Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Steven Woolfe quits UKIP

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Fair enough - but I think we're both getting ahead of ourselves. Article 50 gets invoked early next year (though why it can't be done sooner, given that apparently negotiations can't start until it's done, I don't know) so we'll be out of the EU early in 2019. Election is not until 2020 - the political landscape will be totally changed by then.
UKIP will just be a fringe right wing party, with no appeal to Labour leavers. However, if Labour is busy conspiring with the Lib Dems and the SNP to try and get us re-admitted to the EU, I can't see them winning back many votes, Corbyn or no Corbyn.

I suppose what it comes down to is that UKIP/SNP have mainly taken votes from traditional Labour voters. Although I accept they took votes from across the political spectrum it is Labour that has been hit hardest .

If UKIP are no longer standing at a GE then they will have no alternative than to vote for Labour . With regards to the EU and this is all hypothetical of course , but if Labour said they wanted access to single market and the Tories want a hard Brexit surely voters in Labour heartlands may believe there jobs depend on being in the single market (e.g Nissan) and would vote for Labour on those grounds .

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I suppose what it comes down to is that UKIP/SNP have mainly taken votes from traditional Labour voters. Although I accept they took votes from across the political spectrum it is Labour that has been hit hardest .

If UKIP are no longer standing at a GE then they will have no alternative than to vote for Labour . With regards to the EU and this is all hypothetical of course , but if Labour said they wanted access to single market and the Tories want a hard Brexit surely voters in Labour heartlands may believe there jobs depend on being in the single market (e.g Nissan) and would vote for Labour on those grounds .

Personally I can not vote Labour again,so count me out if no UKIP around.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Firstly, UKIP may be in disarray - and once we're out of the EU, to most people their existence will be pointless - I still expect UKIP to field candidates at the GE in 2020.
By the time 2020 comes round, more than two years after Article 50 is invoked, we'll be out - so whether it's a hard Brexit or a soft Brexit will be irrelevant at the GE, because it will already be done and dusted - either way.
Not too sure about your final point either - during the referendum campaign pretty much the only argument remain came up with was the economic one; it didn't carry much weight to 17M of us then - don't think that will change much before 2020. Anyway, no reason why Nissan would pull out - we'll still be buying Nissans made in Britain, and I'm sure we'll be exporting a lot of them too.

D

Deleted member 22389

I will never vote for the Labour party again, ever. I will just mark the box for an independent instead or not bother voting at all. Labour where another reason to vote Leave for me and millions of other voters. I notice Labour pick up many votes from migrants, because migrants don't know any better and just listen to the same old nasty Tory messages that the party likes to pump out. I believed them as well in 1997, what a mistake that was, never to be repeated.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I can not vote Labour again,so count me out if no UKIP around.

I couldn't either at the moment; not unless or until they change their stance on Europe. Hopefully, by the time the GE comes round in 2020 we'll be out (and the EU won't let us back again even if we asked) and Labour, even if they don't like leaving the EU, will have wakened to the realpolitick that a). the opportunity to remain is gone, and b). a large number of their hard core support didn't want to stay in.
In which case, they'll have a good chance of getting my vote again, providing they don't do anything silly.........

......hmmm.......just thinking about that last phrase...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here