Cup hype, probably about the only thing keeping the economy afloat at the moment.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And big plasma TVs. And lakes of Stella. Don't knock the World Cup hype, probably about the only thing keeping the economy afloat at the moment.

I realise that, but it doesn't mean all of us are booking the day off work for the final!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Seriously, surely most people are faintly embarrassed by the one-eyed jingoism the
World cup engenders in the tabloid press. Mostly because it sells newspapers I guess.

Can't speak for others, but I have never once thought we were favourites to win this. Defence is slow, we have no #1 keeper and the formation is uncertain.

I hate all this Our Boys bullshit.
The sooner England go home, the sooner this tournament will be worth watching.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I hope Andy Murray wins Wimbledon. It would give BRITAIN something to cheer then this summer.:wink:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
If you were expecting it why are the press so shocked, honestly is this the feeling amongst most supporters?

All we get up here is what the EBC and ITV shovel us, which is your name is already on it.

(honestly i'm not trying shit stir here just wantin honest opinion)

Hi James,

Like many others on here I am sadly embarrassed by the "England World Champs 2010" nonsense that's been in the press for months. The England Premiershite prima donnas have found their level at last. Maybe it will put a stop to the "Scotland goalkeeper" bigots of the English media?

Unlike the fans up here who support their country through thick and thin, best demonstrated by real fans in the Tartan Army, there are many England fans who are deluded enough to believe the press and think England have a divine right to dominate the football world.

Whilst I will continue to wear my England shirt around the village, and exchange footy banter with the 10 year old Scottish Nationalists in the park, I am a realist and don't think England will get much further in this competition.

It's a shame Scotland aren't there so I could join in the partying with you and the foot soldiers.

Anyway, Carlisle away on 18 September. A BHAlba day out for your diary. We'll make the arrangements early this time. :thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Hi James,

Like many others on here I am sadly embarrassed by the "England World Champs 2010" nonsense that's been in the press for months. The England Premiershite prima donnas have found their level at last. Maybe it will put a stop to the "Scotland goalkeeper" bigots of the English media?

Unlike the fans up here who support their country through thick and thin, best demonstrated by real fans in the Tartan Army, there are many England fans who are deluded enough to believe the press and think England have a divine right to dominate the football world.

Whilst I will continue to wear my England shirt around the village, and exchange footy banter with the 10 year old Scottish Nationalists in the park, I am a realist and don't think England will get much further in this competition.

It's a shame Scotland aren't there so I could join in the partying with you and the foot soldiers.

Anyway, Carlisle away on 18 September. A BHAlba day out for your diary. We'll make the arrangements early this time. :thumbsup:

Big difference though isn't there. Scotland are essentially a shit football team that if they got to the world cup then they would just be happy to be there with no real ambitions to win.

England are a far superior team and are expected to beat the likes of Algeria.

Were the tartan army all happy and smiley when they went 2-0 down to the Faroe Islands? No, because they understand that they should be beating inferior teams.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I was Scottish I'd be wanting England to get through against Slovenia. The current mood in England is "we're shite, we're going to lose and go out at the Group stage." Consequently if we DO lose to Slovenia it will be a very low-key exit - where's the fun in that?

Surely the fun for Scots is when the whole of England goes crazy with expectation (which people who understand football know is totally unrealic expectation but the part-timers just get swept up in the hype), and then it all goes horribly wrong in the knock-out phase?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm beginning to come round to the Scottish model as a more enjoyable experience of World Cups. None of this inflation of hope and expectation of reaching the finals - they used to do that regularly, only to have their hopes crushed exactly as we now experience every four years. Now, they get to enjoy results like beating France home and away during qualifying campaigns without having to go through the expense and disappointment of a fruitless finals campaign at the end of it.

They can then sit back and watch the occasional games of high quality football that the finals throw up in an atmosphere of relaxed and neutral (other then when we're playing) appreciation. I'm all for it - as has been said before, the despair I can handle, it's the hope I can't stand.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
I'm beginning to come round to the Scottish model as a more enjoyable experience of World Cups. None of this inflation of hope and expectation of reaching the finals - they used to do that regularly, only to have their hopes crushed exactly as we now experience every four years. Now, they get to enjoy results like beating France home and away during qualifying campaigns without having to go through the expense and disappointment of a fruitless finals campaign at the end of it.

They can then sit back and watch the occasional games of high quality football that the finals throw up in an atmosphere of relaxed and neutral (other then when we're playing) appreciation. I'm all for it - as has been said before, the despair I can handle, it's the hope I can't stand.

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
If I was Scottish I'd be wanting England to get through against Slovenia. The current mood in England is "we're shite, we're going to lose and go out at the Group stage." Consequently if we DO lose to Slovenia it will be a very low-key exit - where's the fun in that?

Surely the fun for Scots is when the whole of England goes crazy with expectation (which people who understand football know is totally unrealic expectation but the part-timers just get swept up in the hype), and then it all goes horribly wrong in the knock-out phase?

Whilst there is the ABE (Anyone But England) banter I don't believe most Scots want England to fail because of the England fans.. it's the English press and media hype that does it for Scots! :wozza:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here